British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

11 hours ago, jelida said:

What do you think of these??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cnut-Short-Cross-Silver-Penny-Waldlos-Of-Lincoln-1029-35/222779920673?hash=item33deb7d121:g:i-EAAOSwzXxaS~OX

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KING-CNUT-SHORT-CROSS-SILVER-PENNY-1029-1035-AD/332506461339?hash=item4d6aedf49b:g:454AAOSwyYFaS7ly

Ignore the mis-identification of the first, which we have discussed before, the pics to me appear to show reverse matches, even to the peck marks!  I.e. more cast fakes. And the rest of their stock. Get reporting, guys!

Jerry

He's sold a few identical ones of those last week. Think i posted them up with another seller based in Tranent. I noticed another seller last night in Sofia , Bulgaria list 4 cnuts and an Aethelred. All almost identical in colour and tone. Definitely dodgy. 

I'll report those two above. ?

Edited by Ukstu

Happy New year.  I,ve reported him as well. Worth a try. I will watch with interest to see if ebay do anything. ?

• Like 1

Rob and Kal have discussed this within the last couple of days ; another fake.

Jerry

Edited by jelida
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, declan03 said:

There was a post about that last week on here. It's an electrotype i think. They usually go for £100 or thereabouts . Some people probably think it's geniune that's why it's gotten so many bids i expect. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Wow, an expensive mistake. Cheers.? 

1 hour ago, Ukstu said:

He's sold a few identical ones of those last week. Think i posted them up with another seller based in Tranent. I noticed another seller last night in Sofia , Bulgaria list 4 cnuts and an Aethelred. All almost identical in colour and tone. Definitely dodgy. 

I'll report those two above. ?

Reported as well!

33 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

There was a post about that last week on here. It's an electrotype i think. They usually go for £100 or thereabouts . Some people probably think it's geniune that's why it's gotten so many bids i expect. 

Am I missing something here? Whether it's an electrotype or not, it's being presented on eBay in such a way as to deceive in the same way as any counterfeit. Deserves reporting in my view and I have done so!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Am I missing something here? Whether it's an electrotype or not, it's being presented on eBay in such a way as to deceive in the same way as any counterfeit. Deserves reporting in my view and I have done so!

I reported it the day it was listed and before it was posted here for an opinion. 

Not sure that it is an electrotype, Kal suggests that it is a replica from dies by a known modern replica workshop, certainly the work is stylistically very poor and the silver (?) surface looks suspicious to me. Not the genuine article anyway, if they were ever produced during the civil war, though it might be a genuine ‘Scarborough Siege Piece’ if they are all more recent fantasy pieces ?.

Jerry

• Like 1

I know they usually only have Krause, but really??

I repeatedly reported the Premier coin one, and when I contacted their 'expert' all I got was  abuse.

They just hope that no-one knows enough and will spend hundreds on a ten pound coin.....

1897 Penny Great Britain - High Sea Level Variety - KM# 790 | eBay-2.webloc

1897 Penny Great Britain - High Sea Level Variety - KM# 790 | eBay.webloc

17 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Pah, it's only a 'Pontefract'. Probably came up with a few Saxon pennies and the odd triple unite. I'd better get the detector out and see if I can find any of the infinitely rarer ring pulls. Never see any of those listed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, declan03 said:

A half honest description. Doesn't state a copy, but does say for those who can't afford the £1000 plus. Just needs to dig a bit deeper and come completely clean.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

A half honest description. Doesn't state a copy, but does say for those who can't afford the £1000 plus. Just needs to dig a bit deeper and come completely clean.

Doesn't have such a detraction phrasing it that way. I am sure if he had used the word replica the bids would be much less . Plus he never actually states it not being genuine only that it's cheaper than the £1000 . Which could infer it's not in the same condition. They know how to word around everything these scammers. Pure scum. I'd shoot the lot if it was legal to do so lol :ph34r:

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Doesn't have such a detraction phrasing it that way. I am sure if he had used the word replica the bids would be much less . Plus he never actually states it not being genuine only that it's cheaper than the £1000 . Which could infer it's not in the same condition. They know how to word around everything these scammers. Pure scum. I'd shoot the lot if it was legal to do so lol :ph34r:

At £27 for a copy, I'm not sure. There's been no shortage of accurately described copies of various types selling for more. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I really don’t like this seller, I got really cross with them about 4 years ago over an Elizabeth martlet shilling that was for sale at £1k. It was at a time I could afford it and offered 900 cash privately, and would pick it up! They wouldn’t budge, and I couldn’t make them understand they’d actually be better off if I bought it without PP and Ebay charges, and with no delivery risks! Grrr! They sold it on eBay about 2 weeks later, annoying!

Anyway, I dislike them even more now, because these people actually know a little bit about coins...enough to know they are being deceptive here!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bagerap said:

NOW!!! reduced from £50,000 and with free postage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272998872727?ul_noapp=true

lol - I too had noticed it had been reduced from £50k to £8k over the holidays....  surely it isn't real at that price? It has some odd wear on the patina on the heads side....  but I am not an expert..... 

• Like 1

Given the mintage of what was it 7 or 8 known examples, if you had one and you knew it had a decent history, 30 seconds on google should have you running directly for a) the royal mint or 2) a reputable coindealer or III) a prominent Coin Aution house.

You wouldn't flog it off to someone who seems unable to speak english for a few quid, surely?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Given the mintage of what was it 7 or 8 known examples, if you had one and you knew it had a decent history, 30 seconds on google should have you running directly for a) the royal mint or 2) a reputable coindealer or III) a prominent Coin Aution house.

You wouldn't flog it off to someone who seems unable to speak english for a few quid, surely?

Probably Bulgarian!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Probably Bulgarian!

Yes prob a portrait of the local gypo :) Love the explanation of how it became larger by being pulled on. Must get a patent for stretchy Bronze lols :)