British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Just a bit.....????

No, honestly they get puffed up like that during the monsoon. It's just that some of them don't flatten out afterwards. Ever so rare.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

No, honestly they get puffed up like that during the monsoon. It's just that some of them don't flatten out afterwards. Ever so rare.

Must of been struck from the famous Poppadom Dies :) 

Thought i may aswell post on this thread.

They are now faking the £1 Trial that seemed popular a while ago,no doubt there will be plenty listed now :(

12 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thought i may aswell post on this thread.

They are now faking the £1 Trial that seemed popular a while ago,no doubt there will be plenty listed now :(

I have seen one but couldn't get a picture, it was a reasonable copy but in the hand it just felt wrong the guy selling it thought it was genuine. It would fool a few people with just pictures though :(

The pictures and indicators are on......the fake pound coin database :)

Sorry i cant put the link up but if more start to turn up is worth a look.

34 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

The pictures and indicators are on......the fake pound coin database :)

Sorry i cant put the link up but if more start to turn up is worth a look.

Here's the fake trial piece:

X-TRIAL.gif

and the link to The Fake Pound Coin Database.

6 minutes ago, Nick said:

Here's the fake trial piece:

X-TRIAL.gif

and the link to The Fake Pound Coin Database.

The thing is it will fool people as it is an unknown really only those  few manufacturers  by request  were given these to test machine mechanisms like vending machines and arcade machines anything that took a pound coin. I would need to see the real one to digest the info. Side by side there shouldn't be an issue but  fakebay will be chucking these around like confetti sadly :(

58 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

I would need to see the real one to digest the info

The real thing, you can clearly see the micro lettering on the obverse. There's none on the reverse of the trial piece. photos are a little ropey as I don't have my usual camera

IMGP3747 (2).JPG

IMGP3745 (2).JPG

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Hard to know what is going on in the bidders heads.....it does say COPY on it ,which should give them a bit of a clue :o

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hard to know what is going on in the bidders heads.....it does say COPY on it ,which should give them a bit of a clue :o

£73!!!

Field walker's 'Pontefract' ( made of liquorice) is also moving.

I can see the rare 50p's and pound coins being discussed in many pubs,

so people blindly bid on crap, but this??

" 'Ere Dave- you sold your motor?"

"Yeah, I decided to move into Royalist Siege Money, wot the blokes in the gym was going' on abaat"

Can't see it, myself.....

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-Anglo-Viking-Norway-Olav-III-Haraldsson-king-penny-AR-penny/273006448831

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-Anglo-Viking-british-coin-penny-silver-AEDMUND/273015925247

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANGLO-SAXON-Anglo-Viking-ERIC-te-RED-Bloodaxe-Hiberno-Norse-Northumbria-penny/273010085241

8 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Heres a sixpence i was outbid on. It seems to have R's instead of E,s in the word PENSE. Is this unusual? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-George-III-Silver-Sixpence-Superb-Condition-1816/332505147058?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

I would say that is a poor quality photograph (out of focus - deliberate?) and it's therefore difficult to determine if those are R or E. On that basis, I would say 95% certain they are E. The winning bid was somewhat OTT.

• Like 1

It could be, but is more likely a shadow as the tail of the R matches the horizontal line at that point.

• Like 1

Looking at my own 1820 example it looks like the E's of PENCE have a few issues, so it might have been a common problem with this type. A better in focus photo would of course have helped.Sixpence 1820 R CU.jpg

4 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Looking at my own 1820 example it looks like the E's of PENCE have a few issues, so it might have been a common problem with this type. A better in focus photo would of course have helped.Sixpence 1820 R CU.jpg

One of mine has similar issues with the E's.1819-sixpence.jpg

• Like 1

I was banking on it being an R when I fired in a last second bid only to be still outbid. Its not worth £43 if its an E in my opinion.   Maybe got off lightly. ???

• Like 2

Looking at all the G3s I have pictures of here, there appears to be an issue with the Es from 1817 onwards and that continues through to the 1825 laureate head G4s. Don't have any 1826s on file, but coin archives has an 1826 with fully formed Es, so assume it's intermittent.

• Like 1

I messaged the seller earlier. He may get back to us with a better picture.

My 1816 looks just fine (apart from something going on with the I of Honi, but probably just impact damage from previously poor storage)

WIN_20180108_15_25_23_Pro.jpg