British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Those free listings are a nuisance. ?

Here is another i purchased from ebay. Would this be the scarcer unbarred A in Maria variety of threepence  or just a weak strike?

20171004_100215~2.jpg

20171004_100203~2.jpg

11 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Here is another i purchased from ebay. Would this be the scarcer unbarred A in Maria variety of threepence  or just a weak strike?

20171004_100215~2.jpg

20171004_100203~2.jpg

Impossible to say. The other letters appear to be partially blocked, so there is no reason to assume the presence or lack of crossbar. Unless a coin is near to as struck and crucially, well struck, the jury is always out regarding inverted Vs because as the crossbar was often an addition, it frequently appears weak and is often the first feature to fill.

Thank you Rob . Wasn't quite sure as the price guide mentioned unbarred A's plural. And there are a few other letters blocked as you mentioned. I will treat as the common kind until such a time as i uncover a better example. 

Your quick response is very much appreciated. 

Regards. 

Looks like MARII to me the first A is barred from your picture but the last A is exactly the same as the I unless you can see remnants of the A . Drawing on the conclusion that the right leg would be the same as the first and it isn't its thinner so I assume it's an I . I sit all day doing this lol. It is so very difficult with pics unless they are so clear and that hardly ever is the case. Sometimes what I think i see isn't the case but what I see when I get it in my hand something that never showed on the original pic. So sometimes I'll throw caution to the wind as there is bound to be an error somewhere :)

Just noticed the small S on obverse and irregular font sizes on reverse. A variety?

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

162689599678  If it is UNC then the RM has a real problem on their hands. They hired Stevie Wonder  as the engraver :lol:

• Like 1

Zookeeper. ..with that grammar on the 3d, i could have minted it in a past life. ???

49 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

162689599678  If it is UNC then the RM has a real problem on their hands. They hired Stevie Wonder  as the engraver :lol:

It's incredible that 11 bids have been made by 7 separate bidders - but one bidder appears to have bid against himself, bumping it up 4 times! Something fishy here!

Edited by hibernianscribe

12 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

It's incredible that 11 bids have been made by 7 separate bidders - but one bidder appears to have bid against himself, bumping it up 4 times! Something fishy here!

Not sure what you mean there is nothing wrong with bidding four times ?

People seem happy to pay around £20 for one :)

I was commenting on the fact that one bidder was bidding 4 times in a row without any opposing bids in between - but I suppose since you mention it this does happen if a bidder wants to revise his maximum bid. Still a bit unusual though?

The price of those £1 coins have ben selling for £20+ since it was announced on the BBC national news yesterday, that they were going out of circulation and that the Edinburgh capital cities was rare. He also mentioned a set could end up going for £36+

Hope this explains it.

4 hours ago, declan03 said:

20171004_100215~2.jpg

20171004_100203~2.jpg

Nice find ?. I love these twin profile coins. 

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

I was commenting on the fact that one bidder was bidding 4 times in a row without any opposing bids in between - but I suppose since you mention it this does happen if a bidder wants to revise his maximum bid. Still a bit unusual though?

Think this is just when someone bids, but not high enough to take the lead. They bid a bit more, still not enough. A bit more, etc.

Here is another purchase i made from ebay at the weekend. It was advertised as a 1750 shilling. Over 6? 

20171003_120019~2.jpg

Thanks Rob. I use Tony Claytons price guide for advice which is handy. He only had a 1750/6 shilling listed. I did wonder why they would only change the last digit right enough. One for the collection at £26. I seen an Edinburgh capital cities £1 sell for that this morning. Whats the world coming to??? ?

There are at least 4 varieties of 1750 shilling.

• Like 1

Hi Rob.

Would you happen to have a 2017 coin price guide for sale which would include these overdates?

25 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Hi Rob.

Would you happen to have a 2017 coin price guide for sale which would include these overdates?

Spink list three, but they are all within a few quid of each other. I don't think that any are particularly rare over the others from experience. Fine is 40-45, VF 135-150, EF 700-750 in CoE 2017. I would treat them all as equal.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2017 at 0:38 PM, declan03 said:

Zookeeper. ..with that grammar on the 3d, i could have minted it in a past life. ???

Sorry I cannot fathom what I was doing when I wrote that. I blame the meds. lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bagerap said:

This link doesn't go to a specific item, it's a whole page of completely bonkers Buy it Now prices. It must be a portal into a whole world of fantasy numismatics.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Tokens/58534?Period=19th%2520Century&rt=nc&_dcat=58534&_sop=3

It's actually 2450 results featuring a good few of my own tokens :P

Worth remembering they are ebay prices and a seller can only go down in price not up ;)

Probably a few of mine in there too John, but the first few were bloody hilarious.

Not exactly Ebay and whilst I think charities do a lot of good work. It concerns me somewhat when I see this. Is there anywhere we can be safe from this kind of misrepresentation. I call it that because with the vast amount of information available it takes seconds to check fact from fiction. I did politely suggest that the coin in question if you ask the 1.5 billion siblings of the coin would they deem it rare :). Oh and to put straight the fact NEW PENNY is on all 1p coins until the change to ONE PENNY in 1982.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/stamps-and-coins/coins-and-banknotes/rare-1971-one-new-penny-hd_101017567