British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I had a nice reply from the seller. As it was the only coin he had for sale I think it may have been a genuine mistake. He's deleted the listing.

Finger is hovering over the bid button for this beautyNumber 281596351337

Link added. Never heard of a coin that has been "hot dead in the middle" before.

I think he means 'shot dead in the middle'.

At least he's offering 'collect in person' only, no postage, so the lucky winner will get to tell him face to face what a credit he is to Ebay and the numismatic world.

Jerry

Edited by jelida

Not really sure its Ebays' worst, but certainly a strange one; how much does slabbing cost again............?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1944-Penny-coin-Freeman-229-grading-UK-CGS-Cleaned-F-/301537035640?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4635020578

Jerry

Geezus, some people are so stupid

Quite comical really! Very recently slabbed too ... they are up to about UIN 34210 at the moment.

Funniest thing is, he probably cleaned it himself before getting it slabbed, thinking it might 'improve' it!

It gets worse , I've just looked at his other items, he has seven coins all slabbed within ten serial numbers, none will come near to the cost. Somebody has wasted a lot of money. Shouldnt the grading company have taken pity and simply sent the batch back? It makes a mockery of the whole slabbing system.

Jerry

It gets worse , I've just looked at his other items, he has seven coins all slabbed within ten serial numbers, none will come near to the cost. Somebody has wasted a lot of money. Shouldnt the grading company have taken pity and simply sent the batch back? It makes a mockery of the whole slabbing system.

Jerry

They are simply driven by profit, like many companies ... I don't particularly blame them for taking his money, only a fool would think those coins merited slabbing after 2 minutes of research.

Might do something for their reputation if they did though ...

A fool and his money are soon parted and the sooner the better for this dingbat

Edited by azda

Not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I was thinking along the lines of a half empty pot of swarfega.

Why slab coins worth less than 50p?

CGS recently took a slap from us on the GV 2/6.

Can't they see they are harming themselves by charging £200 to slab 8 coins worth less than a £10 total.

It's just a variation on a theme. None of us has the ability to save people from themselves. If you don't want to see people being ripped off, all you can do is ensure you don't engage in nefarious activities yourself and casually point things out if engaged in an exchange of views. What you can't do is stop CGS making a business out of grading and slabbing. Every business on this planet provides a product or service that customers perceive as being too difficult or time consuming for them to do, or else they have convinced themselves that they need whatever is on offer. All of us rely on others to provide the items or functions that we are not self-sufficient in.

Being charged £200 for something that will return a tenner and feeling a t**t is the best education anyone could get. Less useful would be you to save someone the grief this time round, only for them to make an even greater mistake the next time. Being told something isn't as educational as a kick in the b******s.

I guess its a question of reputation. No art gallery owner would want to fill his gallery with talentless tatt, even if there was money in it, his reputation would suffer. The antique dealer wants top quality as his showcase to draw people in. The slabs are the showcase of these companies, what is in them matters, and not just the accuracy of grading. I appreciate that a profit has to be made , but at what long-term cost?

The reputation of slabbing companies seems low already on this forum.

At least the ridiculous idea of a slabbed coin attracting a premium might take a knock.

Jerry

Our favourite seller/overgrader i's at it again 111602871348 This is apparently GVF so we can see by him Inserting the ebay price guide for VF and EF which Way he intends to be going with it, obviously Looking for a 4 figure sum On this NVF coin

Edited by azda

Our favourite seller/overgrader i's at it again 111602871348 This is apparently GVF so we can see by him Inserting the ebay price guide for VF and EF which Way he intends to be going with it, obviously Looking for a 4 figure some On this NVF coin

"Extremely rare...almost impossible to locate in any grade"

WHAT?

Our favourite seller/overgrader i's at it again 111602871348 This is apparently GVF so we can see by him Inserting the ebay price guide for VF and EF which Way he intends to be going with it, obviously Looking for a 4 figure sum On this NVF coin

Link added.

Our favourite seller/overgrader i's at it again 111602871348 This is apparently GVF so we can see by him Inserting the ebay price guide for VF and EF which Way he intends to be going with it, obviously Looking for a 4 figure some On this NVF coin

WHAT?

They are rare and not easy to obtain, but I think I'd save his description for the 1863 florin.

WHAT?

They are rare and not easy to obtain, but I think I'd save his description for the 1863 florin.

I have to say, that hasn't been my experience! Maybe they've got harder at the same time the gothic crown moved out of reach, I don't know, I'm pretty out of touch at the moment?

I had a PCGS one for sale for ages...nearly gave it away to Japan in the end! Had an obliterated ww that didn't go anywhere fast, either.

I have to say, that hasn't been my experience! Maybe they've got harder at the same time the gothic crown moved out of reach, I don't know, I'm pretty out of touch at the moment?

I had a PCGS one for sale for ages...nearly gave it away to Japan in the end! Had an obliterated ww that didn't go anywhere fast, either.

We are talking at crossed purposes, Stuart. Dave's post references an 1862 florin, which is what I replied about. I agree with you, if we are talking godless 1849 florin.

Edited by Nick

We are talking at crossed purposes, Stuart. Dave's post references an 1862 florin, which is what I replied about. I agree with you, if we are talking godless 1849 florin.

Oooooops, sorry Nick et al. God only knows how I crossed threads with that. I was recently reading the other godless thread, and just jumped to all kinds of fancy conclusions re this one!

I humbly backtrack to my waterway hole! :)

• Like 1

£ 570 for a VF coin must mean a special date

1854, 62, 63 and 68 from memory are all rare dates for florins, the 54 and 63 the rarist and from those 2 is anyones guess as to which is rarer than the other.

Mint error apparently

Edited by azda

Certainly unusual! God knows WHAT that is? I'd be interested to hear some ideas!