British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

9 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Copy cartwheel twopence listed as prooflike and currently at about £75 he must of got bored selling dozens for £15.

Not on as he definitely knows its a copy.

Contacted seller and told him we thought it unethical not to make (daft) bidders aware of this. With three hours to go the listing has been amended and the words 'superb copy' have been added. Very shoddy behaviour.

Edited by Michael-Roo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Contacted seller and told him we thought it unethical not to make (daft) bidders aware of this. With three hours to go the listing has been amended and the words 'superb copy' have been added. Very shoddy behaviour.

Just thought i would have a look and all the listing exactly the same although still the same price seller garyph and hopefully wont go for any more.

As the seller has made a good few quid selling hundreds of copies (even his own website) i thought it out of order to list one as normal only needs one person to put a high bid in and then easy to shill.

unknown in such high grade he states and probably has a box full left........:(.

You're absolutely right, the giveaway is the price but also the bust is also too well defined - I've never seen one that well sculpted before!

I sent the seller a private message asking him why his price is more than ten times lower than a genuine coin in VF condition and the guy responded saying,

"Unfortunately I cannot guarantee at 100% that the coin is authentic or silver-plated or it's only a copy. The expertise wasn't made, because its cost is significantly more than the cost of the coins. I buy this English coin here on eBay with a view to resale.... Best regards"

His English is a bit jumbled but I get the gist of his predictable excuse, so I've sent a message back telling him that the wording of his eBay description is such that he IS guaranteeing the coin is genuine and have told him he should do the honourable thing - I await his response.

It's been ended.

I've just received an apologetic response from the seller to my last message saying that he/she was new to selling on eBay and that he/she would withdraw the sale. He/she valued my feedback!

^ The seller was a she

5 hours ago, bagerap said:

^ The seller was a she

Of course, the name ends in 'a'. Thanks for pointing that out.

Mind you, in this day and age of online trickery and misrepresentation, there is every chance that this is a pseudonym. Indeed, the whole concept of the use of a 'username' invites people to use pseudonyms. So we can't be one hundred percent sure it's a woman!

Edited by hibernianscribe

So, whether a 'he' or a 'she', the seller has demonstrated they have a conscience, so full marks to them!

it may be of interest to mention that I did, in my second message, say that this issue was being discussed in this forum, so maybe this demonstrates how much 'authority' online-chat (in whatever form) commands in the minds of today's young people. 

Edited by hibernianscribe
better english

Craig there are lots listed everyweek :( just like the fake Kew Gardens.

Glad i don't collect circulating modern currency. Looks like a minefield! 

Check his/her feedback and look at all those fakes that people are posting positive feedback against :o

Caveat emptor!!

On 7/10/2017 at 0:57 AM, bagerap said:

Don't know - is the vendor mixing it up with "impaired proof"?

5 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Check his/her feedback and look at all those fakes that people are posting positive feedback against :o

Caveat emptor!!

yeah dont i know it lol 

Act quickly Stu, make an offer as near to the BIN price as you can manage and hope for the best, you don't want to see it slip away!

• Like 1

No E on breast, so not the commonest type, but a bit OTT on the starting price!

• Like 1

Also terrible condition for such a hefty price tag.  

This ones just plain wrong. Another one of those wonderful "metal detecting finds" 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162589701240