British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Seriously though, how can anybody write such (scuse my French) effing crap as this, and imagine it won't be spotted:-

Also this coin unlike others I have viewed of its kind does NOT display any minting mark / stamp .

Usually on the George one penny coin there is a mint mark of either "H" or "KN" which is usually situated on the reverse of the George one penny just to the left of the date underneath the royal Britannia portrait .

As you can see I have zoomed in on the date section of the coin to show a little bit clearer the fact this coin has no mint marking .

Beggars belief. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Seriously though, how can anybody write such (scuse my French) effing crap as this, and imagine it won't be spotted:-

Beggars belief. 

He does come from Rotherham :huh:

On 12/26/2016 at 7:43 PM, Rob said:

He does come from Rotherham :huh:

Are they a bit thick in Rotherham? :ph34r: 

31 minutes ago, Sword said:

'Detail of edge lettering and orientation to obverse side suggest that this is an early circulated proof specimen and priced accordingly.
Any questions please ask.
Thanks'

If anyone is logged in they could ask where this valuable information can be found. The response will be interesting, though, as Sword has mentioned, he may be quoting yestodtom. :unsure:

He has now added the following:

" I hope gathering data from a variety of different sources and putting it down here may help shed some light on these most interesting coins. 

The regular 1935 Crown, struck for circulation, has mintage of 715,000 pieces and was produced in .500 silver with edge lettering that is incused (sunken into) the edge surface. Normal edge lettering reads DECUS ET TUTAMEN ANNO REGNI XXV but errors exist, more on this later. Some examples of the circulation Crown, presumably early strikes, can have a somewhat prooflike quality to their surfaces. The edge lettering on circulation coins was applied in a seperate operation from striking and was done without regard to whether the obverse or reverse side of the coin was facing up. Only Proof and Specimen coins, where the edge lettering was applied at the time of striking, are oriented so that when the edge lettering is rightside up the obverse side of the coin will also be facing up.

Proof issues of the 1935 Crown were also struck. One of these being the Raised Edge Letter Proof with 2500 examples struck in Sterling silver and issued in red boxes. "

Basically, he just quoted a paragraph from the article: http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/The-1935-George-V-Crown-types-and-varieties-/10000000009549585/g.html without acknowledging it. (It is a nicely written article by the way).

He has totally misunderstood the article thinking that if the edge lettering is right way up, then it must be a proof / specimen. Obviously he didn't understand that the article is saying half of the 715,000 currency coins also have edge letters right way up. He doesn't appear to know that there is a difference between proof and specimen for this coin type and so uses the term "proof specimen".

Ebay - the source of all knowledge and pricing. :(

What the hell has happened with the date here?

Finely tooled I would suggest.Colin Cooke mentions that the H on the 1/4d was often tooled to look like a 1875 small date farthing.

This coin has appeared periodically on Ebay for at least a couple of years, there have been much better photos in the past and the 1 and 5 appear very weakly struck. It was relisted several times at diminishing prices and finally sold to the current vendor for a couple of hundred or therabouts. He has subsequently listed it as if flawless, but then pricing and photos never were his strong points.  It is a shame as the coin is otherwise genuinely nice, and high grade.  

Jerry

9 hours ago, jelida said:

This coin has appeared periodically on Ebay for at least a couple of years, there have been much better photos in the past and the 1 and 5 appear very weakly struck. It was relisted several times at diminishing prices and finally sold to the current vendor for a couple of hundred or therabouts. He has subsequently listed it as if flawless, but then pricing and photos never were his strong points.  It is a shame as the coin is otherwise genuinely nice, and high grade.  

Jerry

Strange why he takes a picture of his computer and hand, the 1860/59 shows absolutely nothing of the overdate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-1869-Penny-Really-Nice-Very-Fine-Reverse-Ext-Fin-/252700677914?hash=item3ad622571a:g:hAsAAOSwLs5XJ7Lm

Edited by azda

49 minutes ago, azda said:

Strange why he takes a picture of his computer and hand, the 1860/59 shows absolutely nothing of the overdate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victoria-1869-Penny-Really-Nice-Very-Fine-Reverse-Ext-Fin-/252700677914?hash=item3ad622571a:g:hAsAAOSwLs5XJ7Lm

Photography clearly isn't his strong point. The 1860/59 is, essentially, a blurred image.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1860-59-Penny-The-One-Most-Collectors-Are-Missing-Ext-Rare-Beautiful-Coin-/262782510032?hash=item3d2f0ee3d0:g:mPcAAOSw2xRYUppq 

Edited by 1949threepence

28 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Not ebay, but Etsy this time.

The vendor, on Coin Community Forum, is asking for confirmation of type and price:

:lol:Possibly should have asked before listing it.

I always did find American gradings confusing, but now I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

So, let's see: ah yes, got it, their 'Choice Uncirculated' is our 'Fine'. :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

I always did find American gradings confusing, but now I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it.

So, let's see: ah yes, got it, their 'Choice Uncirculated' is our 'Fine'. :lol::lol::lol:

When I see grading like this I automatically discount every other auction they have. Not good business practice, surely? :rolleyes:

If you read his CCF thread he bought it from a local dealer. 

On Etsy, it is 

"Acquired from a tightly held private collection"

2 hours ago, bagerap said:

Not ebay, but Etsy this time.

The vendor, on Coin Community Forum, is asking for confirmation of type and price:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/488276578/1888-victoria-jubilee-bust-type-wide

Possibly should have asked before listing it.

I think he may regret putting it up there as well, even the Americans think his UNC grade is crazy. Just noticed that this was my 10,000th post, how times flies. I an now a legend in my own underwear, time to slip on my cape with the BIG S on it (and slippers)

Edited by azda
  • Like 1

I see the vendor has now involved himself in a spat with other members on Coin Community Forum over their assessment of his 1888 crown. They're all wrong, he's right. Oh, and he's now upgraded his opinion of this 'beautifully lustred, liquid silver (????)' stunner to FDC!!!!! What a knob.

I really can't be bothered with these idiot sellers.My other peeve is the sellers of early copper that think they have something special by listing various  slight differences. If they bought Peck they might have a bit more nous. I reckon if I lined up my 20 or so 1720 1/4ds each one will likely be slightly different...However you can never have enough decent Cu above Fine.:rolleyes:

another dangerous modern fake, :) 1933 penny 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, davidrj said:

another dangerous modern fake, :) 1933 penny 

I laughed so much harder than I should have at that.

That arm though :lol: