British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Seeing is believing, but perhaps not in this case....

Threepence auction

Up for sale once again (or still) -- at a new lower price...

a second chance

He must have some real gems. It is only 1mm thick instead of the normal 2mm. Perhaps someone should email him and point out that even his 2mm coin(s) are rare - so get it/them listed NOW!. Sadly, all my 3d's are 2.75mm thick. :(

take a look at this on sale on ebay

and i thought i was new to this

the listing is 1885

the description 1889

the coin looks to be 1886

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1885-Victoria-gold-f...bayphotohosting

the listing is 1885

the description 1889

The coins looks to be dated 1885.

is this the same coin ????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...52BSI%26otn%3D4

No, this looks to be dated 1880.

the listing is 1885

the description 1889

the listing is 1885

the description 1889

The coins looks to be dated 1885.

is this the same coin ????

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...52BSI%26otn%3D4

No, this looks to be dated 1880.

And the first one is dated 1885. One is Melbourne, the other Sydney. The letters below the bust are clear. Both obverses are similarly not very good though, so I had to do a double take on them to be sure.

An Early "George" III Crown

Link

:lol:

It certainly is an "Early" George III Crown!

:lol:

It certainly is an "Early" George III Crown!

I have to say I feel a tad sorry for the guy. Other pointers seem to indicate that he has some idea of what he's doing - just lost the plot at the crucial moment.

Can I have some of what this guy is on :o

How much!!!!!

Firstly I don't believe a PR65 is a VIP issue and if so I'd better put my PR67 back in it's slab, must be worth some serious bucks.

Edited by Gary D

How much!!!!!

Firstly I don't believe a PR65 is a VIP issue and if so I'd better put my PR67 back in it's slab, must be worth some serious bucks.

Gary,

This is a subject I brought up many years ago, when the Royal Mint ran a forum, but then closed it never to reopen when some idiot started posting all sorts of rubbish on it. I have a 1937 proof set, the coins of which I understand to be standard proofs i.e. polished finish all over and not cameoed (not sure if this is a word!). The crown in my set is exactly like this one, i.e. it has frosted devices, as has the Scottish shilling, unlike all the other coins. I tried getting an explanation for this, but opinion on the forum was divided over whether mine was a VIP proof or whether it was a fact that the early proofs were cameo and as the dies wore, the effect was gradually being lost. I don't personally buy this latter explanation but have never been able to figure why my set has a combination of two styles, unless, of course, it was a re-constituted one. However, this would still imply that the mint was producing both standard and cameo coins at the same time.

Anybody got any ideas?

DaveG38

How much!!!!!

Gary,

This is a subject I brought up many years ago, when the Royal Mint ran a forum, but then closed it never to reopen when some idiot started posting all sorts of rubbish on it. I have a 1937 proof set, the coins of which I understand to be standard proofs i.e. polished finish all over and not cameoed (not sure if this is a word!). The crown in my set is exactly like this one, i.e. it has frosted devices, as has the Scottish shilling, unlike all the other coins. I tried getting an explanation for this, but opinion on the forum was divided over whether mine was a VIP proof or whether it was a fact that the early proofs were cameo and as the dies wore, the effect was gradually being lost. I don't personally buy this latter explanation but have never been able to figure why my set has a combination of two styles, unless, of course, it was a re-constituted one. However, this would still imply that the mint was producing both standard and cameo coins at the same time.

Anybody got any ideas?

DaveG38

A moot point. I am inclined to buy the frosted = early theory in general. VIP proofs can come in both frosted and unfrosted styles, so this feature is not specific to VIP proofs, nor is it an obligatory feature. I would suspect that for a year when there was a large issue of sets for the general public, a VIP set would be accompanied by a different box or some other notable feature. Human nature being what it is, VIPs tend to appeciate being identified and treated as such. Lot 187 in the April sale at DNW was a 1953 set in a roughly square box instead of the normal rectangular one and described as almost certainly a VIP presentation set. In the case of those years where no general issue sets were made, they must by definition be classified as VIP issues. Possibly it was a matter of chance whether the design was frosted or not, though there are notably more unfrosted examples amongst the smaller denominations and these seem to be the later issues.

Colin Cooke has a couple of VIP 1/2 d's for sale at the moment. 1957 and 60 if I remember right.

One is cameo while the other isn't.

How much!!!!!

Gary,

Anybody got any ideas?

DaveG38

Dave,

My proof from a proof set is also frosted but by comparison to my PR67 which I beleive is a VIP, the frosting is not as distinct. Also little details are sharper such as the boarders around the shield. The proof has the occassional ding/roughness where as the VIP is perfect under the glass. The VIP books in Spink 2009 as £800 so I think the guy with the PR65 is being a tad over optimistic.

Gary

wth? rare 2 p new pence 1971... 2 bids lol

link

The 20p seems to have set a trend, 2p are popping up all over. Everone seems to think that the words New Pence was an error, obviously from the 1983 mule.

Yes, I've had lots of contact recently about the 20p and the NEW PENCE 2p's. And as ever, the public have got it all wrong and are trying to sell me normal 2p's with NEW PENCE on them that are not from 1983. Little bit annoying, I may as well make a recording and play it when people phone!

i have a big bucket of new pence 2ps... time to make some money lol