British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

? ha ha. He's in need of a pair of poundland reading glasses me thinks. 

It appears he is a collector who loves his coins. That's good. I can supply him a huge number of coins up to extra fine. :ph34r: Saves throwing them in the scrap pile. :)

Thinking out loud, I wonder how big a part the references only giving a price down to fine influences the uneducated masses' grading. As this is usually the lowest grade indicated, it is a not unreasonable assumption on their part to assume this is where the grading scale starts. Just a thought.

Could be. Good point, and something I'd not considered.

Ten bids and counting. I've informed the seller and given him a link to the Ebay WRL info page written by Lawrence Chard. Let's see….

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COIN-HENRY-V111-GROAT-MM-ESCALLOP-/253011401441?hash=item3ae8a79ae1:g:Ae4AAOSwyWZZT48B

Edited by Michael-Roo

I reckon the WRL signifies Worth Remarkably Little.  Mind you, given it's a Henry VIII, that mark could be contemporary :ph34r:

It appears most of the recent fakes are coming from Manchester...what's with that! :o

10 minutes ago, RLC35 said:

It appears most of the recent fakes are coming from Manchester...what's with that! :o

Shares the same address as Lukazs in the post above. :ph34r: Entirely coincidental of course.

1863 over 7.... at least say 2 :/

Rob and Pete Manc mafia no doubt.;)

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Oh dear. So obviously a fake as well.  

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Oh dear. So obviously a fake as well.  

really,  what tells you its fake ?   just interested, there what 3 k in unc ? 

3 hours ago, craigy said:

really,  what tells you its fake ?   just interested, there what 3 k in unc ? 

Almost everything about it is subtly wrong, find some good on-line images of a genuine article and compare. As with your previous experiences, the key is knowing your field, but what really stands out glaringly to me is the engraving of the bodice, just so stylized and WRONG. 

It does also help to know that you can buy other dates struck from the same dies in China on Alibaba.com, and a lot of 1869 are appearing on Ebay , usually complete with a bunch of lies regarding provenance.

Jerry

it has the look of being fake, but you can't tell why. I have the same thing with the Geo V modfied effigy.. if i pick up a coin with that head I know it is one... (and usually 1927 :() but if I pick up an 1926 I spend a good while checking.. even though i can tell at a glance the 2 heads.. it just looks similar but with small changes and triggers.

5 hours ago, jelida said:

Almost everything about it is subtly wrong, find some good on-line images of a genuine article and compare. As with your previous experiences, the key is knowing your field, but what really stands out glaringly to me is the engraving of the bodice, just so stylized and WRONG. 

It does also help to know that you can buy other dates struck from the same dies in China on Alibaba.com, and a lot of 1869 are appearing on Ebay , usually complete with a bunch of lies regarding provenance.

Jerry

That absolutely hits you in the eye. It's way too bold compared to the genuine article. But quite apart from that, the entire coin just looks wrong.

Also the H in the date looks too perfect. The real ones just aren't that sharp.

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scott said:

it has the look of being fake, but you can't tell why. I have the same thing with the Geo V modfied effigy.. if i pick up a coin with that head I know it is one... (and usually 1927 :() but if I pick up an 1926 I spend a good while checking.. even though i can tell at a glance the 2 heads.. it just looks similar but with small changes and triggers.

any chance of a picture of the 2 side by side to compare of this modified bust ? been trying to find examples but aint got a clue what i'm lookig nat 

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

That absolutely hits you in the eye. It's way too bold compared to the genuine article. But quite apart from that, the entire coin just looks wrong.

Also the H in the date looks too perfect. The real ones just aren't that sharp.

it must have been quite obvious to the people who know about these as it went unsold,  wort £1 and the postage as a little curio type thing, 

• Like 1

any chance of a picture of the 2 side by side to compare of this modified bust ? been trying to find examples but aint got a clue what i'm lookig nat

1869 fake obv - Copy.jpg1875H F85 obv - Copy.JPG

Quite different if you're familiar with pennies of this vintage.

• Like 1

Copy cartwheel twopence listed as prooflike and currently at about £75 he must of got bored selling dozens for £15.

Not on as he definitely knows its a copy.

Edited by PWA 1967

A thrower.:)

On 05/07/2017 at 4:27 AM, scott said:

just a coincidence or do you see something wrong with the 1926 ME that lukaz sold a while back? bit  confused if you are talking about the coin he sold as it was graded :)

no no, just saying, in regards to the 1875 H fake, I can see it is fake right away, but looking at it the differences are minor so still have to check.. hence the comparison to the ME, I can see it if I had the coin Obverse side, or in a pile, but if I was handed a 1926 reverse side, I would still have to check, especially where the key marker is worn.

ahh ok makes sense now :) it is one of the rather harder ones to spot and you need a good set of eyes on you to the reverse difference