British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

How often does one have an opportunity to acquire a professionally and expertly encapsulated 1946 Edward VIII crown?

One of a kind

As far as I know it's their own or very close encapsulated company, so it very far from reality. About all coins from MS-62 to MS-66.

1822 farthing, with Lion side feet ?

Click

He must have seen Wossip's coin

Wossip

"Wossip" - Michael Freeman, should know a lot better. I am very disappointed in the farthings he has recently listed. If you are reading this Michael - WHY?

Teg

This is a "variety" that had me fooled for a while and looks quite obvious by comparison of images. On George IV farthings, the lions paw looks quite weak, until the coin has light cast upon it from a different angle. Suddenly the paw becomes more pronounced and the horizon adjacent to the paw also becomes visible. I thought I had stumbled upon an obvious variety when I first noticed it, only to see that the variety disappeared when I rotated the coin on the scanner!!! :(

I also have to agree with Teg that whilst some farthings, can be very well struck and even give a "proof like" appearance in the fields, it is a bold statement to claim with certainty that the coin in question has been struck from proof dies.

You've obviously heard of the old saying about having more money than sense....well this auction certainly proves that point :o

Link

Am I missing the point here??? This has me beat!

David

Sold for almost £400,for a single £1 coin.It's not exceedingly rare,just a common circulated coin which isn't worth anything...well,a quid,obviously.I can't understand what the attraction was.According to the seller,it was won at his local from a "deal or no deal" fruit machine.Surely you'd have to be half crazy,to spash out that sum of money on a next to worthless coin.Perhaps it's me who is missing the point,here ???.

Clearly the seller has a number of IDs and has bid on it themselves for a laugh. Or, has asked friends to bid it up to that ridiculous level.

It certainly must be something like that (the first couple of bids are possibly genuine),although i don't personally see the point in doing such a thing...since it's not really funny or entertaining in my opinion.

It certainly isn't, and the seller fees for £400 are also more than £1, so no one acheives anything!

A complete waste of space, like the vast majority of coins listed for sale on ebay. That's ebay's downfall and the reason that I don't usually bother looking for coins. Far too much badly graded, ill described utter toot.

A complete waste of space, like the vast majority of coins listed for sale on ebay. That's ebay's downfall and the reason that I don't usually bother looking for coins. Far too much badly graded, ill described utter toot.

I couldn't agree with you more.Having said that,i do admit to buying a few coins off of Ebay ( some good items,do show up from time to time),and although i've mostly been lucky with what i have purchased,there has been the odd occasion,when i've had the wrong coin sent to me (not the actual one pictured within the auction,even with "what you see,is the actual coin that you will recieve" stated.).

First time this happened to me,i got a very generous discount....even though i would've prefered to have had the original coin pictured,since it was in a better grade,i was still more than happy with the outcome,with the saving i had made.

The same situation came about once again,a few weeks later on,and this time,i was told to keep the coin which had been sent,and the correct one arrived a few days later on.

Other things to worry about,include coin pics which have been darkened via a paint program,to hide the fact that it's been cleaned at some past point....and pics which have been sharpened too,to give an appearence of a better grade coin,than it actually is.I could go on and on,the list is almost endless.

BTW,my sincere apologies,for taking this thread off topic.

Damn! I missed it! :(

Yer I missed that one as well, must have been a F164A, a bargain

But what you didn't realise is that the laptop came with the coin. :lol:

But what you didn't realise is that the laptop came with the coin. :lol:

Now if that were true I'd really be miffed! :(

Bloody hell! I sell them like that for £3. And I'd scrub it up FOC if so desired!

I hope that's Shill Bidding. If it isn't there should be a lot of people in need of the forthcoming Rotographic British coin grading guide.

We are looking at a polished GF here.

Yeah, I'll go along with that, the obverse if anything looks even worse.

Chris, non comprong. You'll have to explain Shill Bidding to me. I think as we both know, there are a lot of people in need of the grading guide.

Shill bidding is when you bid on your own things with a 2nd ID or get a friend to bid on your things with no intention of ever buying them in order to inflate the price artificially.

i.e. if those bids up to over £100 are fakes and some plonker comes along, re-assured by the current level and wins it for £103, then the seller suceeds in selling a £3 coin for a heart wrenching price.

Shill bidding is when you bid on your own things with a 2nd ID or get a friend to bid on your things with no intention of ever buying them in order to inflate the price artificially.

i.e. if those bids up to over £100 are fakes and some plonker comes along, re-assured by the current level and wins it for £103, then the seller suceeds in selling a £3 coin for a heart wrenching price.

Actually you're probably right, all the 'buyer' ever seems to have been involved with before was selling secondhand computer games or some such nonsense. I hope no poor innocent got stung.

Actually you're probably right, all the 'buyer' ever seems to have been involved with before was selling secondhand computer games or some such nonsense. I hope no poor innocent got stung.

Both seller and buyer are from Cleethorpes....it looks like a shill.

That's one of the disadvantages of not being able to see the user IDs anymore (due to fraudulent Far Eastern 2nd chance offers). Only ebay can now tell if people are Shill bidding, and of course they probably don't give a hoot because they get their fees regardless, in fact if people bid their own items up unsuccessfully, ebay get even more fees.

Have you seen the notices now that listings in some categories can only be paid for with paypal and nothing else?! Ebay own paypal of course and have long since been doing everything they can to promote paypal as the ONLY and 'preferred' method of payment for ebay items....but I don't suppose that breaks any monopoly rules as online and crossborder laws are usually stuck in the era from which Geordie posseses the most coins!

In a couple of years will paypal be forced as the only payment method on everything I wonder?

I found out that one coin seller has had ALL of his coins shill bid on, and I'm talking near a hundred!!!

I was in lengthy discussions with eBay and soon the eBay seller is banned from auctioning, now all of his coins are BIN or Best Offer! :D

eBay will soon change all payments to PayPal and I wouldn't be surprised if they raise the charges too! But their customer support is much better than it used to be.

Clive.

eBay will soon change all payments to PayPal and I wouldn't be surprised if they raise the charges too! But their customer support is much better than it used to be.

Clive.

What, do they have a phone number?? In the past when I've emailed them I've just received copied chunks from their User Agreement, which is usually useless when you have a specific problem (for example when they banned me for selling my own ebooks!). When a real person responds I have often felt that English wasn't their first language.

Chris,

eBay have a customer support phone number which they have given to their valued cutomers: "You're one of our most valued eBay customers and your satisfaction is very important to us." "(This phone number is only for members who've been invited to participate so please don't give it to others.)"

It's because I've spent a lot recently that they've given me this phone number, I rang up the number, they were based in Ireland, and this woman asked me to spell my username. It took me 7 tries and I eventually hung-up on her...

I bet if I didn't spend so much they'd toss me in the bin of "not-so-valued" customers, they are still money grabbing crooks in my opinion though. :P

Clive.

Edited by HistoricCoinage

Hmmm, I have in the past sold high volumes in the form of coins and I've also even bought the odd car on ebay. They never gave me a phone number! I just get the email morons. Had they given me a phone number I would have no doubt continued to sell higher value items on ebay. I think the lack of support with ebay is the biggest turn off. Even the fees don't bother me compared to the support aspect. Oh and the totalitarian way they rip your listing off in a flash without warning or asking nicely if you can change something.