British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I messaged him also. He's said he's pulling it. Result ! ?

I received quite an abusive reply from this dickhead calling me a dickhead and a prick (in capital letters)! He claimed I accused him of trying to con people even though I certainly did not mention that at all. He also claimed that the others that messaged him recognised that he knew nothing about coins whereas I had not. I seem to have hit a nerve with my message despite it being polite. I think I shall report the abuse.

20 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I received quite an abusive reply from this dickhead calling me a dickhead and a prick (in capital letters)! He claimed I accused him of trying to con people even though I certainly did not mention that at all. He also claimed that the others that messaged him recognised that he knew nothing about coins whereas I had not. I seem to have hit a nerve with my message despite it being polite. I think I shall report the abuse.

He was abit abrupt but civil with me.  Your well within your rights to report him mate. No need for people to be like that when your offering help or advice. 

I quite agree, I merely used the words "I urge you to relist this item" going on to say that the present listing contravened Ebay's rules, nothing more than that yet this guy took offence. Maybe I was a bit pompous but the words were polite. Yes, I shall report him.

It amazes me how righteous these scumbags are when they are so blatant in their efforts to con the unsuspecting. 

2 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I quite agree, I merely used the words "I urge you to relist this item" going on to say that the present listing contravened Ebay's rules, nothing more than that yet this guy took offence. Maybe I was a bit pompous but the words were polite. Yes, I shall report him.

Unfotunately some people only really understand if you go down to there level.Being nice didnt work so dont report him just tell him to do one ....F%^c*N P$£%K :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

He doesnt say its rare just lists what it is and somebody thinks its worth £47.....Whats wrong with that ?.

I was trying to price it from Tony Claytons price guide and it just said it was extremely rare. No price.

40 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I was trying to price it from Tony Claytons price guide and it just said it was extremely rare. No price.

Davies 766 4B 1879 -41 trefoils - NDN £470

Davies 767 3B 1879-48 trefoils -  NDN £130

Davies 768 3B 1879-48 trefoils    NDN £190  (reads britt)

Davies 769 5B 1879-38 trefoils    NDN £120

Obviously prices aren't current but seems of the 4 types it is the 2nd scarcest  ;)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Cheers Zookeeper. I had a watch on it but missed the auction. I wasn't at all sure what sort of price it would sell for as both places i searched for prices said it was extremely rare. Your obviously in the know. By Davies, is this a coin price guide book?

17 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Cheers Zookeeper. I had a watch on it but missed the auction. I wasn't at all sure what sort of price it would sell for as both places i searched for prices said it was extremely rare. Your obviously in the know. By Davies, is this a coin price guide book?

For all things silver 19th century one of the bibles for silver coins  1816-1980 all silver and cupro issues. But best for 1816-1901. A must have book IMO and it isn't expensive.

I remember a guy I met at a coin auction he must of been 508 years old well in knowledge years at least lol :)

I said to him " what would you recommend as a first purchase" ?

He half looked up at me with his eyes angled behind a pair of milk bottle thick bifocals and said

"Son the first £200 purchase  you should spend your hard earned on is books. Without them you will be  in a dingy lost at sea" 

At first I thought silly  old duffer what's he on about but after my first few purchases were disasters I realised why he said that.

Being armed with as much knowledge as possible in the field of choice really is 50% of the battle the other 50% is a slow learning curve. I am not a big reader in fact I hate books with a passion . Probably because my mind works at breakneck speed and I find it difficult to concentrate but my memory recall is above normal not to the extent of once read never forgotten . I'll remember it all but just not in the correct order. there is a name for it probably (Rain main syndrome) :) . It's kind of like seeing something you liked or wanted to buy somewhere but you never made the purchase then 10 years on you see something similar. the memory comes to the fore like I had just seen it again for the first time. Sadly for me it isn't a perfect science and something are similar but are not the match I first thought. But I would be lost without the books.

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Rob should be able to sort you out a copy of Davies for the princely sum of about £18. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Rob should be able to sort you out a copy of Davies for the princely sum of about £18. ;)

British Silver Coins Since 1816 (Hardcover)  take up mrb's suggestion £18 is as cheap as chips :)

the postage will not be far off that.Get the fat wallet out and buy at sensible prices.

My eye sight or did they drop the ball with this 1? Is that a weakly struck E below the bust? If so how on earth did they miss it?

1697obv-tile.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

the postage will not be far off that.Get the fat wallet out and buy at sensible prices.

Haha!!

What is this Davies book called? ?

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

What is this Davies book called? ?

British Silver coins by Peter J Davies Since 1816. I bought a copy a month or so back to read up on Victoria shillings and its proving very useful

6 hours ago, Peter said:

Are we thinking of the same book? It would post for a couple of quid, surely? :huh:

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

My eye sight or did they drop the ball with this 1? Is that a weakly struck E below the bust? If so how on earth did they miss it?

1697obv-tile.jpg

Your eyesight I’m afraid ? just an assortment of shapes in the wrong place and the wrong size to be an ‘E’.

Jerry

1 minute ago, Rob said:

or me?

Scroll up a bit. :P

• Like 1

20 hours ago, declan03 said:

By Davies, is this a coin price guide book?

Just to answer the other part of your question - yes, it was also his own price guide when first issued in the early 1980s. Obviously, the prices listed are well out of date now, but they will indicate an approximate guide to relative rarities. Factor in though, that fewer people were interested in the minutiae of varieties back then, so if he's listed something at 4 or 5 times the value of the regular issue, it's probably rarer than you would think.

• Like 1

Wow the difference in prices on ebay.com to our uk version as in the coins we don't see and generally overall is like chalk and cheese. Surely common sense would suggest a slabbed coin price would be market value + W/E it cost to slab the coin and in some cases just market value. How do they think they will sell anything when they price x2 x3 x4 book prices? World full of muppets. Surely they don't think because it says NGC or PCGS that adds some extraordinary intrinsic value to a coin? All that means is you paid someone to verify what you already knew which seems bloody daft on the face of it. I think every penny I looked at and bearing in mind these are MS64RB not MS64RD £400-£900 none are rare.

Also why do they affix RB to our coins when it's as obvious as the nose on their face the coin is red full luster. Is it something to do with they have copper we have bronze?  I would imagine bronze in any condition the same as copper would be a darker tone? To me it doesn't do justice to many of the coins. There are many shades of red but when you start classifying coins in the RB state that tells me that the coin is on it's way to becoming brown. But you see the coin and there isn't a trace of brown on the coin. What gives?