British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

The seller has pointed this out. Maybe they can't read or just don't care. I suspect they will accumulate a large amount of dross over time.

Edited by Rob

The seller has pointed this out. Maybe they can't read or just don't care. I suspect they will accumulate a large amount of dross over time.

I missed the cleaned bit initially.

I wouldn't have to read but just move on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUEEN-VICTORIA-1862-BRITISH-LOVE-HALF-PENNY-COIN-/301071336264?hash=item4619400348

Is this a good way to mark a coin with its grade, do you think? It would certainly stop people resubmitting to TPGs looking for an extra point or two...

But it's overgraded, unless GF means generally flat.

I got excited for about 1 millisecond then... I followed your link and thought it was the extremely rare 1862 penny with halfpenny date numerals. Then realised it WAS a halfpenny! :mellow:

BTW. How can PCGS use the term "First Strike". Statistically, that's gonna be wrong most of the time. Unless it's a fake coin in a fake slab...

I've seen this type of thing advertised before but I don't remember the details (though the example I read about involved specially labelling the first 500 or so struck). I think the mint involved gets on board with PCGS to do this.

Is it just me or does this listing suggest there's a wee bit of wishful thinking going on?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/charles-11-1673-halfpenny-/221356782655?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3389e4743f

Is it just me or does this listing suggest there's a wee bit of wishful thinking going on?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/charles-11-1673-halfpenny-/221356782655?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3389e4743f

You're in luck then, Richard.

"Genuine offers from serious collectors always welcomed"

Slightly high, but by the time you have accounted for ebay's take it is not too much over. Even with the fuzzy pictures it is clearly around the VF mark (which is the same as a US XF45). Spink book for VF is 350 or thereabouts, so not that optimistic. He does say genuine offers considered too. A better than VF C2 halfpenny is worth the money.

The relief on these is not great. See my 1675/3/2 in the unlisted variety section for how low it is. That was slabbed MS65. I would say good EF

The 1675/3 listed in the CC list for Sept. 2005 (1052) was also mine and previously slabbed PCGS MS 64, but again was only an EF.

I have to confess to playing havoc with the TPG populations of these things. Apologies to all our US friends. :)

Edited by Rob

If anyone is looking for an 1873 farthing in EF then look no further than this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-1873-Queen-Victoria-Hair-In-Bun-EF-Toothed-Beads-Bronze-Farthing-/271370483828?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3f2ef0f874

He neglects to mention it but it's a low set 3 so this may make up for it having been run through a washing machine.

I'm also quite smitten with this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-1897-Queen-Victoria-Veiled-EF-Toothed-Beads-Bronze-Penny-/271374217972?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item3f2f29f2f4

But I think it may have been weakly struck.

It's a shame his "excellent collation" doesn't include to collation of decent information. :rolleyes:

It's a shame his "excellent collation" doesn't include to collation of decent information. :rolleyes:

It's certainly the 'high tide' variety (P of PENNY to gap, F-148), but it would be a disappointing example if you couldn't actually see the sea.

I'm more concerned about his wasted 50 years. If after all that time he calls the penny EF, he might not quite be on the ball.

It's certainly the 'high tide' variety (P of PENNY to gap, F-148), but it would be a disappointing example if you couldn't actually see the sea.

The rare toothed beaded border variety!! Wow. I've heard about this mythical hybrid for a long long time, but I never thought I'd ever see one! In EF too (well, EF according to the Kazakhstan Borat system of grading..). My day is now complete. B)

I'm more concerned about his wasted 50 years. If after all that time he calls the penny EF, he might not quite be on the ball.

I didn't even notice the 'EF' slipped into the title or read the description! Oh dear...

His 50 years experience also didn't teach him that the coin's highlight isn't "the toothed beads" (whatever that contradiction might be) but the unmentioned high tide.

Edit: Peckris, you beat me to it! :)

Edited by Accumulator

High Tide not, the the P to a space is clear on a real one

1897Ca.jpg

You're absolutely right, David. I must get my glasses checked! :mellow:

Penny1897%20F148%201%20+%20C%20REV%20500

That's a beauty! Yours?

Matt.Trev is not the full shilling. :o

Just had a look at the complete listings offered by matt trev. :blink: He needs to get them slabbed by 'centisles', sharpish. That's the only grading service that would take them on at the suggested grades. ;) Has his finger got stuck in the EF position? This looks like a clear case of the books only giving values down to Fine, so that's your starting grade.

That's a beauty! Yours?

Yes, thank you! Had it for a while now.

Yes very nice !

Can't see much wear there, is it aUNC or UNC ? (just out of interest as I am trying to improve my grading).

cheers

Garrett.