British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

I am just wondering what 'pretend' process the TPG must be going through to 'authenticate' it and 'grade' it! What are the terms of reference?? All seems very meaningless to me, but as long as the submitter is happy ... !

I am just wondering what 'pretend' process the TPG must be going through to 'authenticate' it and 'grade' it! What are the terms of reference?? All seems very meaningless to me, but as long as the submitter is happy ... !

The submitter could well be the TPGC itself? You know how CGS love to rattle out those mint state 1967 pennies! ;)

The submitter could well be the TPGC itself? You know how CGS love to rattle out those mint state 1967 pennies! ;)

That's very true Stuart! I have a very too trusting nature and tend to take things at face value too much! Both London Coins and The London Coin Company churn out slabbed 'Cameo' 'Early Strikes' and the like by the hundred as soon as they can obtain them from whatever mint!

Tch, what a cheek! I ask you!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310767665988?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D310767665988%26_rdc%3D1

No wonder she never got married! Early example of a he-she?

The only clear legend is REX - which is a bit of a giveaway. No?

Indeed so, should be enough of a clue, unless back then you could not change your regnal attribution (following a sex change)!

I found it interesting to learn that under the new change to the royal law of succession, the first born is the first in line to the throne (rather than the first born male).

If this rule had been in force in Victoria's time we would have has Kaiser Wilhelm as our king (Kaiser BIll!!) (rather than Edward VII), since he was the first born of Victoria's first born, who died before Victoria. Wonder how different the 'Great War' would have been then!

I know it's not meant to be taken seriously (or perhaps it is?) but that's one god-ugly coin. I've occasionally bought them as part of bulk lots but they're on e-bay the next day. I just can't stand to keep them with real coins!

So what do we think of the price

Not bad considering it's not even a sixpence OR milled! It's difficult to have sympathy for someone who blindly bids on eBay coins without even the basic read-around to distinguish denomination and differences between hammered and milled!

Even though it's a pewter coin, it's still a reasonable representation of type, ie a 'hammered' threepence!

Interestingly, about three months ago, I got my second warning from eBay for 'unsolicited emails' when I sent a polite and, what I thought, helpful link to a genuine example of type (not one of mine, I hasten to add). After my previous (dog cage) suspended sentence from eBay, I now just race in there, grab what I can, and get out, knowing I'll need a good shower to rid myself of the dirt afterwards! :)

Edit: just realised Dave's and Peter's coins aren't the same...hence ' not bad' I was referring to £58 for the pewter 3D...terrible isn't it? I just paid less for a really nice genuine Rose/Cross-Crosslet penny! :D (glad Rob only paid it a passing glance!)

Edited by Coinery

That seems a little steep, doesn't it?

I just paid less for a really nice genuine Rose/Cross-Crosslet penny! :D (glad Rob only paid it a passing glance!)

That's alright. I think I waste most of my time on ebay making a note of the odd thing worth bidding on, but then forget to bid at the last moment. Not the hundred and first time I've done it, and certainly not the last. Need to get more organised. Looking at the image I would have bid on it.

I've sold three now in excess of £200, and a couple just under, I think they are more popular than people give them credit for!

Here's the last one I sold!

http://george-coins.co.uk/UNCAU-Edward-VII-LOW-TIDE-1902-Penny-P3139016.aspx

Nice coin Coinery. I like your price better to! LOL!

I've sold three now in excess of £200, and a couple just under, I think they are more popular than people give them credit for!

Here's the last one I sold!http://george-coins.co.uk/UNCAU-Edward-VII-LOW-TIDE-1902-Penny-P3139016.aspx

Being honest Stuart £200+ is very good money as UNCs sell between £120 and £170 depending on the day, but £255 from Mr Blyth was with a helping Hand from his buddy

Just as a point of interest, I wonder where Spink's is gathering its data from to catalogue the Low-Tide Penny at £175 EF and £325 UNC?

Spinks are always way over on coins in this era. CCGB excepted, all the price guides are a bit sniffy about eBay, I suspect, and don't see it as "real" auctions, so don't see the prices achieved as "real" prices.

It would be interesting, but a lot of work, to compile a price guide just from eBay, and see how it compares with the big four. I suspect it would look something like this:

CCGB - about right

Coin Yearbook - too low

British Coins Market Values - a lot too low

Spink - way too high.

CCGB 2013 has it at £200 in UNC

The 2010 was £100 in UNC, just as a thought Stuart you mentioned you've sold 3 now, so it might be that they are more common than we are led to believe, and i think you still have another on your website

Edited by azda

Not so much an error on the part of the seller, but I wonder why this modern item was made, but more importantly why it was struck as it was, with the threepence embedded in it and an inscription that suggests the 12 sided threepence was produced between 1937 and 1948. What happened to 1949 to 1952?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/History-of-British-Coinage-George-VI-three-pence-1937-1948-/151143091993?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2330d48f19

Not so much an error on the part of the seller, but I wonder why this modern item was made, but more importantly why it was struck as it was, with the threepence embedded in it and an inscription that suggests the 12 sided threepence was produced between 1937 and 1948. What happened to 1949 to 1952?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/History-of-British-Coinage-George-VI-three-pence-1937-1948-/151143091993?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2330d48f19

Probably looked at Spink or CCGB etc. IND IMP was dropped from 1949, so comes under a different reference number

Probably looked at Spink or CCGB etc. IND IMP was dropped from 1949, so comes under a different reference number

There's nothing like attention to detail. Still, I guess if the Mint can use the wrong punch for the 2008 20p obverse, then I guess anything is possible.

Spinks are always way over on coins in this era. CCGB excepted, all the price guides are a bit sniffy about eBay, I suspect, and don't see it as "real" auctions, so don't see the prices achieved as "real" prices.

It would be interesting, but a lot of work, to compile a price guide just from eBay, and see how it compares with the big four. I suspect it would look something like this:

CCGB - about right

Coin Yearbook - too low

British Coins Market Values - a lot too low

Spink - way too high.

Maybe I'm just unlucky with the Spink's guide then as, whenever I see something at auction that I really want, just for me, which isn't often, it always sails WAY over the Spink guide! :(