British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

So.. a Real Vicky, the Slabbed CCCS Vicky and the Aliexpress (which looks more convincing than the CCCS one..)

Much apologies for my rudimentary crayon skills, I need to change and head to the pub!

Vickies.JPG

• Like 1

Certainly Cannot Comment Sirs. It looks ok to me. ???

2 hours ago, declan03 said:

Really he only had to look at the B in Britt and see how long the bottom serif is the upward curve would start much later nearly where the right leg of the R starts to curve?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

So.. a Real Vicky, the Slabbed CCCS Vicky and the Aliexpress (which looks more convincing than the CCCS one..)

Much apologies for my rudimentary crayon skills, I need to change and head to the pub!

Vickies.JPG

Notice alibababa coin they use a C for a G lols

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Really he only had to look at the B in Britt and see how long the bottom serif is the upward curve would start much later nearly where the right leg of the R starts to curve?

Is this a new variant?

Sorry, been to the pub lol :)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Is this a new variant?

Sorry, been to the pub lol :)

Yes its called the R over Almost a B in BRITT :)

• Like 1

Is this lot above board and what is the small writing about on the obverse of the shilling?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/silver-coins-charles1-and-2-george-3-and-old-long-cross-silver-coin/122797190412?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Edited by declan03
spelling error
  • Like 1

Looks fine. It is a scottish coin (merk). Some have marks below the bust. The profile looks Scottish. Some have a small F for Falconer or a thistle below the bust. I can't make it out fully as i am on my phone. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

Its a thistle below the bust.

The George III's  all look absolutely fine, no idea on the small hammered (not my thing at all - although I love to find them :)) -the big one looks remarkably like a really bad Lizzie 1st.

200 quid? No way.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Its a thistle below the bust.

The George III's  all look absolutely fine, no idea on the small hammered (not my thing at all - although I love to find them :)) -the big one looks remarkably like a really bad Lizzie 1st.

200 quid? No way.

USA VF $450 for charles 1673 Merk

3 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

USA VF $450 for charles 1673 Merk

There not cheap. Thats the first I've seen under £300. I bet he didn't have a clue it was a merk/ half merk.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. 1st time i,ve seen a merk. ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Cheers guys. 1st time i,ve seen a merk. ?

Likewise, and if it isn't I've probbaly flogged them off dirt cheap as "foreign" :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Likewise, and if it isn't I've probbaly flogged them off dirt cheap as "foreign" :)

The other 1 is charles I shilling tower mint I believe 1639-40 . I am sure i'll be corrected if I am wrong :)  Although if those are sixpences below it might be a half crown or were shillings massive in 1639?

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

There not cheap. Thats the first I've seen under £300. I bet he didn't have a clue it was a merk/ half merk.

unsold prob the 0 sales put bidders off

It is indeed. Triangle mintmark. That lot was easily worth the £200. Keep an eye out for a relist ?. He might even lower it lol. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

Blimey, I can learn new things (and reassuringly my wife is wrong - I don't know everything ;))

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Blimey, I can learn new things (and reassurinly my wife is wrong - I don't know everything ;))

I think it would be. The merks the really valuable one out the bunch. The Longcross is a good grade also. I suppose if the Geo III trio was ok it would be a good deal. The Charles 1st is a bit shagged. ?. You might make back what you shelled out if you put the merk back on eBay i suppose.

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

I think it would be. The merks the really valuable one out the bunch. The Longcross is a good grade also. I suppose if the Geo III trio was ok it would be a good deal. The Charles 1st is a bit shagged. ?

Could always contact him say you was a work missed the auction ask him to send you a buy it now sale job done. No more trade secrets that's a xmas presi lmao :)

Oh  just in case anyones interested. Sold the 1837 sixpence B/RRITANNIAR error £300. That will get the grand daughter some gifts for xmas :)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, zookeeperz said:

Could always contact him say you was a work missed the auction ask him to send you a buy it now sale job done. No more trade secrets that's a xmas presi lmao :)

Am skint now lol. I've shelled out just shy of £200 this week on short cross coins. Christmas snapping at my heels as well i think am done til January. 

• Like 3

Hey, i spotted it 1st. I messaged him 5 minutes ago ?.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Hey, i spotted it 1st. I messaged him 5 minutes ago ?.

Try and haggle him down a bit lol. If you want a rough idea of value on the merk see what there going for in that condition on eBay. Good luck with them. 

Here's a similar one. There ain't many on there though. Saw another one for £550

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scotland-Silver-Charles-II-Merk-13s-4d-S5611-1673-First-Coinage/382278605456

Edited by Ukstu
Linked
  • Like 1