British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

He desn't even accept paypal from UK addresses

Yes, I remember annoyingly being refunded my PayPal money on numerous occasions! I only ever swallowed it because they posted on arrival of cheque, rather than make you wait for clearance. It's a husband and wife team I think, S&H?

Paypal is not a level playing field /quote]

100% agree, but it's a great weapon when chancing it with eBay chancers! :)

I don't fully understand the bidder readings but, would I be right in thinking that this 300943501479 was bid to £120 in under 4 mins of it being listed? Very few auction coins hit such lofty heights with a week still to go!

Edit: PS thanks for the earlier link Azda! :)

Edited by Coinery

Paypal is not a level playing field /quote]

100% agree, but it's a great weapon when chancing it with eBay chancers! :)

And it's the ONLY practical method of paying if you're disabled.

He does'nt ha e a choice, he must accept paypal from everyone or else he's infringing ebay rules and you know how ebay Love to get their cash, so if it was reported they'll pull his auctions

I did wonder if n***2 was a shill bidder id. Someone with time on their hands can plough through his/her past sales to see if this is a regular bidder throughout past listings. Sorry, don't have the patience.

This is a recurring Name on his auctions, only bids with him, never seems to find another hammered ANYWHERE else on ebay

Member Id: g***es.gif( 0 )

Yes, I remember annoyingly being refunded my PayPal money on numerous occasions! I only ever swallowed it because they posted on arrival of cheque, rather than make you wait for clearance. It's a husband and wife team I think, S&H?

Yes, Heather and .. Steven?

When I bought from them in May I paid by paypal without problem. I think it's just they say they don't want it in the listing details, but I suspect it would be difficult not to accept it, given it's ebay.

Decent stock, but I don't know what to make of the bidding ..

Or where the stock comes from! Do you think they need a forum link to this thread, just to calm them down a bit?

£122 within 4 mins is good going with over a week to run...c'mon B'coe, sort it out!

I don't fully understand the bidder readings but, would I be right in thinking that this 300943501479 was bid to £120 in under 4 mins of it being listed? Very few auction coins hit such lofty heights with a week still to go!

Edit: PS thanks for the earlier link Azda! :)

In a word, no. It took 3 days.

Edited by Nick

I'll have to relook, as I honestly thought the £100+ bid time was minutes after the listing time?

I believe Stuart is correct:

1595_SH_eBay_zps0455d70f.png

Sorry Paulus, but you don't seem to understand the bidding screen either. At the instant in question ie 4 mins after bidding opened (22:00:23 on the 22-Aug-13) the only bidder was a***i(1282). Therefore the current winning bid at that point was the opening bid ie £0.01.

I believe Stuart is correct:

1595_SH_eBay_zps0455d70f.png

Sorry Paulus, but you don't seem to understand the bidding screen either. At the instant in question ie 4 mins after bidding opened (22:00:23 on the 22-Aug-13) the only bidder was a***i(1282). Therefore the current winning bid at that point was the opening bid ie £0.01.

Fairy Nuff Nick, I see what you mean!

I'll have to relook, as I honestly thought the £100+ bid time was minutes after the listing time?

It's true the £107 bid was made 4 minutes after bidding opened, but you need other bidders to push the current winning bid up and it took nearly 2 days to pass the £100 mark.

It's true the £107 bid was made 4 minutes after bidding opened, but you need other bidders to push the current winning bid up and it took nearly 2 days to pass the £100 mark.

Of course, but this is my def of protection/shilling! List a coin, protect it immediately with a bid you won't accept less than (the newly listed brigade are surely smart enough not to place their top bid within 4 mins of listing, with 7/10 days to run, hoping they'll get a bargain?), and then go to bed for the week, forgetting all about it!

That's how I see it! ???

Of course, but this is my def of protection/shilling! List a coin, protect it immediately with a bid you won't accept less than (the newly listed brigade are surely smart enough not to place their top bid within 4 mins of listing, with 7/10 days to run, hoping they'll get a bargain?), and then go to bed for the week, forgetting all about it!

That's how I see it! ???

It's possible that it's a protection bid, 25% of that bidder's bids have been with that seller in the last 30 days but nothing has been won. It would help to find out the full eBay id for that bidder.

What to you think our friend Senor Lucido might mean by 'Specimen' here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251324082190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Not sure - it's definitely not a matt proof, but it has a superb obverse strike. Perhaps 'specimen' is the 'new Choice' ? :P

What to you think our friend Senor Lucido might mean by 'Specimen' here?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251324082190?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

Not sure - it's definitely not a matt proof, but it has a superb obverse strike. Perhaps 'specimen' is the 'new Choice' ? :P

I assumed that too! Aware of the description for certain coins/types but not generally!!

I would say over-dipped and cleaned from the images

I would say over-dipped and cleaned from the images

Totally agree, if that coin has full mint lustre I'd be extremely surprised. It could be the photography, but it's not something that generally lets Lucido down!

That's how I see it! ???

Totally agree about the protection bid. You just need to watch if the same Person does it a few times then you'll know for sure Edited by azda

That's how I see it! ???

Totally agree about the protection bid. You just need to watch if the same Person does it a few times then you'll know for sure
In view of Nick's observations "It's possible that it's a protection bid, 25% of that bidder's bids have been with that seller in the last 30 days but nothing has been won. It would help to find out the full eBay id for that bidder," I think it's really suspicious! A similar thing happened to their Mary Groat I was going to bid on!

Still makes me burn, when I think of the insulting online course my father and I had to complete to unlock our accounts, for a dog cage that he wouldn't have sold for less than the reserve (which you pay for) anyway! Grrrr!