British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

20 minutes ago, rpeddie said:

I saw that. The commonwealth sixpence  he flogged looked iffy , not right. 

He's definitely got at least one shill bidder working with him whose posting positive feedback. Either that or one very thick collector whose shelled out a grand on phoney coins. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I saw that. The commonwealth sixpence  he flogged looked iffy , not right. 

He's definitely got at least one shill bidder working with him whose posting positive feedback. Either that or one very thick collector whose shelled out a grand on phoney coins. 

I notice he gives 'cash on collection' option. Let's hope someone opts for this and gives him a bloody nose when they realise he's a scammer! :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rpeddie said:

This seller's feedback alone says "beware"!

I take it that it is for all the 224,918 coins minted.:)

22 minutes ago, jelida said:

Its nearly as rare as the 1967 penny :D

1 hour ago, jelida said:

What a sob-story! Looks as though this guy used to send scamming emails from Nigeria!

Edited by hibernianscribe

Funnily enough the coin RETAILS !!! at £18.95:o

52 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I know from past experience you can list the same thing twice if you inadvertently close a listing in the process of doing so. A copy then goes to drafts. After the interruption you list the item only to find out later that you also have an unfinished listing, which you duly finish.

16 minutes ago, Rob said:

I know from past experience you can list the same thing twice if you inadvertently close a listing in the process of doing so. A copy then goes to drafts. After the interruption you list the item only to find out later that you also have an unfinished listing, which you duly finish.

I spotted a seller once who had the same 1905 half crown listed three times. Once individually, and twice as parts of sets. If I'd had more cash he would have been explaining why he couldn't fulfil the three orders I'd placed... ;)

6 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I spotted a seller once who had the same 1905 half crown listed three times. Once individually, and twice as parts of sets. If I'd had more cash he would have been explaining why he couldn't fulfil the three orders I'd placed... ;)

The point I'm making is that due to the vagaries of eBay, it is easy to inadvertently list something twice. No malicious intent, just human error.

1 minute ago, Rob said:

The point I'm making is that due to the vagaries of eBay, it is easy to inadvertently list something twice. No malicious intent, just human error.

I understand. My example was someone taking the piss. ;)

9 hours ago, Rob said:

...and this is another one that concerns me - by the picture the same coin listed twice? Does not mention stock photographs, so you could end up with anything!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEORGE-IV-COPPER-PENNY-COIN-DATED-1827-SCRUFFY-BUT-SCARCE/372260330937?hash=item56ac71ddb9:g:uhAAAOSwe1xauirl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEORGE-IV-COPPER-PENNY-COIN-DATED-1827-SCRUFFY-BUT-SCARCE/372260334601?hash=item56ac71ec09:g:uhAAAOSwe1xauirl

I know it is easy to do, but I see a lot more of these than just the occasional accident would explain. I have seen one seller who always seems to list his stuff twice - usually at very different start prices. I suspect he cancels one auction towards the end when he works out which one is going better.

• Like 1

That's possible. But then it is eBay. Whilst you may not know what item you will get, you are on firmer ground when assessing the seller. Horses for courses. That's what eBay is and why people won't pay too much for items and why sellers try to counteract that.

I think eBay may one day contract to be a one-stop shop for useful everyday items from business sellers only, or maybe split into 2 with a sensible and silly section. It's biggest problem has to be public selling items with a grossly inflated expectation of value.

Edited by Rob

18 hours ago, Paddy said:

By the look of the sales pitch and him/her mentioning an 1807 half penny I reckon one was meant to be the 1807 probably from an old draft. they forgot they listed the 1827 and relisted it thinking one was 1807. Probably after a friday night out on the lash

:)

7 hours ago, Paddy said:

...and this is another one that concerns me - by the picture the same coin listed twice? Does not mention stock photographs, so you could end up with anything!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEORGE-IV-COPPER-PENNY-COIN-DATED-1827-SCRUFFY-BUT-SCARCE/372260330937?hash=item56ac71ddb9:g:uhAAAOSwe1xauirl

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEORGE-IV-COPPER-PENNY-COIN-DATED-1827-SCRUFFY-BUT-SCARCE/372260334601?hash=item56ac71ec09:g:uhAAAOSwe1xauirl

I know it is easy to do, but I see a lot more of these than just the occasional accident would explain. I have seen one seller who always seems to list his stuff twice - usually at very different start prices. I suspect he cancels one auction towards the end when he works out which one is going better.

yes I have seen this as well before the addition of multiple listings they would list 20 coins  all with the same picture pitching them as all from a bank roll and to picture every coin was too time consuming the first 5 would be £5 the 6th coin would be £50 and so would the 15th coin they would also put postage £2 and same format but at different points  in the list of 20 they would make the postage £20. Just hoping people wouldn't notice. As if lol. 

Are people crazy? This is not Ebay but a local auction house. They have been careful to describe it with let out clauses and it is clearly 100% fake, but still people have bid it up to £200 already. (That is a bid - I guess the reserve is 200 as that is the low estimate and 2 days ago the bid showing was £150.)

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/75f0afbd2a2aa18c21f0093057d4e5f6/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/march-auction-of-militaria-collectibles-watches-lot-19/

42 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Are people crazy? This is not Ebay but a local auction house. They have been careful to describe it with let out clauses and it is clearly 100% fake, but still people have bid it up to £200 already. (That is a bid - I guess the reserve is 200 as that is the low estimate and 2 days ago the bid showing was £150.)

https://www.easyliveauction.com/catalogue/lot/75f0afbd2a2aa18c21f0093057d4e5f6/0af8d24542e81eb9357e7ef448a6646f/march-auction-of-militaria-collectibles-watches-lot-19/

If they cannot confirm authenticity then they have no business selling it. They have been contacted by scores of very knowledgeable dealers collectors and been told categorically it is a fake coin. Yet they continue with the sale purely for commision and a financial extortion. It's fraud simple as. trying to pass the excuse we are just the hosts isn't a valid reason. If you are there when a murder is committed and do nothing about it your complicit and as guilty as the killer. This is my whole argument with auctions they are all crooks and I stand by it.:angry:

So, auctioneers are all crooks. We know eBay is full of crooks. Where else would you buy your coins? China? At least there is no pretense, as you can buy multiple identical examples of whatever coin you choose very cheaply. There are decent auctioneers who will pull an item if there is doubt cast on it's authenticity - most in fact.