British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Wow! Already £25 and £18 with postage! Why? How?

A long time ago I did overpay (£28) for a 'Montreal' copy of a Pontefract shilling because I wanted an example .. these however .. no idea!

Edited by TomGoodheart

A long time ago I did overpay (£28) for a 'Montreal' copy of a Pontefract shilling because I wanted an example .. these however .. no idea!

Why pay £25 for a Cromwell shilling copy when you can get the real thing in decent grade for £2500? :huh: Resale value of the copy will be about a quid. Resale value of the £2500 coin will be about ........... £2500. In fact you would probably lose more money in total on the copy than the real thing, despite the price difference. Bizarre.

The 1853 1/2 crown is over 47 quid now....

A screenshot as I suspect it'll be changed soon.

2eusmk0.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant. What's disconcerting is how any of the images could ever be confused with coins. A single image, ok, but to add 5 wrong images beggars belief.

From the "cheadle hoard" apparently

From viewing the other listing deacriptions it has a tinge of a certain Mr Platt in it, or is it just my imigination?

Edited by azda

From viewing the other listing deacriptions it has a tinge of a certain Mr Platt in it, or is it just my imigination?

The irony is that, as I scrolled down the listing, the first ad I saw was for a similar Eddy shilling from Buckscoins at less than half the price and a good grade (or two) higher ...

The irony is that, as I scrolled down the listing, the first ad I saw was for a similar Eddy shilling from Buckscoins at less than half the price and a good grade (or two) higher ...

Ironic indeed! Probably worth 100-150 at best ...

Oh, my goodness, and from a fine seller with prominent feedback too! :rolleyes:

Same seller, £88.88 for a disc

On me aye ohone Scott, can only do item numbers

Clearly these items are worth a fraction of what he is asking, and shilling is out for BINs, what is he hoping do you think?

I think he's hoping for a mug punter Paul, now there's an ebay novelty

You can copy the numbers and paste them directly into eBay's search box, Scott! :)

I don't have a problem with people asking any price for anything on eBay, you see it all the time with antiques, for example - as long as the item is as described and the pics un-photoshopped! I guess the word 'mug' applies to people paying over the top for these items, without doing any due diligence, and not returning them if they are not happy.

However, when it comes to experienced coin sellers, while it doesn't breach any rules, trying to take advantage of human nature lusting after a bargain, without offering a grade or current price guide, is not going to win many friends or loyal customers.

Edited by Paulus

Wow, serious 'rainbow' toning.

How did that even happen?

Free sunglasses if purchased :D

I think that's just a standard stock ticket rather than an attempt at making it look slabbed.

Doesn't look too bad providing you go by the coin not the label...

The labels are certainly out, although the coins themselves do look reasonable at EF grades and not UNCs, best offer options are avaliable