British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Not the same coin - open a dispute, not as described, include photographic evidence like this:

temp123.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

OH EM GEE . Made my morning. Just pure class. I love the way they made it look like a 3 year old did it. Wait a minute...... lol :)

:huh::D

Come on dudes, stop slagging off my listings!! ???

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Come on dudes, stop slagging off my listings!! ???

I was tempted to buy it as a reminder to myself. Keep it real son keep it real :P

I did once attemt to paint a Peter Rabbit 50p, how easy can that be i thought......but i ain't going to embarrass myself by adding the picture. ???????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

I did once attemt to paint a Peter Rabbit 50p, how easy can that be i thought......but i ain't going to embarrass myself by adding the picture. ???????

I wouldn't even attempt is as I said somewhere before. I was given a D+ for my interpretation of a stickman lol

• Like 2

I'll post this here guys seeing as they are ebay coins. Yes I know they are lowballers. But notice the 1863 shilling has been struck on another coin. the design looks like two crowns one left one right and some sort of tower or castle in the middle . Thing is whatever the design is you can clearly see it . I see things like this all the time but none are ever as clear. the 1872 falls in that category it has the same strike over you probably need good eyes but across the face you can see the line that runs across on both coins. I don't know weather there is an english design of this nature or if this was struck on old foreign coins but seeing as there are 9 years between the dates they must of had stockpiles of whatever they are? anyone care to chip in what coins they are struck on? Oh the 1872 is the left coin and the 1863 is on the right think its at £37 on fleabay at the moment even in that state and I think everyone can see the what's beneath. 

1872shilling-tile.jpg

I’m afraid I can’t see any of what you describe. I know that a couple of bronze pennies  of the early 1860’s have been found struck over Italian centissimo (?) coins, but I understand they were struck at the Heaton mint, and the foreigners were probably conveniently to hand when checking die alignment etc, or perhaps fell into the blanks bucket as the mint produced both. I have never heard of Victorian silver- struck at the RM-  being struck over foreign coins. You would need far clearer examples to be definitive, and rule out post mint damage etc.

Jerry

Amazed at what the scuffed, plugged coin is going for though. But sixpence are not my thing.

Edited by jelida

2 hours ago, jelida said:

I’m afraid I can’t see any of what you describe. I know that a couple of bronze pennies  of the early 1860’s have been found struck over Italian centissimo (?) coins, but I understand they were struck at the Heaton mint, and the foreigners were probably conveniently to hand when checking die alignment etc, or perhaps fell into the blanks bucket as the mint produced both. I have never heard of Victorian silver- struck at the RM-  being struck over foreign coins. You would need far clearer examples to be definitive, and rule out post mint damage etc.

Jerry

Amazed at what the scuffed, plugged coin is going for though. But sixpence are not my thing.

It's not post mint damage can you not see the crown to the right of of the truncation on the right hand coin and the 2nd crown under the chin. Its a plain as day. Perhaps because this is my niche I am used to seeing outlines and omitting the impossible. I was thinking earlier it might well be upside down  or at a slight angle. India would be my choice the half-rupee . The gothic design remained the same for many years . I bought the one on the left hoping it is the stop between R and A of gratia variety. I Shall when it arrives if it is or not

Yikes, you've got better eyes than mine. IMO the '63 just has too much wear post minting as well as possible striking damage/irregularity, and even any PMD would also be significantly worn. 

Now I have a 1981 and a 1983 penny struck over 1950s sixpences but even the worst of those are AU58 so that even the date of the underlying coin is plainly readable. I don't pretend to be encyclopedic in my knowledge but I am somewhat familiar with the Vicky 6d series and have yet to positively identify any overstrikes on foreign coins. What would be helpful is some initial metal composition and weight workup.

What do your coins weigh to the nearest 1/10 gm? If possible a specific gravity or metal content reading would be great. Maybe a blowup of the areas to which you refer also.

Anyway, let's see where this thread goes.

3 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I'll post this here guys seeing as they are ebay coins. Yes I know they are lowballers. But notice the 1863 shilling has been struck on another coin. the design looks like two crowns one left one right and some sort of tower or castle in the middle . Thing is whatever the design is you can clearly see it . I see things like this all the time but none are ever as clear. the 1872 falls in that category it has the same strike over you probably need good eyes but across the face you can see the line that runs across on both coins. I don't know weather there is an english design of this nature or if this was struck on old foreign coins but seeing as there are 9 years between the dates they must of had stockpiles of whatever they are? anyone care to chip in what coins they are struck on? Oh the 1872 is the left coin and the 1863 is on the right think its at £37 on fleabay at the moment even in that state and I think everyone can see the what's beneath. 

1872shilling-tile.jpg

I can see a ghost of something in the space behind the neck and under the bun on the rh coin, but not a bloomin thing on the one on left. 

India half rupee should be about .17 ounce, sixpence about .010 or a little less.

2 hours ago, VickySilver said:

India half rupee should be about .17 ounce, sixpence about .010 or a little less.

They are shillings Vic . I think jelida thought they were sixpences

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I can see a ghost of something in the space behind the neck and under the bun on the rh coin, but not a bloomin thing on the one on left. 

Like I said the left hand coin it is very subtle but if you look under the chin you will see a line of raised dots Arcing from where the adam's apple would be in a curve from right to left.

Edited by zookeeperz

Shillings aren’t my thing either! ?

But I think we are looking a differential wear and damage, and pareidolia here, with typically low res Ebay photos.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

pareidolia

That's not in my dictionary, Jerry - is it an obscure Welsh word ?

45 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Pareidolia is the phenemenon of seeing an image of something, from an otherwise completely random arrangement. For example seeing faces in clouds.

Here is an example of pareidolia in wood. You can see a dog's face, ears and front legs, which has been created unintentionally by the random arrangement of the grain. Incidentally, the Welsh for pareidoila is also pareidolia.

Some religious people think they've seen Jesus Christ !!!   

Dog_on_closet_door_by_Chad_Johns_on_FB-e

Edited by 1949threepence
spelling error
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Paredoila is the phenemenon of seeing an image of something, from an otherwise completely random arrangement. For example seeing faces in clouds.

Here is an example of paredoila in wood. You can see a dog's face, ears and front legs, which has been created unintentionally by the random arrangement of the grain. Incidentally, the Welsh for paredoila is also paredoila.

Some religious people think they've seen Jesus Christ !!!   

Dog_on_closet_door_by_Chad_Johns_on_FB-e

I see one of the fluffy dogs lol

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Actually, I learnt it on this forum! Too many intellectuals around here! 

Also after 52 years, I now reside 2 miles into England! But most of the names are Welsh, so it’s not all bad!?

From beautiful South West Herefordshire ?

Jerry

14 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

1872shilling-tile.jpg

I did see the 1863 shilling zoo but never noticed the markings. I passed it by for another which I shall post up when it arrives as id like opinions on it, hopefully that will be tomorrow

Ha!  Why can't individuals get in on the fun?  NGC and PCGS, you're on notice...there's a new kid on the block.  The slabs can be purchased on eBay and the label looks like it was done on a home printer...sad.  You know I enjoy TPG coins but even this makes me shake my head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isle-of-Man-Farthing-1839-AU-KM-12/142550029480?hash=item2130a4d4a8:g:lnoAAOSwySRZ0sj4

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jester said:

Ha!  Why can't individuals get in on the fun?  NGC and PCGS, you're on notice...there's a new kid on the block.  The slabs can be purchased on eBay and the label looks like it was done on a home printer...sad.  You know I enjoy TPG coins but even this makes me shake my head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Isle-of-Man-Farthing-1839-AU-KM-12/142550029480?hash=item2130a4d4a8:g:lnoAAOSwySRZ0sj4

He's been about for donkey's years.  Generally over grades everything by 2 grades Not the seller the slabber :) If memory serves he did work for one of the TPG's for a short while

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 2