British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

It might be more to do with who actually owns said coin if it gets graded or not.

It might be more to do with who actually owns said coin if it gets graded or not.

I couldn't possibly comment.

Fair enough, mistaking an extremely worn George III copper for something else may be understandable, but why on earth would someone choose to identify it as the William III Dei Gratia halfpenny?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161682379928?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Fair enough, mistaking an extremely worn George III copper for something else may be understandable, but why on earth would someone choose to identify it as the William III Dei Gratia halfpenny?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161682379928?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Because if you go to Tony Clayton's site, the first copper halfpenny illustrated with a right facing single bust is William III. There are three imaged, the first is in the author's collection and the second courtesy of Spink, but neither has any reference to rarity. The third is the DEI GRATIA, listed as three known and ipso facto is guaranteed to be more appealing to the money grabbing/rip-off merchant mindset.

It has us talking about it for a start. :huh:

Wouldn't have wanted it, it's horrible, just immersing myself in what's going on with Charlie One :)

Ah, just saw this. OK, on the plus side, as I've mentioned before it's a difficult privy mark to find on nicer coins.

Trouble is, despite the crispness of the strike, it's not a very nice coin ...

I'd have guessed it would have sold in the £60 range myself. But then this is eBay we're talking about, so pretty much all sense and predictability goes out the window! Someone obviously rated it ... rather too much IMHO.

But then I suspect I've shown off coins I've bought that you've all been polite enough not to go WTF at! Hammered coinage, .. well, it's perhaps an acquired taste. And what appeals to one may well not appeal to anyone else!

Either that or there's more to this shilling than meets the eye...

:lol:

Edited by TomGoodheart

Wouldn't have wanted it, it's horrible, just immersing myself in what's going on with Charlie One :)

Ah, just saw this. OK, on the plus side, as I've mentioned before it's a difficult privy mark to find on nicer coins.

Trouble is, despite the crispness of the strike, it's not a very nice coin ...

I'd have guessed it would have sold in the £60 range myself. But then this is eBay we're talking about, so pretty much all sense and predictability goes out the window! Someone obviously rated it ... rather too much IMHO.

But then I suspect I've shown off coins I've bought that you've all been polite enough not to go WTF at! Hammered coinage, .. well, it's perhaps an acquired taste. And what appeals to one may well not appeal to anyone else!

Either that or there's more to this shilling than meets the eye...

Rather disturbingly, Saxbys has 1184 followers. Hopefully the majority of these are people looking to see what the next misattributed item will be, but I fear not.

Because if you go to Tony Clayton's site, the first copper halfpenny illustrated with a right facing single bust is William III. There are three imaged, the first is in the author's collection and the second courtesy of Spink, but neither has any reference to rarity. The third is the DEI GRATIA, listed as three known and ipso facto is guaranteed to be more appealing to the money grabbing/rip-off merchant mindset.

It has us talking about it for a start. :huh:

I contacted the seller. The description has been changed.

£2.99 opening price? Very optimistic!

It is copper scrap and no more.

Lives in Germany but does'nt post to Germany.

How on earth does someone think this is reasonable............?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1866-Victoria-Penny-/221755018337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a1a10c61

Jerry

Probably been told 'old pennies' are rare and has plucked a figure out of the air.

Hilarious.

Very honest. Says it belongs to the right person. Correct. If the grandfather looks after it for a few more years, no collector will have to suffer ownership.

• Like 1

How on earth does someone think this is reasonable............?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1866-Victoria-Penny-/221755018337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a1a10c61

Jerry

Probably been told 'old pennies' are rare and has plucked a figure out of the air.

Hilarious.

Very honest. Says it belongs to the right person. Correct. If the grandfather looks after it for a few more years, no collector will have to suffer ownership.

And I've been seething over this one for several days, but now its finished I can't spoil anybodies anticipation. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN 3 ! This is the same seller who has given us a selection of mis-identified rarities over the last couple of months,and made good money; we have already discussed his 1860 mule penny, for example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331533723405?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any collector aware of the variety should really check in Gouby before wasting his money, the variety identifiers are clearly described, and not present in this coin.

And I didn't wish to draw attention to the type until an auction had completed on one that I think might be (at less than £3, a reasonable gamble, will update if correct).

Jerry

And I've been seething over this one for several days, but now its finished I can't spoil anybodies anticipation. THIS IS NOT AN OPEN 3 ! This is the same seller who has given us a selection of mis-identified rarities over the last couple of months,and made good money; we have already discussed his 1860 mule penny, for example.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331533723405?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Any collector aware of the variety should really check in Gouby before wasting his money, the variety identifiers are clearly described, and not present in this coin.

And I didn't wish to draw attention to the type until an auction had completed on one that I think might be (at less than £3, a reasonable gamble, will update if correct).

Jerry

Yes i noticed this last week but not an open 3. Its one i have not got and you will be lucky to have found one for £3 there must be plenty of people looking everyday as quite easy to spot.

Hope it is though would be the buy of the year.

Made in the UK as a propaganda piece and a copy of the German item designed by Karl Goetz.

The spelling of the month as May rather than Mai is a dead giveaway.

A tenner at most at auction and that's with a good case and the leaflet that went with it.

I have never seen one of those as low as a tenner.

Average ebay is:

Cased £22 German, £17 Brit

Uncased £18 German, £15 Brit

I only posted it because I liked the incongruity of a ship sinking in good condition

Edited by bagerap

231553133627 :lol: it's certainly one way of explaining away the replica marks! :rolleyes:

Nice piece of pewter.

I'm off to bed with Kelly Brooke and miss Minogue....wake me up in October

Very optimistic price, but as usual, the best on ebay. Give it a clean, its your coin