British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Again, not so much a laugh as a jaw dropper.

Mega Rare 1983 2p NEW PENCE - ROYAL MINT ERROR

£1250 with 40 minutes to go. OK, pretty scarce. But that's pricey for a modern decimal UK issue coin!

Plus I've never seen quite what difference it makes if it's in a Heinz or Martini set, as surely it's just the one coin you'd be interested in?

Bought on ebay 29/03/13 for £761 and sold less than a month later for close to £500 profit, not a bad couple of days work I suppose!!!!

£1250 with 40 minutes to go. OK, pretty scarce. But that's pricey for a modern decimal UK issue coin!

Plus I've never seen quite what difference it makes if it's in a Heinz or Martini set, as surely it's just the one coin you'd be interested in?

Bought on ebay 29/03/13 for £761 and sold less than a month later for close to £500 profit, not a bad couple of days work I suppose!!!!

I see the serious bidders dropped out at £191. I guess it will be on again nextweek.

I see the serious bidders dropped out at £191. I guess it will be on again nextweek.

i'll give 2p for it >.>

ahh yes rarities for the price of a pint is my speciality, if i had that sort of cash i would have the coins i want though.

Edited by scott

Maybe not a laugh, 1846?

Gothic Crown

I was the lucky winner at £1,950!! Free postage too!!! Particularly delighted as I can't find this coin in any of my reference manuals! :D

Maybe not a laugh, 1846?

Gothic Crown

I was the lucky winner at £1,950!! Free postage too!!! Particularly delighted as I can't find this coin in any of my reference manuals! :D

I think it's Davies 470 which is a plain bodice, 1846 plain edge proof. The value given by Davies for FDC is £6750 and that's 1982 prices.

Maybe not a laugh, 1846?

Gothic Crown

I think it's Davies 470 which is a plain bodice, 1846 plain edge proof. The value given by Davies for FDC is £6750 and that's 1982 prices.

Wow! (I didn't really win it!)

Don't know, from the photos if this one is genuine or not, but there is a 1846 pattern crown which is similar to the 1847 gothic. The key difference, which this one seems to have from the poor photos, is a lack of any pattern in the bodice below Victoria's border. Plus also, of course, that the date is 1846. Reference is ESC by Seaby and Rainer, number 341, page 68 of the 4th revised edition (1974), rarity R4.

As a 1847 gothic is only rated as Scarce, R4 is rather less easy to obtain, so if genuine then the price paid looks pretty good when set against a 'normal' 1847 in similar condition.

Edited by DaveG38

Don't know, from the photos if this one is genuine or not, but there is a 1846 pattern crown which is similar to the 1847 gothic. The key difference, which this one seems to have from the poor photos, is a lack of any pattern in the bodice below Victoria's border. Plus also, of course, that the date is 1946. Reference is ESC by Seaby and Rainer, number 341, page 68 of the 4th revised edition (1974), rarity R4.

As a 1847 gothic is only rated as Scarce, R4 is rather less easy to obtain, so if genuine then the price paid looks pretty good when set against a 'normal' 1847 in similar condition.

Thanks Dave, I see it now. Page 40 of the 5th edition.

THere was an example of the 1846 pattern in the HEG Paget sale of 1950 that really did not look like the coin sold when I compared pictures. Also, in some of the angles it looked as though there was a faint design in the dress below the bodice on some of the sellers pictures (look at the second row of pictures). Also, the "wear" spots were a bit curious when you look at the different pictures - all a bit blurry at least on my computer.

This coin needs to be seen in hand definately. I was scared to bid but put in a lesser one anyway which was blown out of the water.

THere was an example of the 1846 pattern in the HEG Paget sale of 1950 that really did not look like the coin sold when I compared pictures. Also, in some of the angles it looked as though there was a faint design in the dress below the bodice on some of the sellers pictures (look at the second row of pictures). Also, the "wear" spots were a bit curious when you look at the different pictures - all a bit blurry at least on my computer.

This coin needs to be seen in hand definately. I was scared to bid but put in a lesser one anyway which was blown out of the water.

I thought the same. In the end I forgot to bid anyway.

I emailed the seller a couple of pertinent questions and received less than adequate answers so decided the risk far outweighed the returns, although in the end if the coin is right somebody just stole it.

Have I missed something??????? :unsure:

Or is this just taking the p***! Def made me smile! ;)

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at his other items not someone who is familiar with coins or prepared do some research!

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at his other items not someone who is familiar with coins or prepared do some research!

They do it to try and make sure that their listing appears first in the list because the default sort criterion is price.

10k!!!!!!!!!!

They do it to try and make sure that their listing appears first in the list because the default sort criterion is price.

Are you sure? If I don't set anything, the default they select is "Soonest ending"

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Are you sure? If I don't set anything, the default they select is "Soonest ending"

Yes. If I type eg "1965 sixpence" into the "Search..." field at the top of the "My eBay" page - it returns a list of items sorted by "Price:highest first"

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Yes. If I type eg "1965 sixpence" into the "Search..." field at the top of the "My eBay" page - it returns a list of items sorted by "Price:highest first"

How odd, I always get 'Best Match'!

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Just tried the same in different browsers: in Firefox I get Best Match; in Chrome I get Price:highest first. Weird.

10k!!!!!!!!!!

Just tried the same in different browsers: in Firefox I get Best Match; in Chrome I get Price:highest first. Weird.

I always assumed it was "Best match". I use firefox.

10k!!!!!!!!!!

I always assumed it was "Best match". I use firefox.

I get best match with Firefox AND Chrome! My preference is always 'ending soonest'! ;)

I get best match with Firefox AND Chrome! My preference is always 'ending soonest'! ;)

I don't know how I've managed to get 'Price: highest first' by default in Chrome, but I'm quite glad that I have. That and 'newly listed' are the options I use most.

BTW Stuart your PM box is full.

I don't know how I've managed to get 'Price: highest first' by default in Chrome, but I'm quite glad that I have. That and 'newly listed' are the options I use most.

Thanks, Nick! It's one of those things you never notice until someone mentions it, or you start getting the feeling that nobody loves you! :)

He obviously talks to much :lol:

Possibly interesting. Looks like a gold £5 but I think this design finished in 2008,at 30g not heavy enough to be gold.My link