British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

10 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I was chatting with @Paulus the other day about there being a dedicated fakes post in the members only section where we post a photo of the fake and the reasons for it being deemed so in a single post. Each post would then be a new/known fake. Then we could have an associated thread for discussion of the these fakes. I know there are numerous posts about fakes already but you have to scroll through 20 comments to find the pictures of the next fake and the associated discussion.

The reason for two threads would be to keep the first thread clear of numoerous comments and for it to just be a gallery of known fakes and what to look out for in order to spot them. Maybe number the photos/posts in the picture thread to allow easier discussion in the other thread? I don't know but for a newbie like me, with no fakes in hand, it would be a useful tool.

@Nordle11@Chris Perkins is this something worth doing?

Yes, that's fine by me. Perhaps show and tell and then the topic closed to further comments even?

30 minutes ago, Chris Perkins said:

Yes, that's fine by me. Perhaps show and tell and then the topic closed to further comments even?

How do you want it? Because if the topic gets closed to comments no-one can post new fakes that they find. Or are you talking about a sub-section just for fakes where new threads are added about a fake coin then closed straight away?

I would imagine just have a thread specifically for fakes something like:

Brief description: 1905 Half Crown

Picture:

56e695a3f3cb4_1905fake.thumb.JPG.6593961

Info about fake e.g. where you saw it, do you own one, how can you tell its a fake, distinguishing features, if it was on ebay did it sell etc.

Saw it on: Ebay, it sold for £225.00

Distinguishing features: It is a bloody awful copy that looks nothing like the real thing! (obviously more detail in a real post etc)

Leave the thread open so people can post pics and info, one coin/info per post and any post not specifically listing a new fake that get made are just deleted so that the thread is purely pictures with information in every post. I don't know what tools you guys have behind the scenes but I can imagine as long as people know the thread is purely for a picture reference and that there is another associated thread for discussion where they can link pics from the 'picture thread' for want of a better description if they actively want to discuss certain features.

You can't link to specific pictures within a thread, you can only link to a page where the picture is for people to find, but I imagine that won't be all that difficult to do. Probably the best way to keep it pictures only is to start the thread with the first post as an example post, then add the link in there to refer to the other thread where you can discuss the fakes.

Try out a format, get some opinions, we can always edit it afterwards to change it to whatever works best.

12 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Are people out of their minds?

I think the short answer is yes. That's staggering for something that (a) doesn't look close to the real thing and (b) is described as a possible (i.e. obvious) replica.

I'd vote for the dedicated fakes thread too. I have absolutely no doubt that many would fool me. Not this one though. :rolleyes:

Nice 1843 fake......

56e6fe4889f31_1843forgerylowresobv.thumb

Edited by secret santa
correction

53 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Nice 1843 fake......

56e6fe4889f31_1843forgerylowresobv.thumb

Is that a forged coin, or just a changed date? The date appears to really stand out a having been "adjusted" ! :o

A changed date I guess because a genuine 1843 has a 3 with a straight top, not a rounded top.

On 3/1/2016 at 10:57 PM, mrbadexample said:

How do you know Rob? I don't dispute what you're saying, but what makes you say that? It's just that I'm starting to get a bit paranoid and think that everything I buy has been cleaned. :(

" One Farthing 1835 William IV unc "

What do you think unc stands for? certainly not un-circuleted!

7 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

It's a thread standard - well you've certainly been screwed if you believe it.

Sorry, I'll get my coat.

20 minutes ago, Nutsaboutcoins said:

I think it's uncollectable. :D

• Like 1

It's a 1927 box. Note the single shilling space.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

It's a 1927 box. Note the single shilling space.

Good spot. :)

14 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Good spot. :)

And only the scottish shilling

Great to have you on form tonight Peter! :D 

Not to mention 'edge knocks' below the title, and 'no edge knocks' in the description. I agree with Peter.

And furthermore: " ONE OUNCE OF COPPER WORTH 2 PENCE "

Scales broken? :rolleyes:

On 5/10/2016 at 2:32 PM, Gary1000 said:

Someone here is having a giraffe. It looks like a set from circulation put in a specimen box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1937-GEORGE-VI-SPECIMEN-SET-CROWN-TO-THREEPENCE-6-COIN-SET-/182126031686?hash=item2a678eb346:g:LBMAAOSwGYVXCj~g

I asked the question. Response: " Hi
Not entirely sure myself whether this is a made up set or an original issue
Sorry cant be more helpful
Kind regards "