British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Does anyone know where i can get information on the fake gothic florin years that are in circulation please? 

Thank you. 

1 hour ago, declan03 said:

Does anyone know where i can get information on the fake gothic florin years that are in circulation please? 

Thank you. 

Only one I can think of (that isn't obvious to spot as fake) is the 1864 die number 64.

• Like 1

Thanks Nick.

17 hours ago, mick1271 said:

That is certainly one of the fakes, although there are many that are better quality than that one.  They all have the tell-tale cud on the serif of the N of TENTH on the reverse and the same digs in the field in front of Victoria's face on the obverse.

• Like 1

Not so much a "worst offering", but certainly something I see a lot of on e bay, and it really grinds my gears. Sellers photographing the coins whilst holding them in their hands, with the potential resultant transfer of oils etc from the hands onto the coin.

I'd have expected better from this seller especially as it's otherwise quite a nice coin.

s-l64.jpg

It is a nice coin but way out of my price range. I know you shouldn't put an uncirculated coin with lustre on your hand, its not the 1st time i,ve received a really nice coin with a thumb print. I,ve recently taken to taking pictures like this, to catch the right light and colour of the coin, but not with coins with lustre. Maybe thats his thinking.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Not so much a "worst offering", but certainly something I see a lot of on e bay, and it really grinds my gears. Sellers photographing the coins whilst holding them in their hands, with the potential resultant transfer of oils etc from the hands onto the coin.

I'd have expected better from this seller especially as it's otherwise quite a nice coin.

s-l64.jpg

Since that offering's from torcoins it's probably not even his own photo. I know what you mean though, especially with the proofs. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, declan03 said:

It is a nice coin but way out of my price range. I know you shouldn't put an uncirculated coin with lustre on your hand, its not the 1st time i,ve received a really nice coin with a thumb print. I,ve recently taken to taking pictures like this, to catch the right light and colour of the coin, but not with coins with lustre. Maybe thats his thinking.

Although in fairness I'd strongly speculate that the vast majority of high grade coins inherited any fingerprints they have, from a time shortly after they were minted and briefly in circulation - ordinary handling by people who were simply using them as money, as opposed to the items of value we now treat them as.     

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Since that offering's from torcoins it's probably not even his own photo. I know what you mean though, especially with the proofs. :rolleyes:

Indeed. I'd forgotten that photography is not his strong point ;)

I just had to message him and let him know. He said he was new to all this and how do i know its a fake? I explained the loveheart in the reverse quarter where the number 15 is  a dead giveaway.  He just messaged me back saying he will  contact the original seller and withdraw the item from sale. 

Fed up of reporting those. 3 I've reported in last two days. Well done for ending that one above. 

Here is another if you'd like to try your luck with ending it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263116385189

Edited by Ukstu

Haha Stu!! Would you believe this was the 1st copy i inadvertently purchased last year, but luckily managed to return!! I, haven't seem them doing the rounds recently.Seems to be an upsurge in them.

There does indeed. I keep seeing them pop up in my feed. I've never bought an Elizabeth I sixpence before as it was the first hammered i ever found detecting so I've hung on to it for sentimental reasons. 

Edited by Ukstu

Cool!! So you do the metal detecting as well then? Never found anything interesting here in the far north of the Scottish Highlands except decimal money which the English must have accidentally dropped on holiday ? Did find my one and only hammered coin near Fort William two months ago. It was a 1598 Queen Elizabeth shilling, but in a bad state.

I did abit in the past. Nothing recently though , my permissions gone.  Shame about your shilling. I suppose the further you get from London the more beat up a hammered must be if it was minted at the tower. Your shilling must of passed through alot of hands before it entered the ground. My sixpence was wedged between some cobbles that where buried about 9 inches down, seemed to have preserved it well. Old cobble road i presume it was.

20161021_140029.jpg

20161021_140117.jpg

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 6:32 PM, hibernianscribe said:

he has relisted saying that he has been told by another ebayer that it is a repro .Might have been an honest mistake after all.

• Like 1

Very nice find Stuart and much better quality tham the one i found. I think the one i found came from further afield than London by the nick of it....maybe Hong Kong!! I,m not going to embarrass myself  by putting on a picture though!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Seeing on average two or three coming up each day now which isn't a bad thing as people will be getting wary now. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-Silver-COIN-1562-Elizabeth-1st-SIXPENCE/302402867730

I sent the seller a message and he has replied, thanking me for the info and he says he will withdraw the sale.

1 hour ago, mick1271 said:

His description:

'coin exactly as it is in the picture - willing to take offers'

Clearly, he knows it is a replica but has avoided saying so. Replica isn't mentioned in the listing either but 'SILVER coin' is. I suppose the daft bugger who has bid £28 could legitimately return it being 'not as described' when he sees it isn't silver after all.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mick1271 said:

I reported that one a few days ago. Thanks hibernianscribe for getting rid of that one. I used to email sellers myself but got threatened so i just report them now. 

If i spot anymore I'll post them up. Seems to be alot lately of this type , last month it was the Henry VIII groats.

6 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

His description:

'coin exactly as it is in the picture - willing to take offers'

Clearly, he knows its a replica but has avoided saying so. Replica isn't mentioned in the listing but 'SILVER coin' is. I suppose the daft bugger who has bid £28 could legitimately return it being 'not as described' when he sees it isn't silver after all.

The only way to deal with it (hopefully) without making a 2.2 billion bid, he's also not accepting questions on the item, wonder why not :o Clearly using his wording as the binding contract

Screenshot 2017-08-03 13.41.12.png

• Like 2