British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

On 8/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, Michael-Roo said:

On each listing these statements can be found further down the page.

'Our supplier', singular, would seem at odds with the wording of those certificates of provenance.

WE TAKE EVERY CARE TO ENSURE THAT THE DESCRIPTION AND SPECIFICATIONS ON OUR ITEMS ARE CORRECT. HOWEVER SPECIFICATIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF ITEMS ON ARE LISTINGS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE BINDING AND ARE INTENDED ONLY TO GIVE A GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ITEM/S LISTED.

ALL OF OUR COINS & ARTEFACTS ARE DESCRIBED IN THE WAY THAT WE PURCHASE THEM FROM OUR SUPPLIER. 

IF WE HAVE NOT INCLUDED THE DATING OF AN ITEM IN THE TITLE OR DESCRIPTION IT IS BECAUSE WE CANT SAY FOR CERTAIN THE DATING OF THE ITEM. IT IS PREFERABLE NOT TO PROVIDE DATING ON MANY OCCASIONS AS TO NOT MISLEAD THE CUSTOMER.

This is almost worthy of an entry in the 'Nothing to do with coins' area.....:-)

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2021 at 10:52 PM, Michael-Roo said:

On each listing these statements can be found further down the page.

'Our supplier', singular, would seem at odds with the wording of those certificates of provenance.

WE TAKE EVERY CARE TO ENSURE THAT THE DESCRIPTION AND SPECIFICATIONS ON OUR ITEMS ARE CORRECT. HOWEVER SPECIFICATIONS AND DESCRIPTIONS OF ITEMS ON ARE LISTINGS ARE NOT INTENDED TO BE BINDING AND ARE INTENDED ONLY TO GIVE A GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE ITEM/S LISTED.

ALL OF OUR COINS & ARTEFACTS ARE DESCRIBED IN THE WAY THAT WE PURCHASE THEM FROM OUR SUPPLIER. 

IF WE HAVE NOT INCLUDED THE DATING OF AN ITEM IN THE TITLE OR DESCRIPTION IT IS BECAUSE WE CANT SAY FOR CERTAIN THE DATING OF THE ITEM. IT IS PREFERABLE NOT TO PROVIDE DATING ON MANY OCCASIONS AS TO NOT MISLEAD THE CUSTOMER.

Remember when you had labels for instructing record shop staff on the back of the LP?

This should have a label saying 'File under Comedy'.....:-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It wasn't me, but I'd have also believed it to be 1853.

Here's what a genuine 1853 threepence should look like (sold by London Coins a few years ago). The larger and fewer reverse beads are the most diagnostic, whilst the obverse has a very different portrait, plus there is a distinct gap between the D:G: and BRIT that is not present on the later obverse 3 ( I got the die pair wrong in my above post - it's actually a 3+B which is right for 1873 ).

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, JJs said:

I found that the "real" link is generally just the text upto the "?", so https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-3-Pence-1853-Rare-/353646172040

The rest is probably the details of your bank accounts, eye-colour, love-life etc etc 😉

I'll try and remember that in future. :)

Here's another laughable item...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284457713181?hash=item423b003e1d:g:QoUAAOSwZrthRxe-

Wrong on so many levels. (It's a farthing and as for "proof" and "about as struck"...)

And yet, with all the (wrong) extra blurb, details, rarity allegations etc below, it could mislead. Would anyone willing to spend £1500 on this washer just go ahead and do it without any knowledge or checking things out?? I'd hope not, but just up above someone spent £100+ on a threepence worth about 50p. A fool and his money and all that!

• Like 1

All details lifted from the Baldwin's site...

• Like 2

Did you catch the seller's name? coinshavesouls ... I think that should read "coin shaves souls" :lol:

• Haha 2

Ha!

Not five minutes ago I was thinking  'coin shaves owls' or some such...

Great minds etc...

• Like 1

My dyslexia has reached a new owl.....

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Did you catch the seller's name? coinshavesouls ... I think that should read "coin shaves souls" :lol:

Think the seller should be called "Our souls"... As in bunch of... 😄

• Haha 5

I think he should have called himself "Norfolk an Idea".

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

My dyslexia has reached a new owl.....

what a hoot ......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

High grade HC

Dont all rush at once, only 1 available!

Pfffft. THIS is the one you want...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255045123269?

I mean, how often is Half A Crow offered on eBay? :lol:

Edited by Peckris 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, will1976 said:

These half crows are more popular than you realise

That's good, so there's a chance you might be able to pick up the matching front and back half

34 minutes ago, JJs said:

That's good, so there's a chance you might be able to pick up the matching front and back half

384341821_croworcat.thumb.jpg.1f5bb455f98ddcf18ca4c81207790051.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Half a crow is better than no crow I suppose! Isn't there some numismatic analogy here with a Tommy Steele musical? Frank