British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Someone just isn't concentrating...wrong monarch, and has taken two different photos of the obverse, and then described it 'tudor rose on the obverse AND reverse'! Different! :) It did take me an age to be certain in wasn't a double-obverse J1 halfpenny though, I would've surely bought it first, if it was! Could of course be Charles, if it IS a different image, but I think it's the same! ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1577-A-D-Queen-Elizabeth-I-England-Tudor-Period-Hammered-Silver-Half-Penny-Coin/350877017105?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1358177517531278611%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D130989863417%26

edit: could be a start to your small denomination C1 collection, TG, if there's another rose on the back? ;)

Edited by Coinery

Makes you wonder why they made and stockpiled Charles I halfpennies at the Tower from 1577 onwards until required 50 years later, but then subsequently produced Elizabethan halfpennies in the intervening 6th and 7th issue periods, not to mention the issues during the reign of James 1st. :blink: It also isn't only sloppy listing. Someone has gone out of their way to write a load of spiel about the coin which is patently wrong ie. they weren't striking halfpennies in 1577. If you are going to write crap, it should at least be plausible with a potential match to the historical evidence.

Well done Saxby's.

Makes you wonder why they made and stockpiled Charles I halfpennies at the Tower from 1577 onwards until required 50 years later, but then subsequently produced Elizabethan halfpennies in the intervening 6th and 7th issue periods, not to mention the issues during the reign of James 1st. :blink: It also isn't only sloppy listing. Someone has gone out of their way to write a load of spiel about the coin which is patently wrong ie. they weren't striking halfpennies in 1577. If you are going to write crap, it should at least be plausible with a potential match to the historical evidence.

Well done Saxby's.

:lol: I'm only guessing the Tudors must have known the Stuarts were coming! Leaves me dumbstruck!

It did take me an age to be certain in wasn't a double-obverse J1 halfpenny though, I would've surely bought it first, if it was! Could of course be Charles, if it IS a different image, but I think it's the same! ;)

Does that mean we now have dibs, Stuart?

It did take me an age to be certain in wasn't a double-obverse J1 halfpenny though, I would've surely bought it first, if it was! Could of course be Charles, if it IS a different image, but I think it's the same! ;)

Does that mean we now have dibs, Stuart?

Would certainly be interesting to see the other side, as the obverse doesn't look too bad? I'm skint! :(

I struggle a bit with this 111166284413 one from a seller who has endless feedbacks from coin related sales! Was he really innocent re the replica status of this pewter disc? 9 bids already!

The incredibly-rare Henry VII groat of Calais mint sold by a country cottage!! I never thought I'd see one of these in my lifetime. :o:o:o

Azda might have some opinions!

:lol: I hope Azda likes one of the most common Henry VI groats.

Would you believe it? Another Calais annulet issue of Henry VII?! This time from another of our friends.

P.S. And a Henry V, also of Calais. Blimey. Forget DNW, CNG & Spink - eBay is the place for genuine rarities lately...

Edited by HistoricCoinage

Would you believe it? Another Calais annulet issue of Henry VII?! This time from another of our friends.

Not sure about that soldery-looking blob, either!

Don't worry Stuart. It's been lovingly described as "The coin has not been cleaned and displays natural tone alover."

Not sure about that soldery-looking blob, either!

Don't worry Stuart. It's been lovingly described as "The coin has not been cleaned and displays natural tone alover."

Ahh, a natural toned lover, it's been such a long time! Though I do prefer mine cleaned! :)

Such a relief, all my worries are over! After a year on half salary, and a big bill for ankle replacement surgery imminent, all I have to do to get back to normal and resume filling my Early Milled Silver ESC gaps is to buy from good old Saxby's and filter through DNW auctions et al! Result!!

Such a relief, all my worries are over! After a year on half salary, and a big bill for ankle replacement surgery imminent, all I have to do to get back to normal and resume filling my Early Milled Silver ESC gaps is to buy from good old Saxby's and filter through DNW auctions et al! Result!!

Or, better yet, why not ask what ESC rarities Saxby's can offer you? :)

That is very tempting, I have the devil in me at the moment! :)

P.S. And a Henry V, also of Calais. Blimey. Forget DNW, CNG & Spink - eBay is the place for genuine rarities lately...

Does this bloke have any concept of English history? Did Henry V return from the grave nearly 30 years after he died? It's almost a numismatic version of 'Cluedo' - mix and match your description to suit the mood. I says it was Richard IV with a groat in Calais in AD950 wot dun it.

Don't even think about it. It's hard enough trying to interpret his listings without you playing devil's advocate and subconciously forcing him to introduce a whole new series. :(

Does this bloke have any concept of English history? Did Henry V return from the grave nearly 30 years after he died? It's almost a numismatic version of 'Cluedo' - mix and match your description to suit the mood. I says it was Richard IV with a groat in Calais in AD950 wot dun it.

Perhaps it's the unique Pattern Crown depicting the twinned busts of the Princes in the Tower with Lady Jane Grey and a Richard III (Leicester) Mintmark that they will put forward next ... I wonder how many of those still exist??

Perhaps it's the unique Pattern Crown depicting the twinned busts of the Princes in the Tower with Lady Jane Grey and a Richard III (Leicester) Mintmark that they will put forward next ... I wonder how many of those still exist??

As many as can be sold. ;)

It's almost a numismatic version of 'Cluedo' - mix and match your description to suit the mood. I says it was Richard IV with a groat in Calais in AD950 wot dun it.

:lol: I just love the fact that the Calais mint seems to have been in operation for a couple hundred more years. There's legs for a BNJ article here. Who wants to let Ben know that he should write-up his findings?

Edited by HistoricCoinage

The incredibly-rare Henry VII groat of Calais mint sold by a country cottage!! I never thought I'd see one of these in my lifetime. :o:o:o

He's taken it off

He's taken it off

Perhaps he read our posts. Fear not, Dave, you can still win it here.

Nice coin all the same

My S1836 was one of the earlier hammered purchases by myself.(common)

I liked the fact that Calais was part of England at the time.

It's a pity we didn't extend the Chunnel to go to the Med via The Loire :)

He's taken it off

Perhaps he read our posts. Fear not, Dave, you can still win it here.

Predecimal Advisory Service tooooo the rescue! We're happening! I'm guessing there'll be a bottle of wine in the post for us all? :)