British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

This guy's even selling it with a C.O.A (NO TIMEWASTERS) or does he mean wise people telling him he's a crook £1000 guess which one is his Struck to proof standard Really? Strange the C..O.A doesn't have RM on it . Looks like a cutting from a news article?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Q-V-SILVER-GOTHIC-CROWN-1847-No-Time-Wasters-Please/263316076040

1847 gothicobv-tile.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

Anniversary indeed!! Like you said Zookeeper this could easily fool a lot of collectors....thanks for the heads up ?.

Edited by declan03
spelling error

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

This guy's even selling it with a C.O.A (NO TIMEWASTERS) or does he mean wise people telling him he's a crook £1000 guess which one is his Struck to proof standard Really? Strange the C..O.A doesn't have RM on it . Looks like a cutting from a news article?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Q-V-SILVER-GOTHIC-CROWN-1847-No-Time-Wasters-Please/263316076040

1847 gothicobv-tile.jpg

Left?

I decided to email the seller of these fake Danewood halfcrowns to cancel the order, instead of risking the £100 purchase price on a risky return, to leave the negative feedback. He claims to have no idea what i am talking about, even although the 10+ halfcrowns he sold were all replicas from the same place.  How on earth can he have 1500+ sales with no negative feedback whatsoever? I was going to report him to ebay via telephone. But is it really worth all the time and hassle trying to explain to someone who hasn't a clue about coins, that he has ripped off loads of buyers? The answer is NO because ebay could not care less, which has been said a thousand times on here. They do not want any bad publicity by getting Fraud squads involved with, which  to them is a trivial matter, prosecuting, finding people guilty, then getting it all plastered over the media and showing Ebay for what it is. They don't even want you leaving negative feedback as its bad for business. I left negative feedback for a seller who sold me a dud, after a lenghthy case against him, only for it to be rescinded a day later. So really why bother. Ebay the judge and jury!! At the end of the day, your really using Ebay at your own peril. Some you win and some you lose. ?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, declan03 said:

I decided to email the seller of these fake Danewood halfcrowns to cancel the order, instead of risking the £100 purchase price on a risky return, to leave the negative feedback. He claims to have no idea what i am talking about, even although the 10+ halfcrowns he sold were all replicas from the same place.  How on earth can he have 1500+ sales with no negative feedback whatsoever? I was going to report him to ebay via telephone. But is it really worth all the time and hassle trying to explain to someone who hasn't a clue about coins, that he has ripped off loads of buyers? The answer is NO because ebay could not care less, which has been said a thousand times on here. They do not want any bad publicity by getting Fraud squads involved with, which  to them is a trivial matter, prosecuting, finding people guilty, then getting it all plastered over the media and showing Ebay for what it is. They don't even want you leaving negative feedback as its bad for business. I left negative feedback for a seller who sold me a dud, after a lenghthy case against him, only for it to be rescinded a day later. So really why bother. Ebay the judge and jury!! At the end of the day, your really using Ebay at your own peril. Some you win and some you lose. ?

As we have seen in the news over recent months with all the can't touch me actors and film producers we live in a time of name and shame. Ebay are breaking the law they are breaking trade practice definitions they are certainly not holding to any ethics mandates. Known fraudsters are allowed to continue to ply their trade unhindered and worse than that ebay covers their scams with 100% feedback protection. Should ebay be brought before an ethics committee? too bloody right they should.! Should ebay be brought before the trades and commerce ombudsman  too bloody right they should.! . The thing about staying silent the problem only compounds itself. Ebay have a high profile on British TV yet they have the practices of a bootsale outfit. They have had a good run and if they are not willing to protect the people that for the most part pay their wages then they must go. It will fire a shot across the bows of any similar organisations who think they can do the same. If Ebay can be taken down then anyone can. I feel that this action will restore the faith in online purchasing as a whole and kick this industries butt into line. But it needs a heavy player(s) to carry it off. Where do you start? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

If you phone ebay to tell them why you are not paying rather than paying and returning them they will listen.You have done a fantastic job putting them on here and not worth the hastle of doing anymore.

HAT OFF and move on.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That was produced last week in Dagenham Essex :lol:

Reported and seller messaged.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That was produced last week in Dagenham Essex :lol:

Reported the blighter...we can but try!!

Edited by declan03
spelling error
  • Like 1

Just now, hibernianscribe said:

was it a before the watershed message :)?

• Like 1

Has the 1883 halfcrown possibly been cleaned?

2 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Has the 1883 halfcrown possibly been cleaned?

It just looks really chunky rather than defined the jewels should be diamond shaped not dots unless its the result of silver dipping?

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Thank you. Looks to have worked. Good Job! ?

33 minutes ago, declan03 said:

If he has been told by a dealer at Charing Cross that it is a £1200 coin all day long, then they would offer him £800 for it without question - somewhat better than the £430 net he will receive from eBay after costs. Wonder why he doesn't sell it to them?

• Like 1

Haha ?????. I give up Rob!!! I,m away to read your words of wisdom in my newly aquired Bronze coinage of Great Britain.  ?

• Like 1

I would love to see his certificate of authenticity from Westminster!!

I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on a Gothic, but this (practice of restrike/repro/copy/ripoff etc.)  is seriously going to make the task of getting a genuine one much harder, so if you have one I guess the rule of thumb is now either slab it or ensure you have a decent set of dcos to go with it.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

I would love to see his certificate of authenticity from Westminster!!

He does show it in his last pic, it looks as dubious as everything else in this ad, and of course is completely unattributable to the ‘coin’ in question.

Jerry

• Like 1

I gave up after picture seven Jerry!! ?

1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Her nose looks just  like the replica/restrikes from aliexpress... or do I need my glasses on again? (and who are CCCS?) Chinese Coin Copying Service ?

Corrupt coin counterfeiting society?

• Like 2