British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

42 minutes ago, HistoricCoinage said:

Pointed out the WRL stamped into this coin and hinted it might be a modern replica...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cromwellian-Coin-/122499880839?hash=item1c858fd787:g:nXgAAOSwSypZAG~N

Got called 'sunshine' and then told 'Carnt see this being a copy it was passed down from my grandad to my mother and now my mother has passed away I am selling her collection" :rolleyes:

Were the photos clearer then? I can't make out anything...

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Were the photos clearer then? I can't make out anything...

No. But this has the soapy appearance and what looks to be three letters at the same location as these usual suspects:

cYFRgevg.jpg

Well spotted. :) I despair of any seller who thinks that photos that bad will persuade people to part with several hundred pounds. :rolleyes:

Thats a well known WRL. My daughter has it with the triangle siege piece in the same folder. The Wrl stamps at the 3 oclock position on hers the same place it is on that roughly.

If you look down below the irish harp shield at about the 6 oclock position in that ebay one you can see the stamp plus as clive said its too soapy & shiny. 

Edited by Ukstu

I have those WRL's as well, surprised no one has tried to flog off the gold ones...

On 5/16/2017 at 10:41 PM, Ukstu said:

I pointed out the other day to a seller trying to start an auction at £49.99 for a Elizabeth I shilling that it was a replica and marked WRL. 

His response was "Oh yeah so it is thanks for telling me"

That was at 10am. Anyway it was still listed at 4pm as being a heavy silver Elizabethian 1500s coin so i msged him back telling him to change the listing or pull it as I'd told him it was a replica and he'd acknowledged it was.

Got no response so i msged him again telling him i was going to post his item on the coin forums i use with a screengrab of my dialogue with him showing people that he was a crook trying to sell a replica coin as a genuine one to unsuspecting members of the public. 

10 minutes later it was listed as a WRL coin although he still expects bidding to start at £49.99. 

From now on i am taking this approach with people as reporting it to Ebay does bugger all. 

Great idea. I get so brassed off with blatant dishonesty. 

As you say, e bay seem unwilling to get involved.  

• Like 1

This WRL shilling has been reported via CCF. Let's see what happens.

• Like 1

Getting cheesed off with the Andorra rubbish. Its getting more dangerous by the day. Check this out and the other lots. Its now supposedly norman coins.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262993176344

And the Cromwell has been reported and removed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

And the Cromwell has been reported and removed.

Are they the only ones with any influence? :o

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

Seems so.

It does. Ebay won't do anything. I report stuff as and when i find it but one man i am. I do it because i realise i was once naive myself when i started out. I got stiffed with a few bits of low value junk myself in the day. 

It wasn't pleasant.  Don't like thinking about other people experiencing that feeling. 

Looks like CCF has a membership of around 45k. Maybe 70-75% North American, so let's say +/- 33k U S collectors using that site, and there's rarely less than 1500 active users at any one minute of the day. I think that ebay would not wish to p**s off any organisation representing that many American collectors, particularly when those guys always ensure that they get their facts straight before complaining.

I'm just happy that they are not as insular as other US groups and will fight to protect collectors interests worldwide.

• Like 1

Hopefully they can look into whose behind the Andorra Scams. 

There using multiple accounts claiming to have numerous US numistimatics memberships & are claiming there based in the US though items are reported to be dispatched from Spain. 

The fake Norman rubbish there trying to flog looks like its been bashed about and put on a buffer to give the false impression of circulation wear , which is a slight change on there anglo saxon rubbish they have flogged in the past. The weights on the coins are way over so thats a dead giveaway but its all part of the illusion. 

It gives inexperienced  buyers a false sense of professionalism if there not savvy about real coin weights. 

Edited by Ukstu

I'm fairly positive that it's wrong. I had one offered to me in February, in hand it felt "greasy", certainly not like silver and when I switched the scales on he suddenly decided that he really didn't want to sell it.

I think this seller also offers reproduction (fake) Victoria half crowns on Ebay.

Poor quality fake.  Even eBay should be able to spot that one!

34 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Antique and Furniture Ltd suggests a legit business. The description suggests they are at the start of a steep learning curve when it comes to coins and don't have a book of instructions on the use of an apostrophe. That they have four large warehouses (insert apostrophe if you want) is probably necessary due to similarly overpriced stock they can't shift. £400 for a pair of disfigured cupro-nickel coins and small piece of silver sheet is just silly, even if it was 130 years old.

Don't take returns? What about the distance selling rules?

Edited by Rob

Rob, you're missing the point I think. Did you not see that "The pot clips open and shut with a very satisfying pop!"?

Surely that's worth £400 on its own? :)

19 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Rob, you're missing the point I think. Did you not see that "The pot clips open and shut with a very satisfying pop!"?

Surely that's worth £400 on its own? :)

Only in Wimbledon.

6 minutes ago, Rob said:

Only in Wimbledon.

LOL :)