British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Nice one Rob!! Cheers,

32 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Doesn't look right to me.

I don't know enough to judge on the coin. He has sold 4 other siege coins, all different, over the last few weeks and has received positive feedback on them.

Not that that guarantees anything! :D

I think they are all fake, but have little sympathy for the purchasers who shouldn’t be buying if they don’t know the subject well enough to be aware that most on EBay are replicas. They obviously have so much money that they can throw it away for lack of basic research. I would never buy a siege coin, Gothic Crown, Wreath Crown and several others unless from a known reputable dealer like Rob P.

Jerry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Now withdrawn :) 

13 hours ago, blakeyboy said:

Someone trying to prevent the sale! Actually, both his coins are unique - there's no other quite like them. :lol:

• Like 2

On 17/03/2018 at 10:38 AM, DrP said:

This is what bugs me... :-<   I know it is very fairly priced... and I am tempted to buy it to fill a space in my date run...   but why spoil the sale by claiming this coin is VF...  it is so clearly poor or good ...   VG at a push for some. I don't mind buying it for £2, £3 or £4 even and it will fill a hole in the folder...  but to actually claim it is of VF condition   -  I cannot believe the seller here doesn't know that this coin is far from Fine let alone VF. The page advertises it as VF 4 or 5 times in the spiel.  Makes me very cynical. As I said - I might buy it anyway to fill a gap. I need 1852 also. The guy is either an idiot for thinking the grade VF or a con man for false advertising. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Victoria-Farthing-1851-VF-good-example-of-this-coin/142722984348?hash=item213af3e99c:g:ajMAAOSw8K5aqrm8

Not always is the seller an idiot. He could simply be selling off grand dads coins and grandad wrote VF in the book or on the envelope. Not everyone has your knowledge, take it for what it is and the images ignore the grade the seller gives. It is low cost and would make a good filler for you.

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

I am gobsmacked these look too good to be fakes. but 8.47 each jesus too scarey 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIA-DEI-GRATIA-BRITANNIAR-1-Shilling-Within-Wreath-1850-Crown-Above/162934723459

Is the wobbly "0" in the date a recognised variety or is that an identifier for us?

6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Is the wobbly "0" in the date a recognised variety or is that an identifier for us?

They all have an extra bit of metal joining a leaf to the right hand edge on the reverse. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

They all have an extra bit of metal joining a leaf to the right hand edge on the reverse. ;)

yes I noticed the differences but to a novice they wouldn't have a clue. It just scares me how good these repro's are getting. I can almost see it now of the 6 that sold who wants a wager that 1 finds itself listed on the bay as an original 1850 shilling?

Edited by zookeeperz

Just now, zookeeperz said:

yes I noticed the differences but to a novice they wouldn't have a clue. It just scares me how good these repro's are getting

Agreed. If I hadn't seen them all together I probably wouldn't have picked up on it.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what this is? It's intrigued me and if it was a sensible price I'd probably buy it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-sovereign-showing-St-George-slaying-the-dragon-mule-is-a-coin-medal/173185461481?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

By the way he implies "token" I guess it is fairly small, so that or a commemorative medalet from the Great Exhibition sounds likely. I don't know for fact.

I think he needs to divide his price by at least 100 to get near to something sensible, unless he can come up with some really interesting historical facts.

• Like 1

Its 32mm so half crown size, I know it will be rejected but I'm going to put a cheeky offer of £50 in and see what happens as I rather like it. that's my limit though!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Its 32mm so half crown size, I know it will be rejected but I'm going to put a cheeky offer of £50 in and see what happens as I rather like it. that's my limit though!

Stand by for a small nuclear explosion wherever the seller lives! :D

• Like 1

Well its not been rejected automatically! Fingers crossed

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Stand by for a small nuclear explosion wherever the seller lives! :D

Well no nuclear explosion......he's only accepted! I wait with baited breath. Now where's that best offer 1879 sovereign? :ph34r:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Well no nuclear explosion......he's only accepted! I wait with baited breath. Now where's that best offer 1879 sovereign? :ph34r:

He will probably just make another Will :lol:

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

He will probably just make another Will :lol:

Lol too late now!

1 minute ago, will1976 said:

Lol too late now!

Worth having a look at and i was only joking but quite a big difference in what he had it listed for ;)

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Worth having a look at and i was only joking but quite a big difference in what he had it listed for ;)

Everything else he has listed is modern and I'm guessing he didn't know 1) what it is and 2) what its worth (not that I do either). I never expected to win it though and I can see many hours being spent on trying to find out what it is! Another item to add to my collection of 'unusual'

• Like 1

Probably a waste of time but please report this. Look at his feedback, he's making a small fortune from these "Siege pieces" or is he ? .I think we've reported this scumbag before on numerous occasions. He must be the luckiest guy on earth with all these "siege pieces" he's finding.

Could be shill bidders also. It's the same buyers winning his stuff and the feedbacks really phoney and arse kissy possibly a fake feedback scam to sucker people into believing these fraud pieces are legit. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Newark-hammered-siege-coin/162959699520

Edited by Ukstu