British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

On 14 June 2019 at 11:26 AM, jelida said:

Here it is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-1935-PROOF-SILVER-CROWN-COIN-PCGS-PR64CAMEO/264357180231?hash=item3d8cea7347:g:iWsAAOSwumJc~qNU 

It is a strange looking coin, ?handled, difficult to grade from the photo. PGCS state that it is .925 silver, were the proofs made in sterling? The standard issue are .500.

Yes. You can see the 'raised edge' quite clearly on the reverse image. The legend on the obverse looks good, as do many features of the portrait, but not the hair. I think it's very much a coin that needs to be seen in hand. 

Currently up to £640 which seems rather tasty for a 1935 silver proof.

2 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Yes. You can see the 'raised edge' quite clearly on the reverse image. The legend on the obverse looks good, as do many features of the portrait, but not the hair. I think it's very much a coin that needs to be seen in hand. 

Currently up to £640 which seems rather tasty for a 1935 silver proof.

Is this the proof which came in both 0.5 and 0.925 silver or the more common pattern proof.

Edited by Gary D

Gary that would be the 0.925. Lousy picture as it is slabbed as "cameo", which it appears not to be from picture.

2 hours ago, secret santa said:

Oh my God!!

I've got loads of these just like in the picture!!!

I'm rich, I tell you, rich!!!!!

Aston Garage for me tomorrow..

That's 'Garage'----rhymes with 'Farage'........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gary D said:

Is this the proof which came in both 0.5 and 0.925 silver or the more common pattern proof.

It seems to be the "raised edge" proof which was .925. I don't know what you mean by 'pattern proof'?

The raised edge proof is also known as the pattern proof. I remember reading somewhere that only the incuse edge versions were considered to be legal tender. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, azda said:

Strange one considering the jubilee head changed in 1893 plus the Mint didn’t open till 1899 😏

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323799352597

Looks like a Far Eastern jeweller’s copy to me with the broad obverse rim...how anyone could think this would be genuine...

Ah, Come off it, Eileen...

• Haha 1

Her 1874 sov looks suspect too.

My first post,  

That fake sovereign has made me laugh.  To think she wants £90,000

I see the 1935 crown went for £742.  Perfectly decent ones are regularly available at £500-£550.  All I can say is at least two people were looking at the slabbed grade not the photo. 

£742 seems cheap for a PF64 cameo, so they probably were put off by the photo, believe i seen a few end at about £950 or so

6 hours ago, pokal02 said:

I see the 1935 crown went for £742.  Perfectly decent ones are regularly available at £500-£550.  All I can say is at least two people were looking at the slabbed grade not the photo. 

Yeah at that slabbed grade for £500 you could trivially flip it by consigning to a US auction...hopefully it looks better than the photos !

24 minutes ago, azda said:

@azda at least he does show the plain edge, though omitting to mention it in the text. It’s a believable out.

1 hour ago, Diaconis said:

@azda at least he does show the plain edge, though omitting to mention it in the text. It’s a believable out.

True, but replicas must be stated as such even if they can be an obvious tell according to eBay 

3 hours ago, azda said:

True, but replicas must be stated as such even if they can be an obvious tell according to eBay 

Exactly, who’d not spot the laurel leaf pointing toward the ‘A?, it’s always the N on the halfcrown, did  these scoundrels not attend school?

“On Cromwell’s halfcrown doth the wreath and crown be be’neath the N” every schoolboy knows that. what a damn poor job.

Do ebay classify in levels of fakery?  i’d call it a fantasy piece, does ebay define what a replica is? I don’t have the inclination to check to be honest.

It reminiscent of sorting your garbage.