British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Oh, JC, a reserve on it too!

Couldn't resist posting some of the details, just in case anyone fancies buying it!

A "rear" hammered [sounds fun for a virgin queen] queen elizabeth the first 1562 silver coin "with the sheild on other side" [well we'd better have that one then!] in good condition for its age the pictures ive put on are poor but the markings on both sides are easy to see and would look good in a "coin collectors collection" [indeed it would!].

Well if you think that one is good then have a wee snipe on this one

Item number:

What is going on there? £650 starting bid? For a regular, though genuine for a change, 1562 THREEPENCE? I've got a box of coins in that grade she can help herself to at £50 a pop...everyone's a winner! The pewter copies of 1562 are generally threepences, rather than 6d's, which ebayers nearly always list them as! tch! :rolleyes:

What is going on there? £650 starting bid? For a regular, though genuine for a change, 1562 THREEPENCE? I've got a box of coins in that grade she can help herself to at £50 a pop...everyone's a winner! The pewter copies of 1562 are generally threepences, rather than 6d's, which ebayers nearly always list them as! tch! :rolleyes:

Hmm. Three fairly new bidders. When I looked earlier two of them had 100% bidding history with the seller. I wonder what could be going on there... :rolleyes:

Hmm. Three fairly new bidders. When I looked earlier two of them had 100% bidding history with the seller. I wonder what could be going on there... :rolleyes:

Well it is half a shilling ... baffling otherwise!

:lol:

The lady who I advised had a replica 1562 "coin" messaged me tonight calling me a nasty person

and she might report me to ebay for abuse. :blink:

I had merely pointed her to the direction of 2 more replicas after my initial

message.

She also said she had 7 children and was selling it for a friend.

Brain of Britain? I don't think so.

The lady who I advised had a replica 1562 "coin" messaged me tonight calling me a nasty person

message.

Can't be a fake then, stand down Peter!

A quarter, Paulus! It's a 3d :)

A quarter, Paulus! It's a 3d :)

Oh yes lol, I'm actually quite good at figures too! Which means of course that if it WAS a sixpence there would be twice as many fake bidders! :D

message.

When I bought my first hammered coin, I spent my whole time thinking 'this can't be real, surely?' 'A sixpence of E1 for less than £20, no way, can't be genuine?'

How is it, then, that for everyone else, who know absolutely nothing about coins, and who have probably never even seen a Tudor coin before, let alone own one, take so much convincing that the item they have is actually a fake? It never ceases to amaze me?

message.

When I bought my first hammered coin, I spent my whole time thinking 'this can't be real, surely?' 'A sixpence of E1 for less than £20, no way, can't be genuine?'

How is it, then, that for everyone else, who know absolutely nothing about coins, and who have probably never even seen a Tudor coin before, let alone own one, take so much convincing that the item they have is actually a fake? It never ceases to amaze me?

I had the same feeling, when I started collecting Roman, Tudor and medieval coins ... how on earth can the half-decent examples I had acquired for a few quid be for real? I believed them to be, but if someone had said at the time " ha-ha, of course you realise these are 19th/20th century forgeries!" I would not have been surprised!

But some people have a different perspective on things I think!!

Another bidder has entered the foray. Shame they, too, have 100% bidding activity with the seller...

Another bidder has entered the foray. Shame they, too, have 100% bidding activity with the seller...

My guess is the seller's young, got a few mates in the pub watching it, and showing off the sale of an old coin that they found...or something very similar?

Stuart, the seller clearly knows what they're talking about. Her response to an innocent question by an 'unsuspecting' eBayer was as follows:

"ive had this coin since my dad passed away in 1996 he was a collector ,,had it valued ,, its worth a lot more but I thought ide start auction low ,,its exact coin to ths one ,,,thanks for intrest ,,,ebay id 260642742187 "

Great. So it's now a countermarked 'sixpence', too. Perfect.

Stuart, the seller clearly knows what they're talking about. Her response to an innocent question by an 'unsuspecting' eBayer was as follows:

"ive had this coin since my dad passed away in 1996 he was a collector ,,had it valued ,, its worth a lot more but I thought ide start auction low ,,its exact coin to ths one ,,,thanks for intrest ,,,ebay id 260642742187 "

Great. So it's now a countermarked 'sixpence', too. Perfect.

What's interesting, is she doesn't point to this comparison in her listing, so who's bidding?

Also, Timeline, how I skip past their listings! I love the 'unique, unrecorded' countermark and their 'illustrated certificate of authenticity'! :)

Having said that, I'm not in a position to check it properly now, but that 'unique' countermark does have a whiff of back and fore-legs of a sitting greyhound about it? I'd certainly be measuring up the punch height and looking at the E6 countermarked coins! Couldn't afford it, even if it was...could be worth a double-check, though????? Could also just be a 'unique' bit of arsing around! I'll still take a look tomorrow night, though, unless it's 'ruled' out before then! :)

What's interesting, is she doesn't point to this comparison in her listing, so who's bidding?

Story time.

Bidder 1: 33% activity with seller.

Bidder 2: 100% activity with seller.

Bidder 3: 33% activity with seller.

Bidder 1 has their only other two bids with just one seller in the Clothing category. Bidder 3 has their only other two bids with, conveniently, just one seller in Baby Clothes. As for the other bidder, 100% activity with same seller but retracted as 'Entered Wrong Amount'. What's the bet the two sellers in the Clothing categories are Bidders 1 and 3?

Having said that, I'm not in a position to check it properly now, but that 'unique' countermark does have a whiff of back and fore-legs of a sitting greyhound about it? I'd certainly be measuring up the punch height and looking at the E6 countermarked coins! Couldn't afford it, even if it was...could be worth a double-check, though????? Could also just be a 'unique' bit of arsing around! I'll still take a look tomorrow night, though, unless it's 'ruled' out before then! :)

As for the countermark, it does appear rather odd. I'm still not convinced. I've requested larger images, but we'll see.

As an aside, can someone else type timeline originals into Google.co.uk and let me know what the second suggestion is? :lol:

Story time.

Bidder 1: 33% activity with seller.

Bidder 2: 100% activity with seller.

Bidder 3: 33% activity with seller.

Bidder 1 has their only other two bids with just one seller in the Clothing category. Bidder 3 has their only other two bids with, conveniently, just one seller in Baby Clothes. As for the other bidder, 100% activity with same seller but retracted as 'Entered Wrong Amount'. What's the bet the two sellers in the Clothing categories are Bidders 1 and 3?

I was just going to say 'I wonder if people are thinking it's the rare large bust 3D on account she's calling it a sixpence'?

But you've just answered that one! :)

I was just going to say 'I wonder if people are thinking it's the rare large bust 3D on account she's calling it a sixpence'?

I asked eBay to check the IP addresses of the five members. I woke up to the listing gone. Some form of natural order is restored.

I asked eBay to check the IP addresses of the five members. I woke up to the listing gone. Some form of natural order is restored.

Well done, good move. ;)

Only £30 markup on a £20 item - a veritable bargain - not.

I wonder if they would take a George Best Fiver for it?

I can outbid you - a Basil Fawlty tenner :D

i got mine too.......i wonder if people dont get allocated one, that some may pay these silly prices....