British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

On 01/03/2018 at 6:58 PM, Paddy said:

Yes - I am happy to join in reporting them, but I need to be confident they are fake for my own peace of mind. What are the tell-tales on these ones? Is it just because he has obscured the NGC references?

It is not just the ref numbers, look at the up close, they are fake.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1893-S-PCGS-XF40-one-silver-dollar/112853078913?hash=item1a46915381:g:XdUAAOSwa-VansZj

New Fake coin listed today. The cert number is for a Chinese coin, the coin actually looks like a polished coin and would never get graded like this. Sadly because it is a key date someone will bid on it and get ripped off. 

22 minutes ago, markflorida said:

It looks ugly and a brand new seller makes one very dubious, but the PCGS cert matches a similarly described coin (though no picture). What makes you certain it is fake? I am happy, as always, to report but I need to be sure in my own mind it is a fake before I stir up trouble for the seller.

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It looks ugly and a brand new seller makes one very dubious, but the PCGS cert matches a similarly described coin (though no picture). What makes you certain it is fake? I am happy, as always, to report but I need to be sure in my own mind it is a fake before I stir up trouble for the seller.

Hi Paddy. Yes sir, the cert number matches.

1st Red flag it is a Key date1889.jpg

Genuine

2nd, A newbie seller with a key date

3rd, The coin is too clean. It has most certainly been cleaned and would only be graded as Genuine or VF details cleaned.

4th, The date numbers are too small and wide. 

5th, It would be AU50 at worst, so its down graded so the unsuspecting buyer thinks he is getting a good deal.

6th, The obverse label is too small for the holder and is not stuck down.

The image here is a Genuine VF25 Morgan and graded as such, the eBay listing is a better grade and clearly cleaned. 

This is more than enough red flags.  I hope this helps Paddy

fake.jpg

Fake piece of animal waste on eBay for sale

Edited by markflorida

1 minute ago, markflorida said:

Hi Paddy. Yes sir, the cert number matches.

1st Red flag it is a Key date1889.jpg

2nd, A newbie seller with a key date

3rd, The coin is too clean. It has most certainly been cleaned and would only be graded as Genuine or VF details cleaned.

4th, The date numbers are too small and wide. 

5th, It would be AU50 at worst, so its down graded so the unsuspecting buyer thinks he is getting a good deal.

6th, The obverse label is too small for the holder and is not stuck down.

The image here is a Genuine VF25 Morgan and graded as such, the eBay listing is a better grade and clearly cleaned. 

This is more than enough red flags.  I hope this helps Paddy

fake.jpg

Great - thanks for the clarification, I will now report.

• Like 1

You are welcome. I wish people would do research before they buy, why would you buy a coin on eBay with low feedback or in the case zero feedback. Their is enough big sellers on eBay with feedback in the tens of thousands selling coins who are respectable.

56 minutes ago, markflorida said:

You are welcome. I wish people would do research before they buy, why would you buy a coin on eBay with low feedback or in the case zero feedback. Their is enough big sellers on eBay with feedback in the tens of thousands selling coins who are respectable.

Mainly i feel because ebay is such a huge coin market  people are looking for something for nothing and think everything is cheap.The coins you mentioned the average person (inc.me :D) would not have a clue about and will just buy it for £+++ think they have got a bargain ,put it away and look for another coin thats cheap.

Sad and pisses me off , if you look at anything on ebay not just coins its full of sellers trying to have people over :(

Well spotted though and thanks for posting them.

Although not my thing you have some lovely coins for sale on eBay......Your obviously one of the decent sellers so HAT OFF to you :)

Pete.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

That is so funny he doesn't even know what his label stands for. PCCB professional coin supplies and professional coin display  None really convincing wonder if the B stands for BS :)

44 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Good spot. Thank you for posting

Ditto

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Peckris said:

Reported :angry:

Me too!

• Like 1

I noticed this one this morning:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253476938178?ul_noapp=true

I believe a 'not encapsulated' category means for various reasons it is not eligible for grading.

The reference number however, does tally with a clipped Richard III groat, but no mention of not being encapsulated.

Frank

17 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

15956* 99% rating. Are we not safe anywhere now or is this a case of seller ignorance?

14 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

15956* 99% rating. Are we not safe anywhere now or is this a case of seller ignorance?

It's probably not ignorance, since I told them. :rolleyes:

I know Victoria had lots of kids, But .........

• Like 2

Looks to me like a double strike rotated, if that is possible? The band in the wavy area just below the R of Brittannia looks like the rearward headband on Victoria's head?

• Like 1

Cheers guys. Never seen this before.