British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I wonder why his Grandad collected fake slabs?

• Like 1

I think his name was Faegan.

• Like 1

Reported

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrP said:

This is what bugs me... :-<   I know it is very fairly priced... and I am tempted to buy it to fill a space in my date run...   but why spoil the sale by claiming this coin is VF...  it is so clearly poor or good ...   VG at a push for some. I don't mind buying it for £2, £3 or £4 even and it will fill a hole in the folder...  but to actually claim it is of VF condition   -  I cannot believe the seller here doesn't know that this coin is far from Fine let alone VF. The page advertises it as VF 4 or 5 times in the spiel.  Makes me very cynical. As I said - I might buy it anyway to fill a gap. I need 1852 also. The guy is either an idiot for thinking the grade VF or a con man for false advertising. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Q-Victoria-Farthing-1851-VF-good-example-of-this-coin/142722984348?hash=item213af3e99c:g:ajMAAOSw8K5aqrm8

Or he has learned everything he knows from eBay. That's an eBay aUNC or even higher. It's blindingly obvious that most people haven't a clue when it comes to grading, so simply using someone else's grade for something in that condition is called market research. 

Why did this suddenly ring my internal scammer alarm. Typical low sales account with typical blurred picture of what looks a very nice Cartwheel Penny. "LOOKS". I'd bet my goldfish's life that if you saw it close up it would be a fake. It looks suss to me anyway. what you think guys?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1797-George-cartwheel-penny-rare-collectable-coin/142721743687

There's a lot of them about. From everyone's favourite far eastern takeaway.

42 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

I took a different tack on this one and messaged the seller direct. I have had a response saying he is taking it down and will have it checked out, and I see it has now been ended.

With some sellers this is probably a better action that Ebay reporting as Ebay just ignore us. If the seller is a complete fraud they will ignore us or get shirty, but what the heck!

I also notice a Advertising Standards Advert appearing on Ebay recently - maybe we could try notifying them? Anyone tried this yet?

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I took a different tack on this one and messaged the seller direct. I have had a response saying he is taking it down and will have it checked out, and I see it has now been ended.

With some sellers this is probably a better action that Ebay reporting as Ebay just ignore us. If the seller is a complete fraud they will ignore us or get shirty, but what the heck!

I also notice a Advertising Standards Advert appearing on Ebay recently - maybe we could try notifying them? Anyone tried this yet?

Thank you. I've tried the contact approach and got threatened and abused so it's not something i am keen on. We must be doing something right as we got rid of the commonwealth wrl shilling i posted. 

Haven't tried the ASA yet! I hadn't noticed it to be honest. 

Here's a seller ( who just by the way also sold a fake cartwheel penny for £63 ) punting 3ds out at anything between  £3 & £5. But he is not listing them under the usual categories  of coins but instead under categories weird, unusual etc and mentioning the war in his description. I may just dig my 3ds out and have a rake through them as his coins are no better than scrap imo.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-SILVER-3d-1916-Coin-King-George-V-Smallest-Coin-Minted-at-the-Royal-Mint/362263247659?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Hardly eBays worst offerings and dont see what he is doing wrong , the cartwheel maybe he thought was genuine as sold hundreds of other bits of stuff but only one of them.

I am the first one to agree with giving fraudulent sellers a right hook but not everyone as that IMO does not seem fair :)

No he knew the cartwheel wasn't genuine PWA as I had previously messaged him during the week and he never got back to me. The point I was trying to make was I admire his ingenuity in managing to sell these 3ds for that price at auction.....not under the coins category but under the category weird, strange and bizarre. 

3 hours ago, jelida said:

Done. (The 'replica' shamrock is clear as day).

4 hours ago, jelida said:

Reported too!

At last, I can retire. I have wheelbarrow loads of this excrement a few but select pieces for the discerning collector.

• Like 1