British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I was tempted to offer them 10 cents, but the postage is so high I was afraid they might accept it!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I was tempted to offer them 10 cents, but the postage is so high I was afraid they might accept it!

Indeed Paddy, it's not even worth the P&P being charged.

But then, maybe we're not taking into account the lifetime guarantee of authenticity. You can't put a price on peace of mind. :D:D:D

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Somewhat unhelpfully, the seller notes that PCGS have only slabbed 4 at MS65RD (which obviously can't include this coin). Can't wait to get me one of those super duper British rarities - the 1953 QE2 1st issue farthing with the woodcock reverse. Actually, I have one, but it looks like Liz overindulged on a trip to the Guinness brewery. ;)

A lot of things surprise me with TPG coins. People really do buy the unseen magical element that makes their coin x5 more valuable than the market value.  I saw a CGS 82 1959 two shillings sell for £120 this week.  The mind boggles at times :rolleyes:

Had to laugh at the tip from the seller. "the mintmark is located within the trident held by Britannia" Obviously reading between the lines he doesn't know where it is exactly because the trident head on his fake piece of trash is missing :lol:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Britain-silver-Dollar-1911/332637817930

Even more worrying

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Britain-6-Pence-1697-Ruler-William-III-XF/332620320923

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

I tell you what I have noticed and this might just be purely paranoia driven . Some of these coins although not mentioned look proof quality but they look too good and almost as if they are plaster cast and then painted as the colours are what you would dream of having. But when 1 seller has every single coin no matter what grade looking the best colour it can it leaves me with serious doubts. I have seen 3 pictures of a coin 2 of which could of been taken from anywhere on the net and the real coin picture albeit from a distance and magnifying it I doubt it is the same coin. I am just finding it hard to trust what my eyes are telling me and the sellers are not. Very few mention problems with the coins . I don't mean glaring great lumps that doesn't need to be mentioned as it is clearly obvious. But there are a whole host of coins that have either come from the ground or are badly discoloured due to contaminants or abandoned clean ups. Yes there is buyer protection but do we really need the 14 day wait to claim and another 14 days before it is settled tying up funds for an eternity.? Personally there should be a photo minimum size on the lines of what heritage use. Coins cannot hide on there and wysiwyg. Really is no need for all this uncertainty don't you think? :)

Love the Auctiva's slogan at the bottom "Pictures Sell" well on this occasion they bloody well don't lols Choice UNC unc = Ugly Nasty Crap :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GB-UK-England-George-V-silver-shilling-1911-choice-unc/323237277670

Only ships within the US. Phew.

A somewhat rhetorical question, but why do so many descriptions contain both the phrases 'We are not experts, so don't ask any technical questions' and 'Choice Uncirculated' ? A description of British coin - denomination and date would be far more accurate.

• Like 1

Another thing I am getting sick to death of NGC and PCGS wrongly attributing the colour of coins. Do these halfwits not know that Bronze coins are darker than copper? and seeing as the be all and end all of their grading criteria is RD designation and is solely based on Copper coinage it devalues British coinage by constantly putting RB when they are just as red as the copper coins albeit 1 shade darker because of metal composition

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1861-Choice-UNC-BU-Queen-Victoria-Penny-Freeman-29-PCGS-MS65/292522205627

Beautiful coin its bloody red not RB I think they need to revisit their terminology?

I know marketing is a tough game, but the following phrase 'Spink 2017 values at £375 in UNC condition no value given for Choice UNC-BU' is drivel. Spink don't list a value for choice unc-BU because there is no column with said description against which to post a value, and in any case, one man's choice BU is another man's ok or even a dog.

The world expends and wastes vast amounts of energy trying to polish turds. Cut it out and you could reduce global warming.

• Like 2

Makes you wonder with all the fakes he sells how is still 100% rated. Just cannot believe ebay are allowed to just sweep criminal activity under the carpet as if it never existed

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Which are worse - English or Irish fartings I wonder? :D

Probably depends on the quantity of Guinness consumed. B)

On 12/05/2018 at 10:54 AM, Rob said:

I know marketing is a tough game, but the following phrase 'Spink 2017 values at £375 in UNC condition no value given for Choice UNC-BU' is drivel. Spink don't list a value for choice unc-BU because there is no column with said description against which to post a value, and in any case, one man's choice BU is another man's ok or even a dog.

The world expends and wastes vast amounts of energy trying to polish turds. Cut it out and you could reduce global warming.

Don't forget they also roll the turds in glitter......:)

Reported.

Me too!

Listing removed as no longer available...

Good work.

I sent the seller a message yesterday appealing to his honesty! Difficult to know whether he pulled it or whether eBay did it for him. Cannot believe eBay would be that quick though.

Edited by hibernianscribe

25 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

What do you think of this sixpence guys? Doesn't sit right with me. Legend is all over the place mixed fonts. hair looks wrong 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-Britain-1878-Six-Pence-XF-Nice-751-1-IR8623/162946101170

I agree. Looks all wrong for the state of wear that it has. Possibly a cast fake?

38 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

What do you think of this sixpence guys? Doesn't sit right with me. Legend is all over the place mixed fonts. hair looks wrong 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Great-Britain-1878-Six-Pence-XF-Nice-751-1-IR8623/162946101170

The item description is gobbledegook which could be an indicator of deception.