British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

As Rob says the company manufacturing them is not setting out to deceive. That little stamp or a symbol signifying its a replica has to be placed on it by law. 

I am trying to find out which company it is that makes them so i can get access to their stock catalogue. That should help us identify all of these replicas in the future. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

As Rob says the company manufacturing them is not setting out to deceive. That little stamp or a symbol signifying its a replica has to be placed on it by law. 

I am trying to find out which company it is that makes them so i can get access to their stock catalogue. That should help us identify all of these replicas in the future. 

That's an excellent idea Stu.

• Like 2

I think it may have ran until the allotted end time Stu (20:16 last night). I received one of those ebay last call reminders two hours before but decided not to bid after all :D.

If it is listed for a third time we all could continue to report it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

I think it may have ran until the allotted end time Stu (20:16 last night). I received one of those ebay last call reminders two hours before but decided not to bid after all :D.

If it is listed for a third time we all could continue to report it. 

Really? Unbelievable that. You'd of thought they would pull it the amount of reports they must of had. 

I didn't get round to ringing pennywise. If it appears again i will. 

Did anybody email the guy telling him it was a copy? 

Love the work you guys are doing here, been quietly reporting most of the items along with you ^_^

I believe this is a very good fake, from the offset it looks alright but I have seen the seller sell the same exact coin 4 times now.

anyone able to confirm or deny my suspicions?

LINK

2 hours ago, rpeddie said:

Love the work you guys are doing here, been quietly reporting most of the items along with you ^_^

I believe this is a very good fake, from the offset it looks alright but I have seen the seller sell the same exact coin 4 times now.

LINK

On first inspection it does look ok (I'm no expert though).It me be that he is bidding it up till he gets a high enough price ,and hasn't reached it yet .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rpeddie said:

LINK

I saw that when it was first listed. My thoughts  where exactly the same. Its pristine. I've never seen a coin of that age looking so untouched by time. Its definitely suspect. Something is not right about it. Gut instinct is screaming no! 

Edited by Ukstu

5 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

I saw that when it was first listed. My thoughts  where exactly the same. Its pristine. I've never seen a coin of that age looking so untouched by time. Its definitely suspect. 

I agree entirely - It's far too perfect.

• Like 1

I am rather suspicious with it as the seller couldn't give a decent description. It's a Scotland Charles I 30 shillings, Falconer's issue. Instead it's described as a "17 century Great Britain half crown". Besides he has got three feedbacks from people complaining about fakes / possible fakes. 

I think the price of £390 is high even if the coin is genuine. This Falconer's issue was milled rather than hammered and so do generally show more details. 

• Like 1

Is there a link mate?

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I am rather suspicious with it as the seller couldn't give a decent description. It's a Scotland Charles I 30 shillings, Falconer's issue. Instead it's described as a "17 century Great Britain half crown". Besides he has got three feedbacks from people complaining about fakes / possible fakes. 

I think the price of £390 is high even if the coin is genuine. This Falconer's issue was milled rather than hammered and so do generally show more details. 

21 hours ago, terrysoldpennies said:

I really have to 'bite my online lip' when I see outrageous prices like this - and the pillock who's selling it purports to be a coin merchant - more like a con merchant!

• Like 2

I'd forgotten about that sword. Yeah its a milled coin so condition is better. I've a couple of high Q Briots myself. 

I still think its fishy though , can't put my finger on it though. I think I've seen the seller with fakes before and thats why i initially thought it was a fake. Totally agree about the price as well, its high.

Generally people selling fakes on eBay continue to do so repeatedly, least thats what I've observed. I wonder if it could be an electotype. Be worth adding him as a fav seller and monitoring what he's selling. Another identical one may appear. 

• Like 1

I missed out on this 1890 Queen Victoria double florin earlier.  Can anyone tell me what the signature is above the J E B which i haven't noticed before?

Thanks. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1890-Queen-Victoria-Double-Florin/222639149325?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 10:17 PM, 1949threepence said:

I saw hundreds of these at the flea fair yesterday........could of made a fortune!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, will1976 said:

Reported!

And me.

• Like 1

Just now, jelida said:

And me.

Sadly I feel it's just a drop in the ocean. Still if we don't try.....

• Like 1

?Done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Reported as well. I also messaged the seller and got the cliché'd response that they know nothing about coins and that this one was found in an old box, etc., etc., yawn, yawn. They also asked about the heart mark that I'd previously alluded to in my first message, so we wait and see if it is pulled.

• Like 1