British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kuhli

Ebay's Worst Offerings

Yes - its in my watchlist as I don't have this variation. I did inform him about it being counterfeit and got this lengthy reply: "This original"

And he has now added "100% Genuine & guarantee - COINS - sorry this coin not silver" to his description... :rolleyes:

i wrote to him yesterday and asked him to change the description.

seuk , he sent me the same answer.

Wow, silly me thought that was a slide case! And it MUST be a proof! All for 9.99, what a steal.

Thing is that it might actually be a bit better preserved than some, but can not really tell from picture and the price needs to drop.

I believe it to to a proof coin because it is in a completely sealed acrylic case which cannot be opened without breaking the case.

Didn't try sliding it open then? :D

Over £12 for a EF Churchill bit of TAT...No thanks.

Does anyone really pay for a coin that's titled 'unknown and yellow'? Dave's probably won it with that fancy, zero-feedback, Swiss eBay account he's got! :)

Does anyone really pay for a coin that's titled 'unknown and yellow'? Dave's probably won it with that fancy, zero-feedback, Swiss eBay account he's got! :)

Someone paid £130 for a gaming counter??? There's one born every minute! I must buy a whole stack of them and put them on eBay as "YELLOW PIECE OF METAL, UNKNOWN". :D

'illustration purpose only'? Why? I hate that! With the effort put into the multi-image photo he posted, he could've got a half-decent photo of his ACTUAL coin!

'illustration purpose only'? Why? I hate that! With the effort put into the multi-image photo he posted, he could've got a half-decent photo of his ACTUAL coin!

If his actual coin was half-decent, I'm sure he would have...

Again. :(

Why did CGS slab this crap?

It is a coin worth less than £1.Why didn't they just say it is a pile of CRAP and not worth slabbing.

It makes them and the seller looking complete idiots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1915-GEORGE-V-FARTHING-CGS-VF45-/190755678959?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2c69ecaaef

Lets look at it this way Peter. If CGS were a garage and rejected every car they thought was a pile of junk they would'nt be in business very long. They are in the slabbing business and can only slab what's submitted. If people are stupid enough to slab a £1 coin and buyers stupid enough to buy it for £15 then its their problem. You and most collectors know what its worth and won't touch it. The seller will probably spend £15 on listing fees before its sold :)

Lets look at it this way Peter. If CGS were a garage and rejected every car they thought was a pile of junk they would'nt be in business very long. They are in the slabbing business and can only slab what's submitted. If people are stupid enough to slab a £1 coin and buyers stupid enough to buy it for £15 then its their problem. You and most collectors know what its worth and won't touch it. The seller will probably spend £15 on listing fees before its sold :)

I agree and would also ask where did he get the coin from in the first instance, in essence it is an expensive grading lesson for the person who submitted the coin. It would be interesting to know what grade he was expecting it to come back at?

I would also guess that Joe public will also now and then unwittingly find a coin in a draw, loft or somewhere else, and via the words google coin and authentication will end up at CGS. I have multiple queries most days from people who find a farthing of some sort and often expect that due to its age it must be worth a few bob!!

I could see a few ropey coins making their way into the system that way :)

I agree and would also ask where did he get the coin from in the first instance, in essence it is an expensive grading lesson for the person who submitted the coin. It would be interesting to know what grade he was expecting it to come back at?

I would also guess that Joe public will also now and then unwittingly find a coin in a draw, loft or somewhere else, and via the words google coin and authentication will end up at CGS. I have multiple queries most days from people who find a farthing of some sort and often expect that due to its age it must be worth a few bob!!

I could see a few ropey coins making their way into the system that way :)

Excellent point! Maybe that submitter thought he was sending off an UNC farthing? Maybe even bought it as an UNC?

Again. :(

Why did CGS slab this crap?

It is a coin worth less than £1.Why didn't they just say it is a pile of CRAP and not worth slabbing.

It makes them and the seller looking complete idiots.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1915-GEORGE-V-FARTHING-CGS-VF45-/190755678959?pt=UK_Coins_BritishMilled_RL&hash=item2c69ecaaef

Possibly the submitter thought it was the rarer F-593A...

If his actual coin was half-decent, I'm sure he would have...

Nothing beats Littleton Coin for pulling that crap. It used to be in the dark days before the internet it was THE place to get coins apart from your local dealer (granted, that was before my time :P ) but today...

Aside from the fact that this is an incredibly common date and you can pick it up for $6-7 for scrap silver at just about any place that deals with coins. They went ahead and for the picture:

A) Had an uncirculated coin, something that they don't even offer as one of the buying options

B) Had a proof coin, again something they don't even offer as a buying option

http://www.littletoncoin.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product5|10001|24551|-1|23246|89305

those prices.... i could pick up those for a fiver

Edited by scott