British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

2 hours ago, ozjohn said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-1-2-Crown-1884/333443059800?hash=item4da2c15058:g:i3YAAOSwfV9d-o-1

This one doesn't seem right to me. Could be a contemporary  forgery What does everyone else think?

Doesn't look quite flat to me - a contemporary forgery is a possibility. Certainly not one I am bidding on.

Our old friend Lukasz again I see...

3 hours ago, ozjohn said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-1-2-Crown-1884/333443059800?hash=item4da2c15058:g:i3YAAOSwfV9d-o-1

This one doesn't seem right to me. Could be a contemporary  forgery What does everyone else think?

Looks like someone has been ‘improving’ it by re-engraving the hair with a sharp tool.  Lukas  also has 1863/1 and 1863 open 3 pennies in his latest batch,  both ordinary coins mid-described.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Looks like someone has been ‘improving’ it by re-engraving the hair with a sharp tool.  Lukas  also has 1863/1 and 1863 open 3 pennies in his latest batch,  both ordinary coins mid-described.

Jerry

Not to mention the Antoninus Pius medallic sestertius which appears to be a sub-Paduan imitation, probably 19th century at best. Or the "contemporary" forgery of an Augustus denarius which is clearly modern. There's also a Kettle medallion described as a "1/3 guinea struck in silver"...sigh.

buckscoins includes this in his blurb:-

We offer a 30 day money back guarantee on all our listings if you are not entirely happy and all coins are guaranteed genuine for 10 years.

The only possible logic behind this statement is that if, 10 years after purchase, you discover that the coin you bought from him is a fake, you're not entitled to your money back. 

Or is he just being inane by suggesting that a genuine coin could suddenly turn fake after 10 years?

I dunno, maybe I'm just too critical of stupidity these days.

• Haha 2

I go with the "genuine coins turn into fakes after 10 years" thesis. 😃

• Haha 2

That's just a requirement of BNTA of its members:

"Members shall guarantee in writing the authenticity of all objects offered for sale for a period of not less than 10 (ten) years from the date of sale. In case of a dispute, the issue may be considered by the Committee for arbitration."

On 1/1/2020 at 12:06 PM, Sword said:

"Members shall guarantee in writing the authenticity of all objects offered for sale for a period of not less than 10 (ten) years from the date of sale. In case of a dispute, the issue may be considered by the Committee for arbitration."

Maybe a better way of putting it would be:-

"If this coin proves not be genuine as advertised, we guarantee to refund the purchase price if returned within 10 years from the date of sale, with receipt, and convincing evidence to support the assertion" 

Bit wordier, but infinitely more logical.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Maybe a better way of putting it would be:-

"If this coin proves not be genuine as advertised, we guarantee to refund the purchase price if returned within 10 years from the date of sale, with receipt, and convincing evidence to support the assertion" 

Bit wordier, but infinitely more logical.

Yes, I agree. The BNTA statement wasn't very well written.

On 1/1/2020 at 1:06 PM, Sword said:

I was considered by the Committee for arbitration once, at a party in Brighton. Vey painful.

The only things I can laugh at are the name of the seller "cvdrfhykj" and the standard of his English!

"High-quality craftsmanship, just for watching and playing, to make your collection more abundant!
It will be your best collection![Let you love it]"

RRP £23.94...

Also...

• UK Silver Dollars are one of the most collected coins in the world!-Let you love it
  • We have 679's of coins in stock and ready to be shipped
  • Dear, this old Coin is made of Brass; the old Coin is plated with 925 sterling silver. This product is handmade crafts. It is not a tradable Replica silver coin, but it is worth your permanent collection.

Shilling or dollar ??

You for great love have this.

And with coin has a good time.

See?  Easy!!

6 hours ago, JLS said:

Shilling or dollar ??

I have no idea. I neither know nor care. :)

On 1/4/2020 at 8:08 AM, Paddy said:

"Dear, this old Coin is made of Brass"

Stop calling me 'Dear'! Or are you saying £1:49 is dear for a fake like this? Oh, you're probably right.

On 1/4/2020 at 11:13 AM, JLS said:

RRP £23.94...

Also...

Shilling or dollar ??

"Shilling" a Crown for dollars

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Haha 1

Yes. Garbage. The obverse badly done, the reverse a bit better. A quick cue: check the hair and braid "detail" - very crude!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Rarest-1p-I-have-Honest/303448343442

This is the rarest 1p I could find in my piggy bank "Honest".

This is my last 1p so I obviously it must be rare, grab yourself a bargain and win the 1p of a lifetime, dont care when it was minted or who's face is on it, the Rothschild own it. But I can sell it to 1 gullible person for a measly £1,000,000 Mwhahahahaha.

Due to ebay restricting me to only sell up to £3500 to win this country you must make me an offer of atleast £1000000 anything less will be rejected.

Or if you would prefer to take out credit with Gringotts Wizarding bank I am sure harry pothead would be quite happy to help you out, he is a nosey little do gooder who always foils my evil plane....or am I getting him confused with scooby doo...never mind...back to topic....with interest onto of installments I estimate you payments to be :

£3500 pain in 286 installments paid over the course of 1 day

Prefer to take cash on collection in nice crisp new £50's but delivery can be arranged via willie wonker's umpah lumpah boat service and should be with you before you could sip any of that wonderful fizzy lifting juice, which is what I will be using a portion of my riches to promote.

Dont be shy, nor in doubt....press the button, that says, BUY IT NOW

• Haha 2

Offer a penny - that's fair to both sides.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORUZZI-PIO-V-BIANCO-Bologna-117740-Pius-V-Pie-V-moneta-papale-in-argento/333453479726

Posting this not because of the coin (nice) or the price (reasonable although on the high side) but because of the ridiculous bar chart which is the final picture. 

Grade 55/70 - OK, we're in Sheldon (a weird choice for Renaissance Italy but there we go). 

Rarity 20/100 - not sure what the takeaway from this is. 

Metal and patina 90/100 - so choice toning ? 

Coinage - 90/100 - ??????????

18 hours ago, JLS said:

I think it is just some problem in translation. It probably relate to the strike of the coin.

I have used Google translate on the paragraph on "coinage" and got the following:

"Coining
In evaluating a coin, it is very important, especially for the oldest ones, in particular for those minted with a hammer, to examine the quality of the production process and the materials used for minting. Specimens that have a large fracture-free rod, where minting is centered both on the straight and on the reverse, will receive a high rating. Coins that show a minting with a strong beat such as to produce high reliefs, will also receive a high price. On the contrary, specimens made with an insufficient beat or that have coinage slips, will obtain a lower rating. The same importance is reserved for the production made with non-worn and non-rusty coins."

18 minutes ago, Sword said:

I think it is just some problem in translation. It probably relate to the strike of the coin.

I have used Google translate on the paragraph on "coinage" and got the following:

"Coining
In evaluating a coin, it is very important, especially for the oldest ones, in particular for those minted with a hammer, to examine the quality of the production process and the materials used for minting. Specimens that have a large fracture-free rod, where minting is centered both on the straight and on the reverse, will receive a high rating. Coins that show a minting with a strong beat such as to produce high reliefs, will also receive a high price. On the contrary, specimens made with an insufficient beat or that have coinage slips, will obtain a lower rating. The same importance is reserved for the production made with non-worn and non-rusty coins."

That's actually very good for a machine translation. Yeah, "coniazione" translates to "striking" or "coining" rather than "coinage" per se. 

What surprises me is that the seller uses the same nonsense English description on Italian eBay...