British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

You are quite correct. Twas I whom he refused to sell it to. Since I was the only bidder up to £900 or so, I'd be surprised if he gets anywhere near £2k. For that money I can get any number of very decent coins.

He could probably help himself by believing what he says. If a much better example than one which sold for £2K through LCA, then surely doing this should realise a higher price still? Added to that, by going through an auction house he would bypass much of the suspicion associated with eBay, whereby you assume that someone is trying to rip you off. Particularly appropriate given his historical baggage. Furthermore, the statement that it can only go up in price when inflation is somewhere close to zero should mean a hold if he believes what he says.

Or perhaps it's just all b*****ks.

Edited by Rob

After David had been messed around i got intouch with the seller .

I told him i would collect the coin and pay cash and we agreed a price 

He explained he would be in touch on his return from holiday.

A week or so later he got in touch to say he had sold it for £1,500.00............So yes its b*****ks :rolleyes:

The seller is one of those pain-in-the-arse people who just jump from excuse to problem, always better to steer well clear from people like this.

I raised a question with this seller last year, He had listed a 1860 Copper halfpenny, from his own collection acquired over a good number of years, I cant remember the full facts but the 1960s was mentioned

The coin was a forgery, a Chinese copy that had appeared recently, and I was looking out for, he was unapologetic in his response to my message and continued with the auction, I reported the coin to Ebay and it was subsequently removed from sale

The coin could only have been bought a few months at most from the date listed, so it is without doubt he knew it was a fake and tried to pass it of as genuine

3 minutes ago, Chingford said:

I raised a question with this seller last year, He had listed a 1860 Copper halfpenny, from his own collection acquired over a good number of years, I cant remember the full facts but the 1960s was mentioned

The coin was a forgery, a Chinese copy that had appeared recently, and I was looking out for, he was unapologetic in his response to my message and continued with the auction, I reported the coin to Ebay and it was subsequently removed from sale

The coin could only have been bought a few months at most from the date listed, so it is without doubt he knew it was a fake and tried to pass it of as genuine

Well spotted and removed John. This seller also has a habit of listing slabbed CGS coins that have been rejected, however without noting the rejection and cutting the top of the slab off in the picture so you cannot see the 'rejected' note. The only giveaway is being able to see a small part of the sticker, which on rejected slabs are yellow I believe.

15 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

After David had been messed around i got intouch with the seller .

I told him i would collect the coin and pay cash and we agreed a price 

He explained he would be in touch on his return from holiday.

A week or so later he got in touch to say he had sold it for £1,500.00............So yes its b*****ks :rolleyes:

He told me he was going away as well. This was at the time he was messing me about. 'Goes away' a lot doesn't he - irony alert!

There's a fortune to be made by adding random "dots" to pennies......................

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

There's a fortune to be made by adding random "dots" to pennies......................

If it wasn't good enough for Freeman, it's not good enough for me ;) 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If it wasn't good enough for Freeman, it's not good enough for me ;) 

Well, he did catalogue the 1897 dot as F147 :P (and probably regrets it)

18 hours ago, secret santa said:

Well, he did catalogue the 1897 dot as F147 :P (and probably regrets it)

He did indeed, although it's a "see below" footnote referencing die damage and hasn't been assigned a rarity. Not in the 1985 edition, anyway. Yes, I bet he does regret it :ph34r:  

16 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Don't worry, Pete, it's well accepted as a rare variety now.

Although i know its not one on your site ,have you got any idea how many are about in high grade please.

The one i bought is in a cgs slab 80 (good lustre) and spent ages looking but not many in high grade apart fom the Bamford / alderley one which is the same coin ?.

I haven't really kept records on this variety other than unc specimens of which the Bamford/Alderley, Workman and mine (ex-Colin Adams) are the only ones I've seen.

20 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Oh dear.... i recently bought a high grade one <_<

They're still in very high demand, Pete. You've not wasted your money.  

On 19/11/2016 at 4:47 PM, 1949threepence said:

They're still in very high demand, Pete. You've not wasted your money.  

Definitely agree and also think you paid a very good price too.

Yes, but he is offering free postage.

I've wanted to buy that one since of 6 months ago.

36 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

I've wanted to buy that one since of 6 months ago.

Okay, fair enough. You have this one and the next one is mine.:blink:

48 minutes ago, IanB said:

Yes, but he is offering free postage.

For that price, I'd expect it delivered in person by helicopter, and even then it would be too expensive.

This http://www.ebay.com/itm/1736-Farting-Copper-Coin-1-2-Penny-Georgivis-II-/152340634376?hash=item2378359b08:g:7v0AAOSwNRdX-o4A  poor coin induced a bout of juvenile chuckling this morning......I know just how it must feel! But seriously, could it herald a significant new coin storage issue? Air-tight cabinets might be the answer.

Jerry

• Like 1