British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

10 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Referring to Richard's site, he says that it's "distinguishable by there being only 5 border teeth from the upright of the R to the top of the I in VICTORIA".

How was example 6 identified please? https://rarestpennies.wordpress.com/1881h-f103/

Thanks for the interesting link 

10 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Referring to Richard's site, he says that it's "distinguishable by there being only 5 border teeth from the upright of the R to the top of the I in VICTORIA".

How was example 6 identified please? https://rarestpennies.wordpress.com/1881h-f103/

Easiest at a glance is that the bottom of the ribbon hangs facing outwards (just) rather than pointing downwards. 

Jerry

Just now, jelida said:

Easiest at a glance is that the bottom of the ribbon hangs facing outwards (just) rather than pointing downwards. 

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. Half the battle here is knowing the indicators. :)

15 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Most definitely lol. Terrible one too. Found in grandads things! That old chesnut. Unfortunately with 2 hrs to go that buggers found it's self a new owner.

• Like 1

He knows a lot about this "coin" but fails to mention the huge WRL stamp slap bang in the middle of it! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-John-short-cross-penny-cross-Pommee-type-moneyer-SIMON-on-Canterbury/132389616191

Edited by Ukstu

He can write up a better description than me, then says he knows nothing about coins. As you said, its strange he missed the WRL on it. I,ve reported it. ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, declan03 said:

He can write up a better description than me, then says he knows nothing about coins. As you said, its strange he missed the WRL on it. I,ve reported it. ?

I know. He's gone to a lot of trouble to research it and weigh it yet he omits the fact its a pewter lump. Dishonest to the core. 

2 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I know. He's gone to a lot of trouble to research it and weigh it yet he omits the fact its a pewter lump. Dishonest to the core. 

What does WRL stand for? Worse Replica Lump? :)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

What does WRL stand for? Worse Replica Lump? :)

I suppose it could do ? , would be an accurate representation.

It's Westair Reproductions Limited. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

He knows a lot about this "coin" but fails to mention the huge WRL stamp slap bang in the middle of it! 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/King-John-short-cross-penny-cross-Pommee-type-moneyer-SIMON-on-Canterbury/132389616191

Reported, and I have sent him a message.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Thank you. I fear you may get a GFY but thanks for trying. He's put too much effort into that scam to back down but I'll cross my fingers. Good luck. 

I stand corrected. Well done. It's gone!

Edited by Ukstu
Listing removed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Got a very quick response from the seller saying it was part of a 'job lot' and thanking me for pointing out his mistake. He did appear to be genuine. Actually, I also think he was mistaken because I wouldn't have thought anyone knowingly selling a fake such as this as genuine, would be stupid enough to take pictures that show the thickness of the coin - that's a sure sign of naivety rather than intentional fraud. Good on him though, he's going to relist it.

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 4

Good result. Thanks again ! ?

I got caught out today on the old switcheroo via eBay. Manor coins. Sent me a totally different grade coin to the one he listed. He's agreed a full refund. Bloody annoying though as I've got to go out and buy a padded envelope now and trek upto the PO to send it. The ups n downs of eBay!

Hi Stu.

I know this seller as he has bought a few of my coins over the years and i,ve bought some of his. It would have been a simple mistake on his behalf and he wouldn't do you a bad turn. It wouldn't have been a Q/A by any chance? I just purchased an 1890 Q/V halfcrown last night from him at auction on ebay.  A nice old gent of 85 who has just recently branched out into selling Roman coins too. Rather him than me!! His coins are usually better than his photos suggest , as i think he is long sighted or short sighted in your case!!  ??????

30 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Hi Stu.

I know this seller as he has bought a few of my coins over the years and i,ve bought some of his. It would have been a simple mistake on his behalf and he wouldn't do you a bad turn. It wouldn't have been a Q/A by any chance? I just purchased an 1890 Q/V halfcrown last night from him at auction on ebay.  A nice old gent of 85 who has just recently branched out into selling Roman coins too. Rather him than me!! His coins are usually better than his photos suggest , as i think he is long sighted or short sighted in your case!!  ??????

It was a Trajan coin. I thought I'd dip my toes in the water once more with them. Again it's gone pete tong. I've had nothing but bad luck with Roman coins. He appears to have listed the coin incorrectly or something. Here is the coin i bought , not at that price though, it was a BIN haggle. https://manor-coins.co.uk/product/r25-roman-imperial-high-grade-ar-denarius-trajan-98-117ad/

But here is what i recieved. I've settled for a full refund rather than try to get the coin advertised. Like you say it's probably a mistake on his behalf. 

I've purchased two coins off eBay recently  , this is one and the others not arrived , the sellers not providing any information. Supposed to be sent 1st class recorded, no coin , no tracking and no comms. Had to put in a DNR which he hasn't responded to yet. ?

JointPics_20171107_101408.JPG

Edited by Ukstu

I,m still awaiting a response for the 1906 shilling which i purchased from ebay last week. I listed a pic on the forum about it. Like you it was a poor quality coin i received. Looks like i will have to open a case against him.

Did the old boy not have the coin he had pictured? Yes, he is always open to a haggle. He has a site on ebay, cott2556, you will see what i mean about his pictures, although at the moment they look not too bad. 

Here's one i purchased from him last night. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Halfcrown-1890-/232539939971?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=b8BWj%2FFYvI09EkLSnPduB8JVS14%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

• Like 1

I assume he still had it as it's still listed on his website. I take it he did not realise i was haggling over that coin though and sent the lower grade one. He mentioned something about too many trajans spoil the broth which i took to mean he had lots of trajans and had sent the wrong one. I requested the refund rather than mess about any further exchanging prices over the actual coin i wanted. My luck & patience with Roman coins has run out i am afraid. 

Edited by Ukstu

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

I,m still awaiting a response for the 1906 shilling which i purchased from ebay last week. I listed a pic on the forum about it. Like you it was a poor quality coin i received. Looks like i will have to open a case against him.

Did the old boy not have the coin he had pictured? Yes, he is always open to a haggle. He has a site on ebay, cott2556, you will see what i mean about his pictures, although at the moment they look not too bad. 

Here's one i purchased from him last night. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Queen-Victoria-Halfcrown-1890-/232539939971?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=b8BWj%2FFYvI09EkLSnPduB8JVS14%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Nice coin by the way. I hope you sort your DNR out . I've examined my DNR sellers feedback and noticed he's got a neg for not sending an item which he went on to sell the following month later at a higher cost so i suspect thats the motive behind his actions and that he'll relist it once the dust settles. 

• Like 1

Sounds like Bill Stu!! Don,t let it put you off collecting the Roman coins. I actually have 2 or 3  of his Roman coins in my collection. Rather quite interesting.  Not exactly what i collect though.

I once bought a joblot of coins at a total bargain from ebay on auction. After a few messages and no response i opened a case against him. The cheeky sod said if i wanted a bargain i should have went to Lidl!!

• Like 3

Lidl lol. What a cheek!!

I will for now delay collecting Romans i think. I seem to have the luck of the emperor's when purchasing them though, bad things happen! It must be an omen of some sort...?

I'll put the refund towards something else to console my sorrows i think...perhaps another short cross ?

It's all a learning curve i guess , if we use eBay as much as we do its to be expected if a few eggs out the dozen end up broken so to speak. 

4 hours ago, Ukstu said:

I got caught out today on the old switcheroo via eBay. Manor coins. Sent me a totally different grade coin to the one he listed. He's agreed a full refund. Bloody annoying though as I've got to go out and buy a padded envelope now and trek upto the PO to send it. The ups n downs of eBay!

Yes Stu if your using ebay regular as most of us do better to buy a few envelopes :)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Stu if your using ebay regular as most of us do better to buy a few envelopes :)

Point taken lol. Rare occurrence for me this. I am usually a happy chappie with my purchases. I'll pick up a few at the PO tommorow to be on the safe side though..?

• Like 1