British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

AFAIK the Royal Mint is still accepting orders.

Mine ( a single coin only ordered) arrived about a week ago - looks quite nice with the George and the Dragon design.

Mine ( a single coin only ordered) arrived about a week ago - looks quite nice with the George and the Dragon design.

Im still waiting :(

Only £30 markup on a £20 item - a veritable bargain - not.

I wonder if they would take a George Best Fiver for it?

I can outbid you - a Basil Fawlty tenner :D

"Si"-plus one Siberian Hamster.

Having said that, I'm not in a position to check it properly now, but that 'unique' countermark does have a whiff of back and fore-legs of a sitting greyhound about it? I'd certainly be measuring up the punch height and looking at the E6 countermarked coins! Couldn't afford it, even if it was...could be worth a double-check, though????? Could also just be a 'unique' bit of arsing around! I'll still take a look tomorrow night, though, unless it's 'ruled' out before then! :)

As for the countermark, it does appear rather odd. I'm still not convinced. I've requested larger images, but we'll see.

As an aside, can someone else type timeline originals into Google.co.uk and let me know what the second suggestion is? :lol:

As you can imagine, there are not a lot of image resources for the countermarked coins of E6. I've circled the regions which particularly caught my eye. There's not enough to go on unfortunately and, what looks especially similar between the two coins is, in fact, part of Edwards tunic/armour. I doubt we'll ever know and, even if we did, why anyone would be playing around with an old punch at the mint is anyone's guess!

Thanks, Clive, for securing the image! :)

Greyhound2_zps5456781f.jpg

Edited by Coinery

Only £30 markup on a £20 item - a veritable bargain - not.

I wonder if they would take a George Best Fiver for it?

I can outbid you - a Basil Fawlty tenner :D

"Si"-plus one Siberian Hamster.

Strangely, nothing comes up on Google Images, nor the Arthur Daley variant, nor the Charles & Di, nor the "Nine Bob Note" ... yet I have an example of each, sold to me by Windsor Coins at a fair about 12 years ago. I know I'm not imagining it because I sold several of them at my antiques centre display!

That's the one David! Though I just checked, and mine doesn't have that rainbow AT on the reverse :lol:

These must be from the same series :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dads-Army-Novelty-Bank-Notes-/281191985982?pt=UK_Coins_Banknotes_GL&hash=item417859333e

Mine also comprise a £5 'Bank of Fulham' Arthur Daley, a £10 'Bank of Torquay' Basil Fawlty, and a £50 'Bank of Wales' Charles and Di.

As you can imagine, there are not a lot of image resources for the countermarked coins of E6. I've circled the regions which particularly caught my eye. There's not enough to go on unfortunately and, what looks especially similar between the two coins is, in fact, part of Edwards tunic/armour. I doubt we'll ever know and, even if we did, why anyone would be playing around with an old punch at the mint is anyone's guess!

Whilst odd to use such a punch of Edward posthumously it strikes me as more odd that it is used in such a location on the coin. :unsure:

Whilst odd to use such a punch of Edward posthumously it strikes me as more odd that it is used in such a location on the coin. :unsure:

I think we've got crossed wires, as the punch was used posthumously on the Edward coins in the Elizabeth reign! If it was the greyhound punch on the sixpence, it could only ever have been someone messing around at the mint, so its purpose and location on the coin would be meaningless anyway!

It's too unlikely to be a possibility, of course! :)

I think we've got crossed wires, as the punch was used posthumously on the Edward coins in the Elizabeth reign! If it was the greyhound punch on the sixpence, it could only ever have been someone messing around at the mint, so its purpose and location on the coin would be meaningless anyway!

Yes, I meant that it'd be odd to use such a punch on Elizabeth's coins and, even if it were used, it would be a most unusual place for it as it doesn't fit in with the design and doesn't strike me as a 'countermark'.

TimeLines told me that their 'coin experts' believed it to be a letter E. I'm still not convinced.

Yes, I meant that it'd be odd to use such a punch on Elizabeth's coins and, even if it were used, it would be a most unusual place for it as it doesn't fit in with the design and doesn't strike me as a 'countermark'.

TimeLines told me that their 'coin experts' believed it to be a letter E. I'm still not convinced.

Nor I...someone arsing around I reckon! :)

'Rare, good' Henry III penny... At least it's 'cheap'.

Great for those who wish to buy coins in instalments! :)

Piece is the word.

:lol: I'm waiting for my second instalment, I think it's in this lot.

No AT here, so maybe it means undercooked

:lol: I'm waiting for my second instalment, I think it's in this lot.

I think you're right, it's the third piece in at 4 O'Clock! Good spot! :)

Does rare mean rare if it's used often on common pieces?

Case in point.

I think you are being overly critical here, there are also Scarce AND Superb coins in the inventory! :)

Case in point.

I think you are being overly critical here, there are also Scarce AND Superb coins in the inventory! :)

You could put as "Scarcely superbly rare"which would cover most items.

Case in point.

Got one thing right though. 1901 penny is a key date. Nothing comes close in terms of availability for the veiled head penny.

Case in point.

Got one thing right though. 1901 penny is a key date. Nothing comes close in terms of availability for the veiled head penny.

:lol:

Ha ha ha - I was scrolling down the posts (it's early morning catch up here) and was about to say exactly the same thing !!