British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Same here Stuart, its always the same

(null)

Same here Stuart, its always the same

(null)

I could back money on it! Maybe that's what I should do in future, get a bet placed with William Hill to cover the overspend? :) Edited by Coinery

Spinks are always way over on coins in this era. CCGB excepted, all the price guides are a bit sniffy about eBay, I suspect, and don't see it as "real" auctions, so don't see the prices achieved as "real" prices.

It would be interesting, but a lot of work, to compile a price guide just from eBay, and see how it compares with the big four. I suspect it would look something like this:

CCGB - about right

Coin Yearbook - too low

British Coins Market Values - a lot too low

Spink - way too high.

Maybe I'm just unlucky with the Spink's guide then as, whenever I see something at auction that I really want, just for me, which isn't often, it always sails WAY over the Spink guide! :(

Spink price the commonest types.

Trouble is if you really like something several others will too.

Edited by Peter

Oh wow. What is that thing on the obverse?

I think I may have dated her in the past :D

I think I may have dated her in the past :D

:lol::lol:

You're going to get that for your wifes Christmas are'nt you Peter. I can forsee a divorce ;)

Amazed at the lengths date collectors will go to to fill a gap (unless I'm missing something?) ... this is not even Fair in my book!

1839 HC

It looks very like one that went in the June DNW sale. I don't remember the exact price but it was well over my punt at it. If it is the same one, from memory, there won't be much if any profit as I seem to recall the DNW one went above £500 plus. Add on the buyers premium and then take ebay fees into account and it will be close to break even.

I've been watching this for entertainment purposes.

I've just emailed the seller and told him it is a retail £3 coin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290953441637?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There is also a pewter 1562 6d for sale although I've referred her to 3 identical replica coins.

Anyone willing to pay £670 for a Poor Vicky halfcrown must have a screw loose. Where's the pleasure in owning that? To take it out at regular intervals, coo over it, and tell yourself it is possibly genuine if only there was enough detail to tell?

Anyone willing to pay £670 for a Poor Vicky halfcrown must have a screw loose. Where's the pleasure in owning that? To take it out at regular intervals, coo over it, and tell yourself it is possibly genuine if only there was enough detail to tell?

Couldn't agree more Peck, definitely not my cup of tea! One of my many criteria for what I keep or sell is 'do I enjoy owning/looking/holding it, does it have eye appeal and a sense of history for me?' That one to me is utterly ridiculous, it's not even as if you could use the weight to authenticate it with any certainty!!

Bet you didn't know that defaced 1967 halfpennies are legal tender and recognised by every monetary authority worldwide

Harry Potter makes rainbow toning look attractive

Amazed at the lengths date collectors will go to to fill a gap (unless I'm missing something?) ... this is not even Fair in my book!

1839 HC

What's that VAT 20% thing? Never seen that on eBay before!

I've been watching this for entertainment purposes.

I've just emailed the seller and told him it is a retail £3 coin.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290953441637?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

There is also a pewter 1562 6d for sale although I've referred her to 3 identical replica coins.

Wow, how the hell does anyone find the time to list nearly 3500 items on eBay! My hero! :)

Couldn't find the 6d amongst them, though?

Oh, JC, a reserve on it too!

Couldn't resist posting some of the details, just in case anyone fancies buying it!

A "rear" hammered [sounds fun for a virgin queen] queen elizabeth the first 1562 silver coin "with the sheild on other side" [well we'd better have that one then!] in good condition for its age the pictures ive put on are poor but the markings on both sides are easy to see and would look good in a "coin collectors collection" [indeed it would!].

Couldn't agree more Peck, definitely not my cup of tea! One of my many criteria for what I keep or sell is 'do I enjoy owning/looking/holding it, does it have eye appeal and a sense of history for me?' That one to me is utterly ridiculous, it's not even as if you could use the weight to authenticate it with any certainty!!

I entirely agree, but...... if you are a completist with a relatively modest budget, how are you going to fill the 1839 gap? To buy a decent quality one is going to run into many thousands and that's out of many people's reach, so a grotty one like this may be the only way to fill up the nagging hole. Of course, this is a good argument against being a completist at all, but some of us can't help that. For me it goes back to the days of collecting Brooke Bond tea cards and sticking them in an album. Albums had to be completed at all costs and so the completist is born! :)

Bet you didn't know that defaced 1967 halfpennies are legal tender and recognised by every monetary authority worldwide

Harry Potter makes rainbow toning look attractive

Ah, but are they Type 1 or Type 2? Is the P of POTTER to a tooth or a space, that's what I'd like to know :D

I entirely agree, but...... if you are a completist with a relatively modest budget, how are you going to fill the 1839 gap? To buy a decent quality one is going to run into many thousands and that's out of many people's reach, so a grotty one like this may be the only way to fill up the nagging hole. Of course, this is a good argument against being a completist at all, but some of us can't help that. For me it goes back to the days of collecting Brooke Bond tea cards and sticking them in an album. Albums had to be completed at all costs and so the completist is born! :)

Well, ok, but I'd have to be a pretty wealthy completist, or else keep my wife in the attic, if I had £670 to blow on a very very grotty specimen of the numismatic art (that may or may not be genuine...) :o

Oh, JC, a reserve on it too!

Couldn't resist posting some of the details, just in case anyone fancies buying it!

A "rear" hammered [sounds fun for a virgin queen] queen elizabeth the first 1562 silver coin "with the sheild on other side" [well we'd better have that one then!] in good condition for its age the pictures ive put on are poor but the markings on both sides are easy to see and would look good in a "coin collectors collection" [indeed it would!].

Well if you think that one is good then have a wee snipe on this one

Item number: