British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Hm. Bizarre. He could have refrained from corroding the surfaces and sold it for a tenner, yet chose to damage it, reducing the value to zero. Odd choice.

I usually use Tony Claytons price guide for coins and find him quite reliable. ..and free off course. Is he totally off the mark with the value of this 1845 Queen Victoria penny or is it the description people are bidding on? ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORIAN-YOUNG-HEAD-COPPER-PENNY-COIN-DATED-1845/122714575820?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Yes its a scarce date ..........It is ebay and nothing suprises me with some prices for Rang.

• Like 1

If storage space ever becomes a problem for this forum, we could always have an 'eBay - Spot On' thread. Shouldn't see too much traffic.

Same coin, with arguably dubious credentials of uniqueness, has now been on e bay offer since about 2011. Is this a record?

link here 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Same coin, with arguably dubious credentials of uniqueness, has now been on e bay offer since about 2011. Is this a record?

link here 

You've been watching it for 6 years? :o

4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

You've been watching it for 6 years? :o

Not watching it Jon, just flashes in front of my radar every time I scour e bay Victorian pennies.  

• Like 1

I remember a couple of years ago purchasing them for £20 and thinking that was expensive. I,m always tempted to buy them in quantity as they on average increase in price by about £3 a month. But i,m scared the bottom falls out the bottom of the market for them and i,m left with £6.50. Surely they cannot sustain this price increase indefinitely. 

The correct way to handle coins. Metal tongs. In case you catch something from it. Link

s-l500.jpg

There is some room to improve in the photography department. Perhaps it's intentional, to lure collectors assuming he does not know s*** about coins and there is opportunity for a bargain... but references to 'VG' and Spink catalogue in his descriptions suggest to me that he knows very well what he's doing.

s-l500 (2).jpgs-l500 (3).jpg

Edited by Leo
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, declan03 said:

I remember a couple of years ago purchasing them for £20 and thinking that was expensive. I,m always tempted to buy them in quantity as they on average increase in price by about £3 a month. But i,m scared the bottom falls out the bottom of the market for them and i,m left with £6.50. Surely they cannot sustain this price increase indefinitely. 

It might be time to sell my example I got in change a few years back and buy something a little more in keeping with my collection :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, argentumandcoins said:

I love it that the close-up image of the 'round' beads exists only because of the verd obscuring the rest of the teeth! ?

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162695896234

These are coming from museum reproductions in Runcorn.  Seen two of these sell earlier in the year as genuine. I got a further third one pulled. One went for £250. Reported it. Please follow suit , this will likely sell for over £200 if we can't get it pulled. 

http://www.museumreproductions.co.uk/shop/viewitem.php?productid=466

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

Here is a 1723 crown which i purchased today. A fine reverse but not so goodobverse. A bit suspicious though as i was the only bidder and i think it sold too cheap. Couldn't find any replicas of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milled-coin-1723-Crown-Extremely-Rare-not-hammered-silver/172886824233?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Here is a 1723 crown which i purchased today. A fine reverse but not so goodobverse. A bit suspicious though as i was the only bidder and i think it sold too cheap. Couldn't find any replicas of it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milled-coin-1723-Crown-Extremely-Rare-not-hammered-silver/172886824233?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3A

Looks fine mate. The obverse may have put people off it. Alot of collector's of milled coins want them perfect. Look at this , unsold because of the mark above the head. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1663-Charles-II-Shilling/322785002302

• Like 2

The mark above the head is an attempted piercing. That will put people off given the number available in undamaged condition.

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart. 

Sorry I wasn't being funny and it wasn't meant as an insult. I can see it is a rare coin. I wasn't aware of how much they go for. 

Lol no offence taken Stuart. Your advice is always appreciated. ?

• Like 1