British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

How do you know Rob? I don't dispute what you're saying, but what makes you say that? It's just that I'm starting to get a bit paranoid and think that everything I buy has been cleaned. :(

D'oh. I've just read the description.  "Obverse has been cleaned". Kind of gives it away. :lol:

It looks too bright. If you leave silver in the open air for 150 years it will tarnish. Depending on the atmosphere it can be any colour as far as jet black. Circulated coins will pick up contact marks, but also dirt, which will get lodged in the incuse parts. If you don't believe me, take a sharp knife and use it to scrape your finger. all that stuff will get deposited on coins with use. Surfaces don't get more shiny with time unless they are cleaned.

An awful lot has been cleaned on ebay. It's the easiest way to dispose of problem coins.

Refreshing to find an eBay seller who states that their item has been cleaned and points out digs, very often they hope the buyer will not notice (and they often don't)

Edited by Paulus

That's going to end in tears. I thought someone said you were only covered up to a limit which is lower for new sellers.

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

That's going to end in tears. I thought someone said you were only covered up to a limit which is lower for new sellers.

I didn't know about that, if it's true. I'm still staggered that people would bid so much from a 0 feedback seller.

13 minutes ago, Rob said:

The coverage for ebayers with less than 50 feedback rating is $250.00 (minus the $25.00 deductable). Something you should consider when accepting bids from low feedback bidders!

Oh, the other way round then. Sorry. eBay and its working don't figure too high on my list of useful info.

Well it did not meet the reserve with an end price of £2751.11 so someone had a lucky escape. They have, however, relisted it: item number 121913651673.

7 hours ago, Nonmortuus said:

Well it did not meet the reserve with an end price of £2751.11 so someone had a lucky escape. They have, however, relisted it: item number 121913651673.

What are the pointers on this one, apart from the low feedback.

7 hours ago, Gary1000 said:

What are the pointers on this one, apart from the low feedback.

Just a 0 feedback seller with a 3-4k coin. The relisted auction has been ended now - maybe offered to the highest bidder even though the reserve wasn't met?

And the fact that these are widely copied, no weight or provenance was offered, and less than 1000 were genuinely minted ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Silver-Hand-Hammered-Coins-And-1-Copper-Coin-/252310205812?hash=item3abedc3574:g:2iEAAOSwoudW2ygj

Surprise, surprise, another Pontefract beseiged!  Nice of him to weigh all the silver together, and the jetton on its own.  Looking at his feedback, he sold another Pontefract in a job lot last year. 

Somebody will waste money on it.

Jerry

Copied from a worn one so they had to guess the missing letters? :D

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Copied from a worn one so they had to guess the missing letters? :D

It's not even close to being a decent copy.... god knows who is bidding on it!

51 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

It's not even close to being a decent copy.... god knows who is bidding on it!

You mean the EENSF is not a rare variety....quick I need to retract my bids!! :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin G. said:

You mean the EENSF is not a rare variety....quick I need to retract my bids!! :lol:

I've never seen one before. Have you? :P

• Like 1

Correct, toothed both sides. Sometimes the wear from circulation or die wear makes the teeth appear like beads but worn beads are still clearly beads all the way round the border. 

I didn't think it was me. That's a very expensive low grade farthing then. :blink:

Checked out the poor replica 1905 halfcrown on Ebay which went for over GBP 200. Are people out of their minds? I've seen plenty of these on Ebay before that have been passed in at GBP 9.99 which was the listing price. If anyone can't spot this listing as a fake perhaps they should take up another hobby.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-1905-Half-Crown-Coin-/161995770377?hash=item25b7b34a09:g:j0kAAOSwDuJW2Dcm

I was chatting with @Paulus the other day about there being a dedicated fakes post in the members only section where we post a photo of the fake and the reasons for it being deemed so in a single post. Each post would then be a new/known fake. Then we could have an associated thread for discussion of the these fakes. I know there are numerous posts about fakes already but you have to scroll through 20 comments to find the pictures of the next fake and the associated discussion.

The reason for two threads would be to keep the first thread clear of numoerous comments and for it to just be a gallery of known fakes and what to look out for in order to spot them. Maybe number the photos/posts in the picture thread to allow easier discussion in the other thread? I don't know but for a newbie like me, with no fakes in hand, it would be a useful tool.

@Nordle11@Chris Perkins is this something worth doing?