British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

It often amazes me what some people will pay for a very common coin.

Probably the easiest date in the series, this has gone for £33 with a stonking great rim nick at 3 o'clock on the reverse:

link

So you have two happy people - if only it was like that all the time. Some people don't worry about marks, others don't care if a coin has been cleaned, some are paranoid that their coin might have been handled in the past, some are...... you name it, someone will be exercised at the thought. None of us can stand up and categorically state that buying a coin was wrong if the two directly interested parties are happy with the deal.

Probably the easiest date in the series, this has gone for £33 with a stonking great rim nick at 3 o'clock on the reverse:

link

So you have two happy people - if only it was like that all the time. Some people don't worry about marks, others don't care if a coin has been cleaned, some are paranoid that their coin might have been handled in the past, some are...... you name it, someone will be exercised at the thought. None of us can stand up and categorically state that buying a coin was wrong if the two directly interested parties are happy with the deal.

Very true Rob, just surprises me at times!

link

Very true Rob, just surprises me at times!

Me too, but it isn't my money.

TBH ITS A SUPER COIN JUST THAT TINY KNOCK RUINS IT BUT WORTH A £10 NOTE ANY DAY

Yep, a tenner would have been a fair price! As Rob says, different imperfections bother different people, personally I cannot abide rim knocks, or anything that seriously detracts from the beauty of the coin!.

Fine ? I DON'T THINK SO.

…..which only a mother could love…….

..which only a mother could love.

I'd love it too if I could get £75 for it! :D

This nice penny sold for £255 at the London Coin Auction barely a month ago; looks like a purloined picture scam to me......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Penny-1882H-Freeman-115-dies-12-N-UNC-/271924021979?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4fef4adb

Jerry

Given they can't even give a reign, where did they pluck that figure from! Hopeful? Gotta love eBay! :)

Given they can't even give a reign, where did they pluck that figure from! Hopeful? Gotta love eBay! :)

link

Edited by Paulus

I like this, but I think he's got "erotic" and "exotic" confused!!! :rolleyes: (unless someone know any different?) ;)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141699419778?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh, wow...I love that token! You know, I think he actually meant erotic. From the description: "The modified coin has been engraved with some enigmatic floral scrolling with some decidedly erotic figurative shapes."

Dude has a decidedly dirty mind.

Just spent 5 mins studying the images and, having made my mind up it's bad, went on to read the description. C'mon, don't bullshit your way around NOT saying it's a ballsed up coin. There is just no point at all!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906-Penny-Edward-V11-1902-1910-Unusually-Sharp-Strike-Lustrous-British-Milled-/331617104230?hash=item4d35eb7166

Just spent 5 mins studying the images and, having made my mind up it's bad, went on to read the description. C'mon, don't bullshit your way around NOT saying it's a ballsed up coin. There is just no point at all!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1906-Penny-Edward-V11-1902-1910-Unusually-Sharp-Strike-Lustrous-British-Milled-/331617104230?hash=item4d35eb7166

The 1906 Penny was sold by "topcarp"....that is John Jerrums!

The 1906 Penny was sold by "topcarp"....that is John Jerrums!

Now, I have bought from Top carp2 myself (and I confess I didn't look at the seller), but that is a slippery sale if ever I saw one!

SLIPPERY!

However, this is a most unusual example as there is a considerable incidence of reflectivity to both sides of the coin - this is difficult to illustrate on static images - If there were such a coin as an impaired proof issue for this date - WHICH THERE IS NOT - then you could be mistaken into thinking this was one such example - Has the coin perhaps been lightly polished at sometime in the past - Maybe, but it really does not seem to exhibit the expected hair-line scouring that you would expect to observe

Indeed a strange description, but John/Stephen (depending on who answers your message) are good guys and have helped me a lot over the past year or 2.

I've had some great coins from them and they always start bidding low which is nice.

Perhaps he genuinely can see something that the pictures don't show? Nevertheless, they are great on returns and I'm sure would gladly accept it back if the buyer thought it had been cleaned anyway (which I'm pretty sure it is from the photos)

...it had been cleaned anyway (which I'm pretty sure it is from the photos)

I'm pretty sure they too think it's cleaned/polished, but don't want to out and out say that!

Indeed a strange description, but John/Stephen (depending on who answers your message) are good guys and have helped me a lot over the past year or 2.

I've had some great coins from them and they always start bidding low which is nice.

Perhaps he genuinely can see something that the pictures don't show? Nevertheless, they are great on returns and I'm sure would gladly accept it back if the buyer thought it had been cleaned anyway (which I'm pretty sure it is from the photos)

Its the same guy nordle his real name is stephen jerrams but known as john .

For what its worth looks cleaned to me .

• Like 1

Ah, I always wondered.