British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Research on the web suggests that his name is Benjamin Stocks, there is a Jane Saxby at the same address, perhaps his partner.   

I am amazed that the police or inland revenue or both have not shut him down. With his feedback, and the average sale value of his fakes, he must have made tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds selling dubious stock as genuine over the years.

How can he be stopped? 

Jerry

There was someone actively working on building a legal case but I never heard any more of it. Trading Standards is one avenue and I know there was an episode of 'Fake Britain' for BBC being produced which featured him, as a few of us were asked by the production company about Mr Stocks but I don't think it ever aired.

31 minutes ago, jelida said:

How can he be stopped? 

Jerry

Doesn't someone on this forum have links to ebay? :huh: I'm sure I remember someone saying that they would have an auction taken down or words to that effect. Can't quite remember who, and they may have just been referring to reporting an auction listing.

29 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Doesn't someone on this forum have links to ebay? :huh: I'm sure I remember someone saying that they would have an auction taken down or words to that effect. Can't quite remember who, and they may have just been referring to reporting an auction listing.

In a former life, yes. 

In the meantime I'm going to do some research here: https://www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I tried getting in through the back door using a contact when investcoins were operating, but the fraud dept at ebay just said we don't deal with the public, only the police. No willing helpers there then. It's a money thing. As long as the dodgy dealers keep feeding eBay's finances, their position is secure.

Which is pretty much why they shut down the counterfeits committee.

By hook and crook I found an oblivious buyer of a fake and informed him.

Next day ebay threatened to close my account.

Yes, because informed buyers are dangerous. And by ebay's definitions, informers must be banned.

eBay are making money and are too big to care about one seller selling fakes, or as they will see it "alleged fakes", similarly I think the police would firstly need a complaint from a victim, but again it will be too complex to get tied up in are they fakes or not and did he know they were fakes or not. HMRC might be interested if he has not paid his tax but again if he does, they are not going to be interested either. A sad state of affairs. 

Surely he's selling far too many fakes and has far too much feedback to be ignorant in the fact that he's actually dealing in fakes instead of being oblivious to buying/sourcing them himself which in turn would be a crime knowingly selling these as genuine....

In Germany you can't plead ignorant, you must be informed as to whether you're committing a crime or not, such as selling a fake handbag as genuine such as Hermes, it doesn't matter whether you bought as genuine, if it's fake then you cannot resell as genuine....

As someone in a previous post pointed out, eBay don't care about what he's selling and how often he's reported, as long as they get their money that's what matters to them

This guy must really need a quick £15 :D 

1 hour ago, Nordle11 said:

This guy must really need a quick £15 :D 

That link takes me to the start of the thread?

That's because I'm a twat. Doh.

Whats wrong with it Matt worth £15 even if its a punt and doesnt turn up :)

Worth a punt, but not from this punter :P 

38 minutes ago, Nordle11 said:

Worth a punt, but not from this punter :P 

There's something familier about that picture. I think it has been lifted from somewhere.

4 minutes ago, Gary1000 said:

There's something familier about that picture. I think it has been lifted from somewhere.

Think Matt will know :)

17 minutes ago, Gary1000 said:

Yeah it's from Tony C's site (coins-of-the-uk). Someone bought it already anyway :P 

5 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Is that a wrong 'un then?

He's used an image and description from CNG for a coin which sold for $23,100 in 2011.

The seller states: 

the auction will not let me list a reserve but I will not be selling the coin for £3500 as this figure is way to low.

pictures of the actual coin can be sent upon request

I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

A picture of the actual coin would be of interest. See how close to the nearest millennium he is, then we can worry about the century. 3/1 its a wrl Elizabeth I?

• Like 1

I've asked for one and will report back with results.