British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Do you have a spare £850?

Clicky

Decimal point problem I think. £0.85

Teg

Teg, The coin you linked to in your post is being sold by Michael Freeman, so it must have more value than you or I expect! <gggg>.

Bob C.

Thank You Bob, I was just going to make note of that fact, and I see that you beat me too it......

Honestly though, I' not really sure that I see it....... It's a POOR specimen....

I would love to be proved incorrect. Indeed the fact that this almost certain 1672 has a very low 2 is interesting.

Most 1676 (types) are 1675 with a broken 5.

It's not 100% infallible - but after 1672 nearly all CII farthings have the last O of

CAROLO between the hair ribbons. This does not.

Colin Cooke did not believe in a 1676 farthing, the closest chance you could get would be a 1679 with a possible

inverted 9.

Mr Freeman has been proved wrong on new (Victorian) farthing dates before. I don't think that early farthings are

his speciality. So a difference of opinion then!

Teg

Do you have a spare £850?

Clicky

Decimal point problem I think. £0.85

Teg

Teg, The coin you linked to in your post is being sold by Michael Freeman, so it must have more value than you or I expect! <gggg>.

Bob C.

Thank You Bob, I was just going to make note of that fact, and I see that you beat me too it......

Honestly though, I' not really sure that I see it....... It's a POOR specimen....

I would love to be proved incorrect. Indeed the fact that this almost certain 1672 has a very low 2 is interesting.

Most 1676 (types) are 1675 with a broken 5.

It's not 100% infallible - but after 1672 nearly all CII farthings have the last O of

CAROLO between the hair ribbons. This does not.

Colin Cooke did not believe in a 1676 farthing, the closest chance you could get would be a 1679 with a possible

inverted 9.

Mr Freeman has been proved wrong on new (Victorian) farthing dates before. I don't think that early farthings are

his speciality. So a difference of opinion then!

Teg

HI Teg,

Although I do collect farthings, they are not my specialty, but you do make some VERY valid and astute observations, and, as I tend to doubt that this is a 1676, I am inclined to give credence to your assessment of this coin......

Uncirculated? Not to me ... but then, what do I know. Apart from the fact that I wouldn't pay £1595 for it!

Neither would I, especially as it appears to be 1st effigy,not ME, books at £50!

David

I don't think the 1926 shown is a ME. You can tell by the stop after GRA. The stop should almost touch the base of the A, in the ME. The one shown has the stop midway between the A and the B of BRITT, which is a dead giveaway, that it is not a ME.

Bob C.

It's not an ME. The ME has a pupil to the eye, and the colon after BRITT is close, not equidistant like BRITT:OMN

Also, the ME is a much nicer portrait of George v, with better defined hair.

I hope he didn't give too much for it! The worrying thing is, he has already had 1 offer - lets hope

it was for about £20

This IS an ME.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

David

David,

You are correct. The link you show is an ME! ( and a pretty nice one).

Bob C.

It's not an ME. The ME has a pupil to the eye, and the colon after BRITT is close, not equidistant like BRITT:OMN

Also, the ME is a much nicer portrait of George v, with better defined hair.

I hope he didn't give too much for it! The worrying thing is, he has already had 1 offer - lets hope

it was for about £20

This IS an ME.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...bayphotohosting

David

I have never learnt the actual points to prove that a coin is, or is not an ME, but one glance is normally enough; the whole portrait is just much softer and less angular. Unmistakable.

In this case, is it ignorance or artifice?

I have never learnt the actual points to prove that a coin is, or is not an ME, but one glance is normally enough; the whole portrait is just much softer and less angular. Unmistakable.

I agree entirely, all the colons and differences in engravers initials are unneccesary. The ME changed the portrait of George V from a rather unpleasant looking murderer to a genial old buffer. As to the question of artifice or ignorance, perhaps someone respected should email him and point it out. I know it is 'buyer beware' but as collectors seem so confused about this issue it is surely incumbent upon anyone calling himself a dealer to be above reproach.

I suppose anyone with £1595 to spend on an ME is likely to know one when he sees one. However that offer worries me.

David

I sent the 1926 seller a note at his website (unlimitedcoins.co.uk). He has a similar, or the same 1926 listed as an ME there. I hope it helps to keep him from making a mistake in the sale.

Bob C.

I sent the 1926 seller a note at his website (unlimitedcoins.co.uk). He has a similar, or the same 1926 listed as an ME there. I hope it helps to keep him from making a mistake in the sale.

Bob C.

Yes it looks like the same one, there is some discolouration(verdigris?) around IND:IMP on both coins. He has some very expensive coins.On ebay the ME has had 600 views and the coin on sellers own website was listed 11 months ago.

Rather surprising nobody has noticed before.

David

Based on some of the other things on offer and their grades or description I suspect the former.

This was discussed previously in this thread on pages 8-10. Dubious lolights include the 1886 "proof" shilling offered for £2150 - doesn't look like a proof to me. The rims are not those of a proof but he still paid £700 for it on ebay. The seller would not have let a proof shilling go for this price when they are fetching over £2K hammer.There is a "gilt proof twopence" which to me looks like a penny. The trident points to the second N on a 2d and not to the right of the second as in this case. If it is a proof it is a poor example of a Peck 1130, but could equally be a gilded currency piece Peck 1133 given the state of it. The image isn't good enough to positively identify the variety. The grade of FDC is also somewhat inappropriate here. There are others which are equally dodgy, so suggest it is a lack of knowledge coming to the fore.

Edited by Rob

Rob

You are right, it is definitely a penny, check out the 1914 florin with Edward V11 on the obverse!!!!

And there are many others.

Enough said, avoid like the plague.

David

Mammered sixpence? Surely that's a boob? :D

Great picture! Pity it's not what you get! :o

I think he missed an'H' from his handle!(quicksaleitemshmuck) :rolleyes:

1822 farthing, with Lion side feet ?

Click

He must have seen Wossip's coin

Wossip

"Wossip" - Michael Freeman, should know a lot better. I am very disappointed in the farthings he has recently listed. If you are reading this Michael - WHY?

Teg

How often does one have an opportunity to acquire a professionally and expertly encapsulated 1946 Edward VIII crown?

One of a kind