British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

22 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Beats me how this crook keeps his 100% record. 

Me too. The amount of fakes that womans sold as well. I wouldn't be surprised if she's had neg feedback removed by eBay which lulls buyers into a false sense of security that she's trustworthy and boosts her confidence that she's untouchable so the cycle of dishonesty just keeps on going. We've all reported her numerous times and not once have we had one pulled. It's a joke. 

5 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Beats me how this crook keeps his 100% record. 

This is where Ebay is at fault and is blatantly breaking commerce & trading standards practices. This guy and his rust bucket crap of misleading and fraudulent BS detecting finds has been reported by a whole host of members from this forum and yet he is still allowed to extort decent folks money. The closest that piece of garbage has come to dirt was if he dropped it from his pocket. Disgraceful and sadly a growing force on and off line in auctions. I remember posting before when I entered (rare error) in ebay search and it returned 48,000 auctions you can bet your life 99% of those are bogus.

• Like 2

Surely an "Official" complaint to Ebay from some numismatic body or other would 

force them to address this problem? The threat of bad publicity might have an effect......

"Publicity" is the key.

Ebay, along with most of the Internet giants (Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Google etc) see themselves as above the law and routinely ignore national governments, let alone some small academic group. Bear in mind, through Google, they also have a stranglehold on online media.

What might get their attention would be publicity outside their control - a BBC expose on something like Watchdog might get their attention as this would knock the confidence of buyers and so their revenue stream.

1 hour ago, blakeyboy said:

Surely an "Official" complaint to Ebay from some numismatic body or other would 

force them to address this problem? The threat of bad publicity might have an effect......

I absolutely agree - perhaps an investigation by Dominic  'whatshisname' on 'Fake Britain' would do the trick - if it didn't stop eBay's bad practices at least it could expose the likes of Field_walker. However, saying that, scumbags like that would just change their username and carry on.

Edited by hibernianscribe

Any thoughts on whether this is an 1861 6 over 8, or not?

link

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Any thoughts on whether this is an 1861 6 over 8, or not?

link

Not, though it may be a doubled '8'.

Jerry

9 hours ago, jelida said:

Not, though it may be a doubled '8'.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Those were my thoughts as well, but just wanted confirmation. 

It's probably staring me in the face, but can anyone else see an overdate and if so does this make the coin more valuable? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-Shilling-Unrecorded-1872-6-Overdate-Very-Clear-Extremely-RARE-AUnc/232667569276?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

I'm going to say no, I can't see an overdate, the die looked like it was a bit roiugh around the edges.

Allcoinvalues has an 1872 which looks equally poorly formed.

another die 98 shilling doesn't seem so bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-Victoria-1872-AR-Shilling-PCGS-MS66-KM-734-2-S3906A-Die-98/182782553503?hash=item2a8eb06d9f:g:V4AAAOSwYkBZxTeD

• Like 1

Just now, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'm going to say no, I can't see an overdate, the die looked like it was a bit roiugh around the edges.

Allcoinvalues has an 1872 which looks equally poorly formed.

another die 98 shilling doesn't seem so bad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-Victoria-1872-AR-Shilling-PCGS-MS66-KM-734-2-S3906A-Die-98/182782553503?hash=item2a8eb06d9f:g:V4AAAOSwYkBZxTeD

Edit - it's bloody costly though :)

Very clear? I am pretty good with overdates and there might be a shout for a partial 1 inder the 2 but no way a 6 . Not from what is shown in pics

• Like 1

On 25 February 2018 at 5:43 PM, Paddy said:

Ebay, along with most of the Internet giants (Amazon, Microsoft, Apple, Google etc) see themselves as above the law and routinely ignore national governments, let alone some small academic group. Bear in mind, through Google, they also have a stranglehold on online media.

Have to correct you there. I agree with you about eBay, Amazon, and Google, but not Microsoft and Apple whose interests lie far beyond "just the internet".

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Have to correct you there. I agree with you about eBay, Amazon, and Google, but not Microsoft and Apple whose interests lie far beyond "just the internet".

I agree absolutely that they have interests far beyond the internet, but they still see themselves as above the law! You only have to see their attitude to paying tax - if they stumped tax commensurate with the business they do in the UK we would go a long way towards bringing austerity to an end.

Anybody got any idea what these are? They are certainly not Edward III Silver groats. The letterings all wrong and the obverse is too. They look plastic! Definitely replicas i think that have been exposed to heat to remove the telltale marks of a replica.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ancient-coins-3-x-Edward-III-Silver-Hammered-Long-Cross-Groats-1351-1369/273088909191

Edited by Ukstu

I think they may have spent too long in silver dip which gives a sort of powdery coating to the coin.

22 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

I think they may have spent too long in silver dip which gives a sort of powdery coating to the coin.

My moneys on pewter. Definitely fantasy knockups. 

Edited by Ukstu

15 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

My moneys on pewter. Definitely fantasy knockups. 

Or Lead? They look a lot like the lead seals that have been in the ground for a long time...

I was thinking lead too, it has the white crunchy look to it, like fairly recent lead which has been in a wet environment for a while.

For sheer ineptitude this one surely takes the biscuit:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-KING-GEORGEVI-BRASS-FARTHINGS-DATED-1937-1941-2-3-4-5/372226389083?hash=item56aa6bf45b:g:cnkAAOSwSPBaev3W

Not only has he mis-identified threepences as farthings, but he his listed it in the halfpennies category!

Edited by Paddy
Another thought!
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Anybody got any idea what these are? They are certainly not Edward III Silver groats. The letterings all wrong and the obverse is too. They look plastic! Definitely replicas i think that have been exposed to heat to remove the telltale marks of a replica.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ancient-coins-3-x-Edward-III-Silver-Hammered-Long-Cross-Groats-1351-1369/273088909191

They at ‘Boy Bishop’ tokens, mediaeval lead alloy. Not uncommon, lots of varieties and are collectable. Lots of info online.

Jerry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jelida said:

They at ‘Boy Bishop’ tokens, mediaeval lead alloy. Not uncommon, lots of varieties and are collectable. Lots of info online.

Jerry

So they are!  Well spotted !

Thanks. 

Edited by Ukstu

16 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Reported! 👍

• Like 1