British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

5 hours ago, alfnail said:

Wasn't sure which topic to put this in but just wanted to point out that despite being NGC slabbed this ebay piece is NOT an 1897 High Sea Level, so please do not be tempted / mis-lead by the authoritative labelling, would be an awful lot of money anyway even if it was:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1897-Great-Britain-Penny-High-Sea-Level-NGC-MS-64-Red-Brown-/162088884604?hash=item25bd40197c:g:lZwAAOSwIjNXJp~w

I have advised the seller so hopefully he will now either remove or add some additional comments

And check out those import charges on top, bloody hell, $418 on top, that global shipping scheme must have put off a lot of european buyers from buying from eBay sellers who have entered into this agreement :ph34r:

2 genuine F148 1897 High tides in very similar grades finished today on Ebay

This one was unsold at £59.99, whilst another went for just £6.05 after 5 bids, interesting that this very scarce variety invokes such little interest

Edited by davidrj

2 hours ago, davidrj said:

2 genuine F148 1897 High tides in very similar grades finished today on Ebay

This one was unsold at £59.99, whilst another went for just £6.05 after 5 bids, interesting that this very scarce variety invokes such little interest

Here is another one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1897-Queen-Victoria-Penny-Rare-Freeman-F148-variety-SNo05310/331582245975?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36823%26meid%3Dd21a9c824aa

Think they're just a little too worn to pique anyone's interest.

5 hours ago, Nordle11 said:

Think they're just a little too worn to pique anyone's interest.

I'd agree with that, people seem to be going for higher grades these days leaving the field open for Scott to mop up :P

• Like 2

6 hours ago, azda said:

I'd agree with that, people seem to be going for higher grades these days leaving the field open for Scott to mop up :P

not at those prices... I already got the 1897 high tide anyway.

5 hours ago, Chapps30 said:

According to CCGB this little beauty is listed at £10 for Fine, I may be new to this but the Obverse looks poor to me!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QUEEN-VICTORIA-VERY-OLD-COIN-OF-QUARTER-FARTHING-1852-/301973834159?hash=item464f0b09af:g:cFgAAOSwuhhXUWRY

You can't tell due to the low res pic, but from what is clear on the reverse I would be amazed if the obverse isn't somewhere close to the rev and certainly better than fine.

Tony Clayton gives it at £35 in Fine, but looking at the clearly depicted grain of the work surface and having spent a few hours photographing fractionals yesterday, I'd not fancy it at more than Good near Fine.

I always wonder how exited eBay sellers get when their views per hour sky rockets, not realizing it is because someone has "pointed and laughed" at them on here :P

7 hours ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

I always wonder how exited eBay sellers get when their views per hour sky rockets, not realizing it is because someone has "pointed and laughed" at them on here :P

LOL good one :)

Haha :D almost as bad as the enameled '1933' and the excellent description that it comes with

5 hours ago, Rob said:

Offer him a counter-valuation of a million quid - but only if he throws in the 1967 half crown as per the description for free ;)

Give me one of whatever he is drinking! :D

2 hours ago, RLC35 said:

Give me one of whatever he is drinking! :D

His valuation of £1700 is only £50 away from what the last 1948 proof made when it sold in 2015. Coincidence? I don't think so.

• Like 2

Thinking out loud, a search of the internet for prices realised in the case of 1948 pennies will only throw up proofs, and the frequency would suggest extreme rarity. You will never see a bog standard 1948 priced as a lot - except on ebay

Edited by Rob

Here is another offering from this rather notorious seller, apparently graded by NGC, though the coin photos dont suggest that it is in the slab. It is however interesting that these particular photos are so poor and out of focus, wheras those of the rest of his sales are really rather good, crisp and well lit. Is he trying to hide something? Well, its certainly not high tide as described.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322148343756?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jerry

Yes he certainly knows his pennies and will definitely know that it's not a high tide. He's relying on the slab description here, which is coincidentally in focus in the photos..

Based on my experience of him over the 1882 no H penny, he's one to avoid like the plague.

I wonder if he goes to the Midland given his location as I'd love to have a chat with him? However, he might not attend because he won't be able to source his stock there.

Ever since he started in 2004(?) he has systematically peddled forgeries and genuine coins conveniently misdescribed as being types worth 10x their real value.FYI, if the king's name is missing from the legend or flat on a medieval English coin, then the item will be described as either a Henry IV or Richard III.

I suspect his feedback would make a good reference of all the coins and artefacts you need to avoid. ;)