British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

OK, we probably all agree that a huge % of ebay is:
                            1) Sh**e
                            2) More sh**e, misdescribed
                            3) More Sh**e, knowingly misdescribed
                            4) Misdescribed through lack of knowlwedge
                                                        5) Misdescribed because "I Googled it and it's worf faaasands"
At weekends, with a drink in my hand, I frequently put a snipe at "asking price" on 2) & 4). If I don't win, no sweat. 
But when I win, it keeps me in good brandy.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

It's even been graded so it must be worth a fortune!!

47 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

It's even been graded so it must be worth a fortune!!

That is the other side of the coin right there. Why do people think because someone in a building gave an opinion on his/her coins grade and then put it in a nice plastic coffin it somehow magically soared in value to 500 x book price?. TPG if anything only confirms  what you already know yourself. That fool and I have to say fool becuase surely to god he knew that as soon as he posted the parcel he was losing money?

7 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That is the other side of the coin right there. Why do people think because someone in a building gave an opinion on his/her coins grade and then put it in a nice plastic coffin it somehow magically soared in value to 500 x book price?. TPG if anything only confirms  what you already know yourself. That fool and I have to say fool becuase surely to god he knew that as soon as he posted the parcel he was losing money?

This is all indicative of the mindset in the US regarding grading and indeed, what is asked and paid for fro unremarkable, run-of-the-mill coins. Not so long ago on the Coin Community Forum I was 'shot down' for deriding a very ordinary UNC common Elizabeth II shilling that was being sold for around $200 because it had a bit of rainbow toning that I argued could have been achieved by enclosing the coins with a hard-boiled egg, My point of view was simply not accepted - it's a different mindset over there!

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

yes mate J.E.B> on truncation they always sell well in any grade

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

This is all indicative of the mindset in the US regarding grading and indeed, what is asked and paid for fro unremarkable, run-of-the-mill coins. Not so long ago on the Coin Community Forum I was 'shot down' for deriding a very ordinary UNC common Elizabeth II shilling that was being sold for around $200 because it had a bit of rainbow toning that I argued could have been achieved by enclosing the coins with a hard-boiled egg, My point of view was simply not accepted - it's a different mindset over there!

same for their take on die cracks and broken letters. They pay huge amounts things like that. Where we just disregard it

10 hours ago, Rob said:

Silly. It's all that is wrong with eBay, or at least the people who buy there.

Rob I frequently buy on eBay. I love watching the listings, researching what is on offer, weeding out the crap and putting cheeky bids on those I fancy. I have been very happy with my purchases, and have received full refunds for any coins not as described. 

I could just buy from a "professional" coin seller and pay their 50% markup plus VAT, without any need to research the coins. But to me that is not collecting, it is simply investing.

Please don't insult buyers that choose to use eBay!

Yes, I tend to agree with you Newhart as even in the presence of plenty of dross, there are some very nice coins occasionally on sale there. I really have gotten some unbelievable coins on the 'bay, even done not so well on a few and ducked the junque (LOL).

• Like 1

I enjoy a bit of ebay buying, although I do treat it with the contempt it deserves, trying to hit things with low "pot-shot" bids to see if I can bag an absolute bargain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, newheart said:

Rob I frequently buy on eBay. I love watching the listings, researching what is on offer, weeding out the crap and putting cheeky bids on those I fancy. I have been very happy with my purchases, and have received full refunds for any coins not as described. 

I could just buy from a "professional" coin seller and pay their 50% markup plus VAT, without any need to research the coins. But to me that is not collecting, it is simply investing.

Please don't insult buyers that choose to use eBay!

The point I am making is that so many things are described as UNC and people will bid on them because they are so described. If you don't put unc in the title virtually nobody will look at it, but the truth is that UNC coins make up a tiny fraction of one percent of the total population. Some are aware of this but many aren't. This thread exists in large part because of delusional sellers and buyers alike. It is like 'rare' on ebay. About 8 or 10 years ago in this thread I took the first 25 'rare' coins and separated out the rarities. There was a 1934 halfcrown, which is scarce in high grade, and an 1853/2 halfpenny which is at least verging on rare. The rest were 1967 penny type material. Descriptions are best ignored.

The volume of listings is such that I believe it has conditioned people to expect most things to cost 99p or not much above because there are too few eyeballs for widespread competitive bidding. I usually list some piece of junk that has a chance of selling even at a quid, just to get a card out and advertise the site and so open eyes to the fact that there is a world outside ebay. I would also like to add that it is not a very successful method, but hope springs eternal. Ebay is just another place to buy, not the only place.

Most dealers do not make 50% + VAT. 20% is closer to the mark for a typical sale, (and the VAT is applied to the margin, not the full price), though clearly some things slip under the radar and are acquired cheaply. Whether you buy on ebay or from a dealer, you will have researched the coin just in establishing what you want. Investing is buying cheap and selling dear, just as it is for everything else.

• Like 2

ok come on fess up who stole my bloody sixpence. I came here read the threads and missed the auction lols. 1887 sixpence  wreath in about g/f possible overdate on 2nd 8 £2.90 how rude ;)

Not me ?

When it comes to ebay its a case of the good, the bad and the darned right ugly. A bit of a minefield out there as i,ve found to my cost. Even buying from reputable dealers like DNW auctions, when you receive the coins, they are nothing like what they were in the pictures as they have all been photoshopped to a uniform colour, but who is going to complain to a large company like that. I see a few sellers on ebay creeping in with that style of listing as well and i,m surprised they have 100% feedback. I,ve purchased one or two coins like this and quite frankly they,ve just been tarted up. I just avoid these coins now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Even buying from reputable dealers like DNW auctions, when you receive the coins, they are nothing like what they were in the pictures as they have all been photoshopped to a uniform colour, but who is going to complain to a large company like that. 

I've always found DNW pictures to be pretty good.

I find they try to make even their darkest toned silver coins look light with whatever app they use. But everyone has their know opinions about this method of photography. 

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

"Sold without guarantee of authenticity" Hardly surprising seeing as it is fake cast garbage from a monarch who reigned for 6 years and died @ the age of 15. Didn't know he died of old age and a bald head. reigned 1547-1553  R.I.P my lord :)

Oh he made a typo i'll forgive him that but surely to go he must know the difference between a crown and a florin? Perhaps it's Edward VII+3/4 :)

Edited by zookeeperz

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

"Sold without guarantee of authenticity" Hardly surprising seeing as it is fake cast garbage from a monarch who reigned for 6 years and died @ the age of 15. Didn't know he died of old age and a bald head. reigned 1547-1553  R.I.P my lord :)

Oh he made a typo i'll forgive him that but surely to go he must know the difference between a crown and a florin? Perhaps it's Edward VII+3/4 :)

Forgetting the horrendous legend anomalies, a George V florin at that!

Edited by hibernianscribe

5 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Strangely it ships from Russia - now that's surprising! The seller's in the US though and many of his other English items for sale are the commonest-of-common British crowns.

13 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Strangely it ships from Russia - now that's surprising! The seller's in the US though and many of his other English items for sale are the commonest-of-common British crowns.

He's trading as a bona-fide coin dealer, "Imperia Coins" - 'sign up' for his newsletter he says! 

I notice I've just graduated from 'starter' to 'junior' member. Does this mean everybody buys me a drink?!! ;):)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

I notice I've just graduated from 'starter' to 'junior' member. Does this mean everybody buys me a drink?!! ;):)

A lot of the so called coin dealers are merely drop shippers on small margins playing the bulk order roulette wheel. They source  either real or replica's get a bulk deal and send the info on to the shippers they are only middle men really nothing more. I bought you a drink but as you couldn't be here I drank it :)

Edited by zookeeperz