British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

If you look down sonofcorks FB, you 'll find Country Cottage interiors, Surrey Coins (richparfishing), and dear old Roy Dinsdale.

I wonder if they're all in the same lodge? :ph34r:

Ironically. sonofcork bought one of those fake 1864 florins from RD last year.

Nice, but did he really? Was it a BIN or auction, as declan above pointed out, are they all in the same lodge? Another that was involved was Victoria*bronze wonder if that Name has been used recently

I see Platt is at his shill bidding best.....Sold on the 29th for 745 Quid

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360724179440?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D360724179440%26_rdc%3D1

Relisted here, and you'll see why he's shilled it from the snippet of his text pasted below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360733248145?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D360733248145%26_rdc%3D1

I'm sure we'll all agree about his grade of NEF, he's obviously trying for the 4 figure bids judging by his text

An opportunity to acquire a superb example of the extremely rare

1827 GEORGE IV COPPER PENNY in near EF condition.

The 1827 penny is a virtually impossible date to locate in anything better than VF condition with Spink’s 2013 catalogue

suggesting a price of £875 in VF and £3,500 in EF.

So we can take it as read that the first winning bidder is likely to be a shiller for him

Just to put this one to bed and to positively ID the fact this was a shill bid, there was a FB left for Platt in August from barrybestcoins, so we can safely say that this is another ebayer involved with MP

top class buyer A+++ highly recommended 10/10 thanks for BACS payment Seller:

23-Aug-13 18:37

Platt has changed his id from *classic*british*coins* to now bitish-coins-uk where you can see the FB left

Just to add, another of his shill bidders is currently winning the 1827 Penny...............sonofcork with a 401 FB (yes Martin, i can see you private listing) ;)

BACS payment, that handly keeps paypal out of the loop

Woah! I just thought! I have all these 1967 pennies. Now if only there was a way to alter them to read 1962 I could make a fortune!

oh, wait .....

:P

I have a 1967 penny "7 over a barrel", which I could let you have for a song :D

Surrey coins and Country Cottage interiors are a definate, Country Cottage is his wife and surrey was his main shiller when his id was *classic*british*coins* just need to keep one eye on barrybest now as he's now in the mix for bidding previously on the 1827 and winning

This is another that sold a few days back that he's relisted 360733235133

Here is the original

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360724223826?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D360724223826%26_rdc%3D1

Who is the shill on this one? n***6 doesn't fit in with the characters I'm familiar with. The description is a joke on this one. Excessively rare - not. Quite common compared to a lot of Soho pieces thanks to the number that have entered the market courtesy of the Boulton family. Obviously doesn't read the Circular, or if read promptly ignored Mick's article. Auction prices suggest 1500-2000 - where? Anyone paying that amount for a P1258 needs to see a man in a white coat. £400-600 is about right for this in the current market, so the underbidder wasn't being unreasonable. You can get one of the rarer types of 1797 proof pennies for just over 1K, so why pay nearly double for something common?

Who is the shill on this one?

o***t (2001) I reckon. Although only 11% bids with this seller, and shops for all sorts of other stuff, he's retracted 49 bids. I've been shopping on eBay nearly 10 years and I've never retracted a bid.

o***t (2001) I reckon. Although only 11% bids with this seller, and shops for all sorts of other stuff, he's retracted 49 bids. I've been shopping on eBay nearly 10 years and I've never retracted a bid.

That one only bid up to 150 on the first listing. Sorry, should have said r***6 - crap eyesight. He won it at the beginning of the month.

That one only bid up to 150 on the first listing. Sorry, should have said r***6 - crap eyesight. He won it at the beginning of the month.

Definitely r***6 (2630) who is btret46 whose last dealings with british-coins-uk resulted in him leaving feedback "MADE A MISTAKE WITH BID, SELLER VERY HELPFUL AND CANCELLED BID". This is not the first time that this ebay id has popped up with connection to a suspicious transaction.

Platts botty must be quivering now with that 1827 still at half of what it was last time, with 40 mins to go :D lurvvvvve it

Greed never pays Martin

Edited by azda

Do you have the eBay no. or link to the one finishing in <40 mins Dave?

Edit: Guess I missed it, what did it go for, any more shilling?

Edited by Paulus

Went at £373, half of what he sold it at 10 days ago, again to his shill bidder

Just for your info, i've just changed my ebay Name to classicbritishcoins. Those of you who know me well will see the irony in my choice :D

Risky move, Dave, if you think that people have cottoned on the MP ring.

Perhaps something like "notintheirclub"

or "notquitethefullshilling" :D

or "notquitethefullshilling" :D

Lol

Went at £373, half of what he sold it at 10 days ago, again to his shill bidder

Another one sold to his buddy sonofcork 360733063227 so by my reckoning he's spent over £150 in fees so far. He'll need to up his game and clean another coin to make it back. Doing well Mr P :D

Another conveniently misidentified coin by Saxby's. First they were selling buckets of Edward V pennies, now coins of Matilda...

'Stylised A' mintmark on this fine detailed VF obverse! :D

Another conveniently misidentified coin by Saxby's. First they were selling buckets of Edward V pennies, now coins of Matilda...

Saxby's has always been a byword for things to avoid IMHO. Thankfully the listings always used to be obvious and so easily avoided. Not looked recently though. I'll have a few Matildas if you don't mind. Well, maybe not.

Saxby's has always been a byword for things to avoid IMHO. Thankfully the listings always used to be obvious and so easily avoided. Not looked recently though. I'll have a few Matildas if you don't mind. Well, maybe not.

They always list continental hammered coins as "British found" which was fine, until their eBay feedback showed bulk purchases of coins from the continent...

They always list continental hammered coins as "British found" which was fine, until their eBay feedback showed bulk purchases of coins from the continent...

Might've helped if I remembered to put the item number in... 350869441820

Never seen a stylised A before! Inverted too!

Yes, Rob, not one to bookmark, that's for certain!

So basically they sell things - not sure what, that were purchased in a far away land called Britain - not. Yet another ebay seller with a compromised moral compass. :( They are either ignorant of what they're selling , or someone is trying to pull a fast one. Given nobody in business owns up to being in the dark about their chosen field nor should they be, it's a bit self incriminating.

Whilst the Monogram issue isn't renowned for its great portrait they're not normally as bad as this... :lol:

$T2eC16N,!)UFIc(Fw1BpBSNeWztiow~~60_12.J

Thats one ugly coin Clive. Hammered should stay hammered and not be replicated into silver proof touristy junk

Whilst the Monogram issue isn't renowned for its great portrait they're not normally as bad as this... :lol:

Aww. His mommy probably loved him.

And this was probably her :D :

post-4737-0-13965400-1379339819_thumb.jp

Aww. His mommy probably loved him.

And this was probably her :D :

attachicon.gifLeopold_I_coin_2.jpg

:lol::lol: