British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Re-post - surely these boxes don't even go for a tenth of that (I haven't checked!)?

Good fine or better with some inverse staining and a few edge knocks. Books at no one gives a shit and is one of only three million viable methods of coin storage.

Only joking... apparently people do give a shit - link.

You could buy a first edition Dickens for that... No words inside just the binding, but you've got to start somewhere right!!?

Yes, certainly not a mule, more of an ass! How can the vendor, being aware of the variety, get it so wrong? I suppose on the positive side, anyone looking to spend £200 in this series would not be caught out...........?

I did note the coin you posted, Prax, but at least yours was in good condition and therefore worthy of collecting as an example o :)f impaired striking at the mint. I must admit that I take Freeman's comment re the weak striking at the teeth (and sometimes the L.C.Wyon below the bust) and the resulting occasional appearance of a section of 'beads' as a warning against the confusion demonstrated by the vendor, rather than a suggestion of varietal merits.

Jerry

Perfect ..... more an ass :)

Yes, certainly not a mule, more of an ass! How can the vendor, being aware of the variety, get it so wrong? I suppose on the positive side, anyone looking to spend £200 in this series would not be caught out...........?

I did note the coin you posted, Prax, but at least yours was in good condition and therefore worthy of collecting as an example o :)f impaired striking at the mint. I must admit that I take Freeman's comment re the weak striking at the teeth (and sometimes the L.C.Wyon below the bust) and the resulting occasional appearance of a section of 'beads' as a warning against the confusion demonstrated by the vendor, rather than a suggestion of varietal merits.

Jerry

Perfect ..... more an ass :)

I see that some-one has put him right, and he has changed his description. Still asking £200 though.

Jerry

Yet another fake trying to be sold off as original even though it has a copy mark on the REV

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/371276681329

Seller probably doesn't know it's a copy given they are selling for charity. Drop her a line.

I thought about that after posting here Rob and did send an email

Price has been changed but not the deacription, still a little umethical knowingly trying to sell it without the wording change

post-5057-0-22288400-1426263479_thumb.jp

Edited by azda

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tudor-coin-1562-/281622793207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item419206cbf7

What about this? For me it looks very suspicious, but people are bidding...

There's only been 3 bidders with 20 bids And One with zero feedback, a helping hand one would think On this copy

I've emailed to tell them of the hugggggggge error in their listing. On another note, sorry Neil but far too expensive plus grade 181687819548

I've emailed to tell them of the hugggggggge error in their listing. On another note, sorry Neil but far too expensive plus grade 181687819548

To be fair, Dave, he's only saying the portrait is GEF. Shame it isn't the big crown though!

Could do with higher resolution images, really.

A lesser mark, but not excessively so, I'd have thought...not that I know anything of value about J1!

What you want Dave is this...a genuine unrecorded obverse on this 1564 3d of Elizabeth! I spoke to Chris Comber and he concurs with my thoughts that this obverse was an unused (we think) die from 1561/62. The rusty die, unclogged bust, and Rose 5 supports this theory.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Unrecorded-Obverse-Elizabeth-I-1564-3d-Threepence-Bust-3F-Reverse-BCW-BA-h-/231504730087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e6c1d7e7

Also a very rare Bust 3F Cross-Crosslet Halfgroat scheduled for the weekend too! :)

And how much would you want for said coin?

To be fair, Dave, he's only saying the portrait is GEF. Shame it isn't the big crown though!

A lesser mark, but not excessively so, I'd have thought...not that I know anything of value about J1!

What you want Dave is this...a genuine unrecorded obverse on this 1564 3d of Elizabeth! I spoke to Chris Comber and he concurs with my thoughts that this obverse was an unused (we think) die from 1561/62. The rusty die, unclogged bust, and Rose 5 supports this theory.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Unrecorded-Obverse-Elizabeth-I-1564-3d-Threepence-Bust-3F-Reverse-BCW-BA-h-/231504730087?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e6c1d7e7

Also a very rare Bust 3F Cross-Crosslet Halfgroat scheduled for the weekend too! :)

We Or certainly i don't buy On portrait alone. The attached Coin was graded as XF. And i don't see The ebay One being half a grade better

post-5057-0-27745300-1426368370_thumb.jp

We Or certainly i don't buy On portrait alone. The attached Coin was graded as XF. And i don't see The ebay One being half a grade better

I agree Dave, but XF sounds like an American grade for EF (is that right?) so might only be GVF in the UK? So difficult to grade hammered I think, I rely on eye appeal so much more.

I prefer it to the CC coin you first posted either way, it has a nice 'balance'

Edited by Paulus

I agree Dave, but XF sounds like an American grade for EF (is that right?) so might only be GVF in the UK? So difficult to grade hammered I think, I rely on eye appeal so much more.

I prefer it to the CC coin you first posted either way, it has a nice 'balance'

You are right Paulus. EF and XF are the same grade in the USA. EF is extremely fine, and XF is extra fine...but they are recognized as the same grade.

Oooh, that's a difficult one, Dave, given we can't see Neil's coin in high res! I think the coronet coin has the more pleasing portrait, myself, though a simpler design, of course!

I still think grading hammered is not for me, there are too many variables involved, and it seldom has any real bearing on value, though insurance companies would demand it I guess?

It's like that Elizabeth I shilling John Newman's got finishing on eBay. It's not a rip-roaring grade or tone, but it's a million times better than a lot of its contemporaries a full grade higher!

What do you reckon on that 3d bust of mine? That's got to be EF? Nearly as-struck possibly?

It would be interesting to know the weight of the J1 shilling, just to calculate how much of the missing legend is clipped?

Big money, all the same!

I tell you what does spoil the coin for me, is the damage/flat spot at the beading in the obverse right field, and the reciprocal area on the reverse.

Be a belter otherwise!

Your unrecorded 3d ... I like it but must be strict and use my budget for milled for now ... are you starting to wonder whether BIN would have been better than auction? No idea how to grade it really, except 'high' :)