British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

On 17 September 2017 at 10:17 PM, 1949threepence said:

Yippee! This means I've got enough of these (that I collected on my paper round as a kid) to buy a new house!

• Like 1

Got a response from the seller and after a brief exchange of messages I was thanked for "educating" them about reproduction Lizzie coins with this mark, and also an undertaking that the listing will be edited to reflect the fact that it is not genuine. Don't know whether that has happened yet.

• Like 2

When we report items on eBay there are several options to follow and unfortunately "counterfeit" or "fake" is not offered as an option to select.

I don't know what the rest of you do, but I select: "Listing Practices" as the report category then for my reason for report I select: "Fraudulent Listing Activities". I then select: "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent" as the detailed reason but this then has a qualifying statement which reads: The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorisation. You didn't bid." This doesn't make entire sense to me (the "you didn't bid" bit, that is) but presumably this is an example of the sort of thing eBay defines as fraudulent listing.

So this report when submitted doesn't entirely suit the reporting of fakes. Do the rest of you do it like me or do you use other options?

It would be good if eBay could be pursuaded to add options to their report form that are more specific to fakes and counterfeits.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Yes thats the options i use Frank.

I use:

Report item> 

Report category>  Prohibited and restricted items  

Reason for report>  Stamps, currency and coins  

Detailed reason>  Replica coins, replica paper money, and replica stamps

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

I use:

Report item> 

Report category>  Prohibited and restricted items  

Reason for report>  Stamps, currency and coins  

Detailed reason>  Replica coins, replica paper money, and replica stamps

Michael - Thanks for that - I am now enlightened and shall follow your methodology from now on.

Frank

If we all sing from the same hymn sheet we might get some results!

• Like 1

I used to do it that way frank until i started using the method micks described. I've had more success the way micks described it.  Its more specific and to the point. 

Little concerned now its got bids on it they may not pull it. He has edited the description but once someones bidding on it they are unlikely to go back and read that. Really it should be in the title so technically its still in breach of eBays code on replicas. They should still act and pull it. 

Edited by Ukstu

7 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

I used to do it that way frank until i started using the method micks described. I've had more success the way micks described it.  Its more specific and to the point. 

Little concerned now its got bids on it they may not pull it. He has edited the description but once someones bidding on it they are unlikely to go back and read that. Really it should be in the title so technically its still in breach of eBays code on replicas. They should still act and pull it. 

Instead of pulling it the seller has added a comment that it might be fake. No consolation for those that have already bid.

24 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

Instead of pulling it the seller has added a comment that it might be fake. No consolation for those that have already bid.

They could retract their bids. Its whether they go back over the description and realise. Doubtful. 

Edited by Ukstu

What a strange description!! Reported it too. ?

• Like 1

Me too!

• Like 1

And me. I've sent a message to the seller too as this one may be a genuine case of not knowing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

And me. I've sent a message to the seller too as this one may be a genuine case of not knowing.

Could be. He seems to know its details & spink number. 

Seems to have done the trick guys....its gone..ended ?

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Mmm, true, I hadn't considered that. I'll let you know if I receive a reply.

Just now, Ukstu said:

Could be. He seems to know its details & spink number. 

Just got a message back from him - he's Portuguese but his English is gobbledygook (better than my Portuguese though). I think he might be genuinely unaware it's a fake.

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 1

He's pulled it. ?

He said, quote: "do not be false I'm portuguese with english family if you want promenor of the product contact thank you for the moment not to be at home" - What that means is anyone's guess!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

He said, quote: "do not be false I'm portuguese with english family if you want promenor of the product contact thank you for the moment not to be at home" - What that means is anyone's guess!

? Lol. I thought when i saw the description perhaps it was a foreigner. Definitely pigeon engrish.  Well at least he's understood what you've all said to him. Nice job again. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Looks a bargain now at £2 or best offer. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, declan03 said:

Looks a bargain now at £2 or best offer. ?

Lol. I guess we will be seeing it again after all! Someone will buy it and relist it as genuine no doubt. Oh well we tried?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Might translate to "It's not a fake. I'm a Portuguese [staying] with an English family. Please contact me If you want provenance of the product [coin]. Thank you. However, I am not at home at the moment."

Anyone selling a fake which once belonged to his "grandfather" probably know what he is doing.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Sword said:

Might translate to "It's not a fake. I'm a Portuguese [staying] with an English family. Please contact me If you want provenance of the product [coin]. Thank you. However, I am not at home at the moment."

Anyone selling a fake which once belonged to his "grandfather" probably know what he is doing.

Sword, I reckon that's probably a fair translation. Your skills in deciphering that deserve praise!

Perhaps pretending to be a poor English speaker is also a good guise for peddling fakes.

• Like 2

He eventually pulled it for a 2nd time. Not sure why. Perhaps he's planning on relisting it in the future as genuine. He copied and pasted the title from another similiar genuine coin that was listed on ebay. I shall keep my out for it resurfacing again. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322761216842

The real listing he filched his title from 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R054-Henry-VIII-Hammered-Silver-Groat-posthumous-issue-under-Edward-VI-S-2404/201528050660

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1