British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

MS66 really. ??? What am I missing. I know it was a problem year for strikes but it don't look that good. The ear tip is flat and so is the lions nose

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GR-BRITAIN-George-V-1917-AR-Sixpence-PCGS-MS66-SCBC-4014-Key-date/172990281429

14 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

MS66 really. ??? What am I missing. I know it was a problem year for strikes but it don't look that good. The ear tip is flat and so is the lions nose

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GR-BRITAIN-George-V-1917-AR-Sixpence-PCGS-MS66-SCBC-4014-Key-date/172990281429

The obverse looks a bit weaker than the norm, and there seem to be a few small scratches on both sides (although they could be on the slab).  Nice lustre though.

However, there are going to be nicer ones around with a number less than 66.  It certainly is not £290 worth of coin.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, secret santa said:

That's the elder cross gender sister Vicgeorgia :):P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Yes your right Dec, the die numbers started in 1864 through to 1879. The coin in question does look like an 1874

1844 with damage is worth an 1874 without, so an 1874 with damage as seen at £31 is too much as it's a common date. Maybe 20-25 tops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nick said:

It's a shilling not a sixpence.

Sorry, that was my attempt at humour.

i'm not very good at it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Sorry, that was my attempt at humour.

i'm not very good at it.

It was way too good for me. :)

• Like 1

Lmao ??????!!!

• Like 1

Every Picture Tells A Story :lol: 

• Like 1

Heres that seller who sold the dozen or so dodgy halfcrowns a fortnight ago.

Is the 1877 florin kosher? Strange coin to put in a "not scrap" load.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183g-Pre-1920-Silver-British-Coins-Not-Scrap/173004013888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Heres that seller who sold the dozen or so dodgy halfcrowns a fortnight ago.

Is the 1877 florin kosher? Strange coin to put in a "not scrap" load.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183g-Pre-1920-Silver-British-Coins-Not-Scrap/173004013888?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

There appears to be a couple of higher grade ones but all look cleaned, the coronation medal is particularly nice. Without a close up photo it's difficult to tell about the 1877 florin.

This is the biggest image available for the listing (it's not mine btw)...

Hopefully it will expand to full size when clicked on. (should then give you a + cursor to click it again to get the largest size)

clicky

clicky reverses

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
hyperlink instead and reverses

Nice one. Its quite a high looking grade coin (apart from the marks on the obverse which may clean off) and personally, if i was selling it, i would have sold it separately or at least have a better picture of it. Do those three lions look like they,ve just been minted?  ???

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Nice one. Its quite a high looking grade coin (apart from the marks on the obverse which may clean off) and personally, if i was selling it, i would have sold it separately or at least have a better picture of it. Do those three lions look like they,ve just been minted?  ???

Rule of thumb guys rule of thumb :)

I wouldn't be happy about the double forehead - poor lass looks like she's been axe murdered.

Given that all the rest are average, this one looks way too good to be in the group and would normally (if real) be sold seperately.

When viewing the images above at max size, try pressing CTRL and + (or - to shrink)  - this is browser zoom control.

It doesn't seem to help much, but if you have a decent resolution large screen it might.

1877.PNG

• Like 1

What i cannot understand is, why has he still got 100% feedback, after selling at least a dozen different dated halfcrowns a fortnight ago. Surely not all collectors are that naive that they think their purchase is real.

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I wouldn't be happy about the double forehead - poor lass looks like she's been axe murdered.

Given that all the rest are average, this one looks way too good to be in the group and would normally (if real) be sold seperately.

When viewing the images above at max size, try pressing CTRL and + (or - to shrink)  - this is browser zoom control.

It doesn't seem to help much, but if you have a decent resolution large screen it might.

1877.PNG

Looks very much like an ex mount probably why it looks better was protected by the broach pin? Are the arches supposed to be that big at the bottom? look like tidal waves :)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Looks very much like an ex mount probably why it looks better was protected by the broach pin? Are the arches supposed to be that big at the bottom? look like tidal waves :)

It's the angle of the photo zoo, have a look at the original further up the thread and you see what I mean

• Like 1